Creating a Fire Element themed cache

Hello all!

We were tinkering around with an idea to create a series of Element themed caches. Now water and earth will be more easy, however creating a "fire" themed cache is proving to be a difficult concept.   I want the users to have to use these elements in order to access the cache.

I was thinking maybe something using Match sticks , but we have to keep it safe and not burn down a forest.

Any ideas??

On 6/7/2022 at 4:49 PM, barefootjeff said:

This is a fake campfire I used on one of my hides. It was a stage in a multi so the coordinates of the next stage were written on the underside of the log, but for a traditional a hollow scorched log could be used to conceal the container.

If I did something like this, I would make sure that fires are allowed in the area. I wouldn't want someone to get the impression that fires are allowed in an area where they are not. I would also worry about someone using my campfire for real, and burning up my cache/waypoint.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
5 hours ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

If I did something like this, I would make sure that fires are allowed in the area. I wouldn't want someone to get the impression that fires are allowed in an area where they are not. I would also worry about someone using my campfire for real, and burning up my cache/waypoint.

I put mine deep in the undergrowth where it would make no sense to try to have a camp fire, and there was a real fire pit out in the open nearby where I got the coals from, so anyone wanting to make a fire would do so there. That was part of its undoing, as with successive wet la Nina summers the undergrowth became so thick it was almost impossible to get to.

• Helpful 1
On 6/7/2022 at 11:00 PM, PlanetMoon123 said:

I want the users to have to use these elements in order to access the cache.

Interesting concept!

For fire I'd probably build a device with a bimetallic strip, which must be heated with a lighter. The device could then either reveal info for the final cache. Or, for a traditional cache, open the lock of the box. Of course this should be placed in a location without wildfire hazard, for example in rocky or asphalted terrain.

Edited by eigengott
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, eigengott said:

Interesting concept!

For fire I'd probably build a device with a bimetallic strip, which must be heated with a lighter. The device could then either reveal info for the final cache. Or, for a traditional cache, open the lock of the box. Of course this should be placed in a location without wildfire hazard, for example in rocky or asphalted terrain.

Over the years, I have found two gadget caches which worked along these lines. You had to bring a lighter to apply heat to some device/sensor/whatever, so that some information is revealed (coordinates or code for a lock).

Googling "plastic fake fire for decoration" brought numerous examples of fire-like options with no concerns of actual heat/flame.

Still would probably have to be far from accidental discovery (it looks like fire...), maybe depending on local fire regs too.

Place a micro or small container within...

I built this as a series - Air, Fire, Earth, Water, Life. The lids are wood blocks attached to Lock&Locks, with carved alabaster for the element 'runes'. Under each lid, a number can be found to locate the 'Life' final Mystery (the one in the middle). I never got around to hiding them, and instead donated them to another local player to place. Someday I'll get to find my own containers - it's a win-win! 😎

capture.jpg

Edited by Lostboy1966
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 3

Matchstick containers used to cost a dollar at Walmart. They're about the size of a film can, but fairly waterproof. Take out the matches, put in a logsheet. The containers are bright orange.

Alternatively, deliberately fire-damage a container then put an undamaged, waterproof inside it.

• Upvote 2

Similar to JL_HSTRE, most our micros were matchstick holders, but they were OD green.

Cachers will recognize it as a matchstick holder.  Not many walk around with match sticks anymore...   :)

Our first lot came from a Coleman store nearby, later we bought the same on ebay.  

• Helpful 1