...find out when I last spent an FP?

ChriBli

I recently had reason to obtain this information, but was unable to figure out how to do it. Naively, I went to the Favorites list and tried to sort it on Found. But apparently the Favorites list can not be sorted on a specified column like any other list on the site, it remains sorted on Geocache name. I tried the search function, because its result can be sorted, but alas it can not filter for Favorites nor for any other list. I tried copying Favorites to a new list, but although the new list can be sorted the Last found column is now when anyone found it last, not me.

The only method I could find (when it was already too late for the purpose) was to go to Geocaches -> All Logs from the (old) dashboard and look for the latest heart symbol there. It worked for this, since it was not that long ago, but what if I wanted to see what my first favorited cache was? That is way down in that list. Is this really how it is, or have I missed something?

13 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

If you have Excel, carefully copy (Windows copy)JUST the data table from your 'Favorites' list, dump it into Excel, highlight the whole thing, right-click...Format...Alignment...UNmerge all cells.

Then you can sort the list.

Thanks. Yes, methods like this will work, probably I could take the list into some 3rd party tool like GSAK as well. But I feel it's strange that it wouldn't be possible to do within the site, so I wondered if I missed some useful function. IMHO, there is no reasonable explanation for why the favorites list can not be sorted on any column.

32 minutes ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

How about the fact that on one has asked for it indicates it’s not worth spending the development time?

Development time is very frequently spent on things that no one has asked for on this site. To me it seems reasonable that all similar lists with column headers should be generated by the same code, and hence have the same functionality. But that appears not to be the case.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

How about the fact that on one has asked for it indicates it’s not worth spending the development time?

Back a few years when the last round of changes to lists were being made, I requested in the Release Notes thread that the sorting of the favourites list be configurable through the column headings, just like all the other lists. I'm pretty sure there were others who requested the same thing but nothing happened. For me, sorting my favourites alphabetically isn't very helpful as, if I'm looking for a particular cache I favourited, I'm much more likely to remember roughly when I found it than what it was called. Also a favourites list sorted by found date would give a much better reflection of my caching history than having it sorted alphabetically.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mockingbird559 said:

I remembered this post when I accidentally found this...

Go to.....

Dashboard

Your Geocache Logs

Found it

Logs are shown in reverse order, the caches with the blue heart are ones you have favorites.

Yep.  Simple...     We often see some using complex methods for doing what's very easy and already there.   :)

6 hours ago, Mockingbird559 said:

Go to.....

Dashboard

Your Geocache Logs

Found it

Logs are shown in reverse order, the caches with the blue heart are ones you have favorites.

Thank you. Yes, I found that method. But as I noted in my original post:

On 6/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, ChriBli said:

The only method I could find (when it was already too late for the purpose) was to go to Geocaches -> All Logs from the (old) dashboard and look for the latest heart symbol there. It worked for this, since it was not that long ago, but what if I wanted to see what my first favorited cache was? That is way down in that list. Is this really how it is, or have I missed something?