winter in Cape Breton?

Guest cache_ninja

Guest cache_ninja

hey

was thinking of heading up to Cape Breton Highlands at the end of december. Its my favorite place. I've only been there during the summer though. Has anyone been up there in winter? Whats the temp/weather like? Is hikig feasible or is the snow just really high? Are there places open to stay at? Any advice/ recommendations? Much thanks

c/n

Hey, great to hear your interest at visiting the Cape Breton Highlands! I'm from an area about an hour and a bit from the park entrance at Cheticamp. To answer your questions, well, Cape Breton can be a bit challenging in the winter for hiking, especially the highlands. Just for example, last year during the exceptional winter we had, there was 8-10 feet of snow in the highlands, making hiking (or travelling by car for that matter) very difficult. Hell, they had to dig a snowblower out of a section of road up there. But of course, that is depending on the amount of snow. If it is a relatively dry winter, expect there still to be snow up there, if not just as much. We attempted to do a hike in the area last year, (there are only 2 backcountry hiking areas in the park) and we scrapped it because of travelling difficulties. Also, expect the temperatures to be lower than other areas because of the high winds in the mountains.

As for places to stay, the Western part of the island including Mabou, Inverness, Margaree, Cheticamp have many Bed and Breakfasts scattered around the area. The National park also has several camping areas that might be available depending on the snow. The best idea is call the National Park office to find out the conditions of the park before you go. The Ingonish National Park office number is (902)285-2691 and the Cheticamp office number is (902)224-4227.

Of course, there are several other hiking areas around the island that would be worth checking out, including our geocaches in Pollett's Cove and Piper's Glen ("Our Apollettgies" and "A Piper's Watery Delight")

A good hiking spot is also the Mabou Highlands trail...

Anyway,if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to field them!

Cheers,

David MacDonald