brochure

1 hour ago, Luckless said:

I saw a printout for a brochure offered by geocaching. com explaining what geocaching was. Can't seem to find it now. Anybody know where I can find it. (I miss the trifold one geocachingu used to have)

Hmm... Groundspeak's current downloadable "brochures" are pretty light on content. If I were printing brochures, then I think I'd start with the text in a standard cache note ("Congratulations! You've just found a geocache..."), or maybe the Geocaching 101 presentation, and edit it for the audience I want to present a brochure to.

2 hours ago, niraD said:

Hmm... Groundspeak's current downloadable "brochures" are pretty light on content. If I were printing brochures, then I think I'd start with the text in a standard cache note ("Congratulations! You've just found a geocache..."), or maybe the Geocaching 101 presentation, and edit it for the audience I want to present a brochure to.

And it starts out by calling geocaching a "treasure hunt."  

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

And it starts out by calling geocaching a "treasure hunt."  

:sad:

37 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

The only one I found that would load had "treasure hunt" still on it.  If you don't mind people thinking it is a treasure hunt (we do...) it's here.

That looks like the one I have a copy of.

Yea, I read where people have been posting on TikTok that caches have money in them. Bad publicity.

What I liked about the trifold brochure from geocachingu is that I could give it to people I was trying to get permission to place a geocache from that didn't know what geocaching was. I also had one with me to give to the police should they ever question what I was doing. It made geocaching sound very legitimate unlike having this crazy woman trying to explain what she was doing. Thanks for the brochure webpage- it will have to do.

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, Luckless said:

I also had one with me to give to the police should they ever question what I was doing. It made geocaching sound very legitimate unlike having this crazy woman trying to explain what she was doing.

I laminated some business cards for police.  There are places in town where police take a break next to a Geocache spot (they are not my caches).  So I made these cards to hand out, rather than having tri-fold brochures in that situation.  I also have a print-out for the back of the laminated card, in whatever style I'm making at the time, usually with a ROT-13 decoder.

Here's the PDF file:  http://www.kunarion.com/Geocache/GeocachingCard.pdf

I may not always have it available for download, so get it now.

Are you able to print double-sided color brochures?  I could edit one myself.  But what would it say?  People have very different ideas of what Geocaching is about, and as we see, the text seems to need changing.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

I laminated some business cards for police.  There are places in town where police take a break next to a Geocache spot (they are not my caches).  So I made these cards to hand out, rather than having tri-fold brochures in that situation.  I also have a print-out for the back of the laminated card, in whatever style I'm making at the time, usually with a ROT-13 decoder.

Here's the PDF file:  http://www.kunarion.com/Geocache/GeocachingCard.pdf

I may not always have it available for download, so get it now.

Are you able to print double-sided color brochures?  I could edit one myself.  But what would it say?  People have very different ideas of what Geocaching is about, and as we see, the text seems to need changing.

Nice job. Mind if I steal co-opt it?

• Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, Luckless said:

But what would it say? It needs to be something that I can give to the mayor that would explain geocaching and impress upon him the legitimacy of the game, not just some kooky hobby, so that he hopefully would allow me to hide geocaches in the parks.

Whenever we head for permission, we emphasis CITO as a benefit to the hobby, telling them we pick up trash on the way out each time we go.

We do...  

Our group CITO'd a few old township-properties that at one time were dumps, that later became parks because of our efforts.

Realizing they might end up removing maintenance issues simply by letting "this bunch" play there is a win for them and us.   :) 

34 minutes ago, Luckless said:

But what would it say? It needs to be something that I can give to the mayor that would explain geocaching and impress upon him the legitimacy of the game

When I went to the Mayor’s office to get permission to place a cache in a city park, they were very excited about it.  I didn’t even have to explain anything.  And this was to be a match tube Micro hanging on a tree branch. :cute:

When I went to the city clerk's office there were a bunch of old ladies who didn't know what I was talking about and didn't really want to know. So I thought I'd send the mayor a letter with a brochure. Didn't know geocachingu was no longer around.I can use the brochure that geocaching.com has, but it is a lite version of geocaching and I'm going to have to include one heck of a letter with it to get the idea across.

• Upvote 1