Great story as a kind of favorite from co to logger

jisperveld

Since a while everyone can mark a log as Great Story. As far as I know the logger is not aware of the fact that his/ her log is marked as such. 

Would it be an idea to change this feature in such a way that only the co can mark a log as Great Story and the logger gets a notice form HQ that his log was marked. In this way it looks like a favorite from co to logger (like the real favorites from logger to co). It could be an incentive to loggers so they want to write that great story.

• Funny 2
18 minutes ago, jisperveld said:

Since a while everyone can mark a log as Great Story. As far as I know the logger is not aware of the fact that his/ her log is marked as such. 

Would it be an idea to change this feature in such a way that only the co can mark a log as Great Story and the logger gets a notice form HQ that his log was marked. In this way it looks like a favorite from co to logger (like the real favorites from logger to co). It could be an incentive to loggers so they want to write that great story.

I agree the person whose log is marked as a great story, should get a notice of this, but I like to be able to mark someone's log as a great story too, not being the CO. I have only done this once so far. However, I see this feature mostly as being useless and unnecessary.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

I agree the person whose log is marked as a great story, should get a notice of this, but I like to be able to mark someone's log as a great story too, not being the CO. I have only done this once so far. However, I see this feature mostly as being useless and unnecessary.

My sentiments too. I think I might have marked Great Story on an inspiring log on someone else's cache once or twice, and a few times on my own caches, but it's not something I usually think about. I've never used it for its intended purpose of either sorting logs or picking caches I want to do and on the whole it seems a pretty pointless exercise.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, jisperveld said:

Would it be an idea to change this feature in such a way that only the co can mark a log as Great Story and the logger gets a notice form HQ that his log was marked.

In this way it looks like a favorite from co to logger (like the real favorites from logger to co). It could be an incentive to loggers so they want to write that great story.

Is there a project GC "great story" stat now, to go along with log length?    :)   We'd email the finder in thanks, if he said something nice...

Seems the most "great story" we see are TFTC logs, as a gag I guess...   

Fulla hot air cut n paste posts loaded with emojis doesn't make such a great story (to me).

Kinda equal to "helpful" when the finder includes a spoiler in their log, we could do without 'em...

• Upvote 1

I think its use in this way is precisely why we should be glad there's no stat to go with it. I'd say, because of its innocuous implementation, any "misuse" has just as little spotlight as actual proper use. So when its used properly, it has a positive effect, though really only relevant to the person reading who finds it of value, while when it's used improperly there is no incentive to continue using it properly because there's no fanfare for it.

I think the feature is great as is - don't give it more visibility. That'll affect the growth of its misuse more than the growth of its proper use. Anyone who doesn't care about it loses nothing by ignoring it and it virtually no impact on the use of the website.

• Upvote 1