Question about geocoins

TheFifthColumn

4 hours ago, TheFifthColumn said:

How many people like to keep their geocoins while using only the tag as the trackable?

I'm also unsure how fun they would be collecting if a large portion of that collection are ones I purchase. How does everyone else see this? 

Maybe a new thing?  We don't have any coins with a "tag".   We've seen people use proxies.  Few here care for the laminated versions...

Curious what you mean by "ones I purchase".  All coins we have in our possession we bought or traded with another. We liked them.

We should only be keeping coins we bought ourselves, or gifted/traded by others. 

All trackables you've retrieved (most from 2016...) are still in your possession.  Why?

Most people sending "collectible" coins out to be found in caches did so in error.  The default for most trackables is now "Not Collectible" so people supposedly have to think about what their plans are for it....

Some see a button to push and just have to see what it does.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
29 minutes ago, SoloScout said:

I'm super new but I figured:

All travel bugs are trackable but not all trackable items are travel bugs (meant to travel)

Those first to find coins are trackable but I'm sure they're meant to stay with their finder.

Odd, but the only things we ever called "travel bugs" are the dog tag-like things that come in a set (keep me/don't keep me).

Travel bugs, tags, coins ...anything that has a trackable code on it is a Trackable.

We leave unactivated signature geocoins in caches as swag, most looking for extra incentive to get folks to walk.  :)

If they're unactivated, we usually assume that it was left as swag too.  

Sometimes a CO leaves their (or another's...) activated coin as a FTF "prize", we put them in caches and forgetaboutit...

16 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Odd, but the only things we ever called "travel bugs" are the dog tag-like things that come in a set (keep me/don't keep me).

Travel bugs, tags, coins ...anything that has a trackable code on it is a Trackable.

We leave unactivated signature geocoins in caches as swag, most looking for extra incentive to get folks to walk.  :)

If they're unactivated, we usually assume that it was left as swag too.  

Sometimes a CO leaves their (or another's...) activated coin as a FTF "prize", we put them in caches and forgetaboutit...

In a purchased 'cache kit', there is a dog tag set ( I understand that one) and a first to find coin with code.

would you activate it or leave it not activated when hiding the 'cache kit'.

7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

All trackables you've retrieved (most from 2016...) are still in your possession.  Why?

I stopped playing for years and I misplaced the bag I had them in. I would constantly forget and feel guilty when I remember I have them. I intend to have them all back in play within the month!

Hmmm. It's still hard for me to decide if I'll want to purchase a nice coin for circulation vs for my collection. Thanks for all your answers!

Edited by TheFifthColumn
On 6/15/2022 at 8:10 AM, TheFifthColumn said:

It's still hard for me to decide if I'll want to purchase a nice coin for circulation vs for my collection.

Do what cereberus1 suggested - send out a proxy!

A proxy is when you buy a GeoCoin/TravelBug that you like and want to keep on display at home, and put the tracking code onto something else. That something else can be as simple as a laminated bit of paper, an engraved metal tag or some other custom made little thing that you've made. Personally, I have great fun creating proxies so I don't mind if they go missing - gives me an excuse to create and (re)release a new one. Just needs to be durable enough that it'll last a while, while still being cheaper than a coin/bug.

This way your nice thing stays at home where it won't go missing, but the code you paid for still gets to travel and take its chances on the winds of fate.

Though keep in mind that some people are so opposed to the idea of proxies that they throw them in the trash as soon as they see one. I suspect that this may be more from people who deliberately keep other people's trackables (as opposed to when it happens accidentally).

Edited by Darwin473
Typo
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Darwin473 said:

Though keep in mind that some people are so opposed to the idea of proxies that they throw them in the trash as soon as they see one.

I suspect that this may be more from people who deliberately keep other people's trackables (as opposed to when it happens accidentally).

Could be hoarders, but most we see issues with are those semi-laminated rolled, crinkled paper carp someone thought would replace their custom coin.

They could post the coin in their gallery, or right on the trackables page - code showing instead...  

We know of one that folks would just Discover anyway (in an ammo can...), because it was a crumpled tube that looked like trash.  

Looked like someone spilled soda on it...

We've seen wooden nickels and poker chips with the original coin's code, and those seem to move along fine.   :)

2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Could be hoarders, but most we see issues with are those semi-laminated rolled, crinkled paper carp someone thought would replace their custom coin.

The nicest proxy I've seen for a missing geocoin used a plastic coin case with a washer and photos of both sides of the coin. It had the heft and appearance of a geocoin, and I was happy to move it along on its journey.