Anyone interested in a "Coffee Positioning System"?

KathyNPeter

We've been geocaching for about six months now, and always hit the Tim Horton's before a cache run (and sometimes between caches, too!). It occurred to us that a link between the two was inevitable - thus we've hit on the "Tim Horton's Coffee Positioning System"! icon_biggrin.gif

The general idea is that there are over 1,000 Tim's around the country (Canada), and wouldn't it be nice to just punch up a website to find the nearest one when you're on a cache run (or vacation, business trip, etc.)?

We've only got about a dozen so far, but will soon be posting a website for the project where others could send in coordinates. It should be live in a few weeks, once we get the forms, etc. sorted out.

So, my question to all the Canuck Caffeine Fiends out there is: would this be useful to you and would you be interested in participating? Please post a follow-up and let us know. icon_smile.gif

Yes - I would like Tim's locations as part of the "points of interest" in my GPS V. Every other conceivable restaurant, take-out etc is. For some strange reason the folks at Garmin have left out all coffee/donut shops.

No - I would not want to clutter-up my user waypoint file with all those locations. I have enough trouble maintaining an orderly geocache waypoint list as it is. Besides during an average cache-hunt trip I probably pass a Tims every 10 minutes or so.

Keep on cachin' and buying double/double, Olar

wavey.gif

I also replied to the General thread, but here I go again - I would contribute coords to your website - Tim Horton's was the 2nd waypoint I marked when I first my GPSr (house 1st of course). You wouldn't need to store them all Olar. If you were going out of town, say to a hockey or ball tournament, you could just replace your current Tim's coords with destination coords, or even create a TH route for longer trips. We can't seem to cache without a stop at Tim's first! Happy caching,

-Donna G

While I would be interested in participating, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Within a 15 minute walk from my house, I can count at least 5 locations. There might be hundreds around here! They might even out-number gas stations (considering several gas stations have Time Hortions in them), I wouldn't be surprised.

I once considered driving around and buying a single Timbit from each of them, but I've never been that hungry!

quote:
Originally posted by KathyNPeter:

We've been geocaching for about six months now, and always hit the Tim Horton's before a cache run (and sometimes between caches, too!). It occurred to us that a link between the two was inevitable - thus we've hit on the "Tim Horton's Coffee Positioning System"! icon_biggrin.gif

The general idea is that there are over 1,000 Tim's around the country (Canada), and wouldn't it be nice to just punch up a website to find the nearest one when you're on a cache run (or vacation, business trip, etc.)?

We've only got about a dozen so far, but will soon be posting a website for the project where others could send in coordinates. It should be live in a few weeks, once we get the forms, etc. sorted out.

So, my question to all the Canuck Caffeine Fiends out there is: would this be useful to you and would you be interested in participating? Please post a follow-up and let us know. icon_smile.gif

I've been wishing for something like this for a while. The idea led to another concept:

Why should we pay tonnes of money to Garmin et al. for POI (Points of Interest)???? Why not have a site like Geocaching.com that lets people upload waypoints for things like Tim Hortons, or ANYTHING... a GeoEnabled search engine.

The idea would be that you could download all the _________ (Fill in with your favorite store, historical monument, subway stop, Yellow Submarine, etc etc) in an area of your choosing!

Like I said, this is something that I've been dreaming about for months. I've got the ability to do alot of the work but I'd need hosting support.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Rather than creating a website on your own how about contacting Tim Hortons and convincing them to add a "location finder" to their website listing coordinates in a downloadable format. We geocachers could help provide them with accurate waypoints. I'm sure they would be so grateful that they would give us a special geocachers discount card and full privileges in special geocachers only express drive-thru lanes. Other retailers would scramble to be next for our free services. The possibilities are endless.

Olar (Where's my double-double)

wavey.gif

quote:
Originally posted by KathyNPeter:

I like Olar's idea about getting on to the Tim Horton's page; perhaps we will approach them once we get more details worked out and a prototype up and running.

Will keep y'all posted! icon_smile.gif

My wife's a manager of a Tim's (That's why I married here icon_wink.gif ) And we've discussed the idea. It MAY be possible to get a list of all of the Tims but I'm doubtful. I figure that part of the fun would be everyone going and getting the coordinates of their favorite tims anyways.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command