winter caching in canada

volks

i wonder if i'm the only one that has a hard time finding burried caches in the winter..the hike and hunt is still alot of fun but be more fun if the caches were off the ground.but it's not a big problem i'll try too find them again this summer

volks

I think it's just you. I have had a few no finds this winter, but that is only because the actual cache has gone missing. I will usually search for atleast 30 minutes and may times more, before giving up...and then a number of times just as I have given up, I find the cache.

I have done done any caches in the summer yet, but so far the 2 advantages to winter caches are:

1) I can pull my son on the sled, so that means we travel faster.

2) I can follow previous cachers footsteps

3) I could ski to a cache (haven't done that yet, since it would be hard with a 5 year old, but it has been a thought.

Which ones couldn't you find? Maybe they went missing.

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

I only started caching last fall, so most of my caching has been done in the winter months. The snow has made things harder in some ways, but easier in others. The tracks in the snow can be helpful, although they can also mislead. Usually the snow isn't deep enough to make finding the cache impossible, although it does add quite a bit to the camoflage.The snow has only beaten me once, that time there was enough snow to not only cover the cache, but to also cover the landmarks mentioned in the clue.

In the city areas, snow hasn't been a problem at all.

In Ottawa we have a number of cachers who make it out in -25 C weather around midnight with flashlights and shovels intent on finding Tupperware under a foot or more of snow. Just makes it a bit more interesting...and the caching stories are hilarious...LOL! And best of all it's bug-free.... with little competition....except for the odd curious cop looking to make what he figures will be a drug bust...Some of them have been educated into the art and science of geocaching now .

don't let the snow get to you. Here in Gander, Newfoundland, we have, in places. 4 feet of snow. I may not be able to hide traditional cache, but I sure can hide micros.

Try to find ways to work around the snow, like I have.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

For me also the chase is better than the catch (cache?). But, let's be honest, finding the cache is the icing on the cake - and what counts as another successfull find!! I've hidden a few caches myself and include enough information in the cheat to find the container regardless of weather conditions. I just wish everyone else did this also. There's no hard and fast rule about this, but given that there are often kids involved (big and small) you don't want them to be disappointed with a failed hunt. I think only one person couldn't find one of my caches on the first attempt and this was as a result of foul weather turning them back before they got to the actual site.

Cheers! Coupar-Angus

quote:
Originally posted by binthair:

In Ottawa we have a number of cachers who make it out in -25 C weather around midnight with flashlights and shovels

Yes, Binthair took a buried cache out with a shovel just the other day (can the next cacher bring a new container?! But so far you were the only one to find that puppy!

I think it is fairly important to try and make all Canadian caches somewhat winter freindly unless there is a good reason not too.

'Cause if you don't, you'll have the crazies like us out there shoveling the woods looking for them!

One great method Tick and Nammie use here is a string, sometimes dirty enough or colored to match the surroundings, cleverly tied to the cache box and affixed to a tree or something above the snow line.

I've done a few winter caches and the ones that excell in the snow are located above ground. These have been in standing tree stumps or in the roots of uprooted trees.

The last cache I found was hidden on the ground under a half metre of snow. It was a pain to find and took a lot of the fun out of the search. Also I had to trample down a fair area while searching which takes away from the ascetics of a winter scene.

If you want to create a four season cache hide it up high icon_wink.gif

http://members.shaw.ca/pdops/

I'd had my Vista for about a week and was a complete newbie to caching when I went to Calgary in January. I thought it might be fun to try a cache while I was there (I'd done about 2 here). With a light snow cover, and everything completely frozen solid (i.e. couldn't even move a rock!), it was not a successful experience. So yeah, I can see that it would be a problem. Here on the wet coast we don't have winters (well, not really!), so it's all good once you've got your BFL, some mud-proof boots and a rain jacket! icon_biggrin.gif

Well I just got my Etrex for christmas and remembered a story I've seen on the discovery channel about geocaching. I couldn't wait till spring or even summer so on New Years Day I looked up a couple of caches in my area (Miramichi the most best place on earth!) and began the hunt. We looked for four with no luck. There was lots of snow and I suspect one was taken away by the tide. Still not detered, we attempted to hide a cache. Only to be later denied later because of some of the contents of the cache. So I'll try again and eventually get it right. I think that this caching is a blast and being able to talk it over with you guys and gals is just another bonus. I have yet to meet any other Miramichi cachers...maybe we should set up a St. Paddies Day get together. I'll get back to you with the coordinates.

I did try a few winter caches this year and if they are sitting under 3 feet of snow- it certainly is a challenge. All you can do is start digging at your best reading. My March 15 log on the Albert County Vista comes to mind here. I did this one with cacher Scouterkevin who went back after the snow melted. We missed it by only a couple of feet.

We also waited for nicer weather to do the Dillon Dawg that you tried back in January. I don't think we would have found it back then either, but the challenge of the snow was replaced by the challenge of the mosquitos!

Since my buddy Allwalk and I started geocaching in October, we did most of our finds thus far during the winter months. While it can be more difficult to find some caches in the snow, there are also definite advantages to winter caching:

1) There are fewer hikers on the trails, so you don't have to worry about someone watching you as much.

2) When we did the parking on the credit series of caches, we were able to save some significant time by crossing the credit river while it was frozen!

3) quite often, you can follow other people's footprints and find the cache easier, which is helpful when you're pulling a marathon day of geocaching.

Just remember to dress warmly and perhaps bring a screwdriver or something in case you have to chip a cache out of the ice!!

Tess.