Vacation Plans

twoloosescrews

The wife and I are planning on a trip from Chilliwack BC to Edmonton AB at the end of August and are looking for suggestions for caches to look for along the way. Going by the Yellowhead Hwy so if there are any cachers out that way we would like your input!

"The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'Cover for me'. Number two, 'Oh, good idea boss'. Number three, 'It was like that when I got here'."

Rocky Mountain Barking Spider is just outside the Jasper Townsite on the Old Fort Point trail. The cache is hidden on a ridge that overlooks the townsite and Jasper Park Lodge. It is a wonderful place to just sit for a few minutes and watch the world go by.

Chances are that you will see wildlife on the hike as well. Big horn sheep and a bald eagle is what I saw when I went early this spring.

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)

PDOP has a number of caches along the Yellowhead...some placed right by the highway so that they attract some visitors...I've been looking at some of them too for the trip to AB.

The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message icon_wink.gif

quote:
Are you going up through Prince George? We have lots of caches that are good for people passing through

Sorry Fuzzy not planning on going that far west! Thanks Doc,Balloonatic, St.Albert for the suggestions so far! Sounds like I'm going to bring a big bag of swag on the trip as well! icon_biggrin.gif

"The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'Cover for me'. Number two, 'Oh, good idea boss'. Number three, 'It was like that when I got here'."

Ah, found them....I've got some specifics now:

Airport Road Cache

Obed Summit Cache

Both are between Hinton and Jasper.

I think that there are a few more by PDOPS as well, but you can click on his user stats to find them.

Good searching on your trip!

The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message icon_wink.gif

There are a couple of nice ones near Valemount if you're looking for chance to stretch your legs on a little hike. The Marsh is in a wildlife sanctuary and has some great viewing towers. It's a level hike and would take about a half hour return.

The LittleLost Cache is near the junction of Hwys 5 & 16 and is a little longer hike with some elevation gain icon_wink.gif Figure on about an hour return for the trip to this small lake.

If you're up for a challenge give my Folding Mtn cache a try. It's a steep one just east of Jasper Nationakl Park.

PDOP's GPS Pages

What do you guys think of starting a trans-Canada list of caches. We could list all the caches that are (for example) 30 minutes combined time - that would be driving and walking distance to the cache - from the major highway. For example: Coal Mine's Daughter is about 5 minutes from the highway and about 10 minutes to walk in to it. That would be a total of 15 minutes. The cacher could then decide to stay longer and enjoy the rest, break or scenery or just log the cache and continue on his/her way.

Just a thought - comments are welcome.

I have a web site that I could list all of the caches and provide a link somewhere here - or someone else can do it if you want.

troll1.jpg

TrollGRG

[This message was edited by A Troll, A Lady, and Doofus the Dog on August 17, 2003 at 08:39 PM.]