International Cooperation Geocache

The Alethiometrists

Recently, I learned of an international cooperation geocache project between the UK and the US:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=17412

In brief, it's a set of two, two-stage geocaches. At the first stage (there's one first stage in the US, and one first stage in the UK), you get one of the coordinates for the US second stage, and one of the coordinates for the UK second stage. The result is that, after completing the first stage, both the US geocacher and the UK geocacher have half of the coordinates they need for themselves, and half the coordinates their trans-Atlantic colleagues need. They then use the cache web pages to post a request for assistance, and exchange emails with their fellow geocachers to complete the puzzle.

I was wondering if anyone would like to try this between Canada and the United States. I could handle my end, from Raleigh-Durham, NC. As for the other end, I'm open to any location north of the border, though I'll admit I'm particularly interested in British Columbia, since I get up there sometimes.

You can post your thoughts here, or simply email me: kwmac@duke.edu

Cheers,

Ken Macdonald

The Alethiometrists

Actually there is a regular cache on the Alberta/Montana Border, called international

I might attempt this cache, as I will be near there in early June. It has not been found since October.

As for where the Alethiometrists want in B.C., I know them, and I can say they like Vancouver (the city) and/or Whistler, which is a destination of one of their travel bugs.

Interesting to hear from Happy Boy that there already is a border geocache - but this is a different concept, with two sets of widely separated caches, requiring international cooperation of ad hoc teams. I think Vancouver Island would be great - if I hadn't been so busy skiing at Cypress and Whistler back in Dec/Jan, I would have taken a ferry over to visit. I'll get in touch with Cache Runner. But perhaps we could keep this thread active, since it might spur other collaborations.

I would be willing to help. I live just a few minutes away from the Peace Arch border crossing between Canada and the USA. See this virtual cache for more details of the location.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=54874

Since this is the busiest border crossing in Western Canada, it would be an ideal location for a physical cache on this theme.

Let me know if I can help.

A few months ago, Rick Cluff from "The Early Edition" (CBC Radio 1) did a special report (and pancake breakfast) at the Peace Arch. One of the folks on that show described the Peace Arch park as one of the most monitored sites on the planet, full of hidden cameras and microphones. I would shy away from a physical cache at that site, myself (though the challenge does have a certain appeal icon_smile.gif ).

I may have jumped the gun in posting before - from what I've heard since, the folks in Victoria will be building their end of this "peace arch." It will probably take a few weeks at my end, anyway, since I've been busy re-establishing a plundered cache, among other things.

Anyway, I see no reason why there shouldn't be more international cooperation geocaches, both Canadian-US and otherwise. Keep on coming up with new ideas in this area, folks.

I once hid Vancouver Transit very close to the US border station in Peace Arch Park, without incident. But actually there are lots of places to hide a cache without drawing a lot of attention. The NW sector is primarily bush and quite suitable IMHO. My thinking is that Peace Arch Park would be easily accessible to a good number of citizens from both sides of the border given the high traffic count.