Feature request: Download labs for offline play

hzoi

I have been caught in areas without data more than once on an adventure lab and had to hike out of the location I was in to get a signal. Half the time when I did, the lab timed out and I had to reload the adventure again. (As in, select the adventure lab from the map and get it going again.)

It would be swell if there was a feature to load the lab ahead of time for offline use, allowing cachers to rely on their phone's location services to complete the lab at the location and later connect with wifi  or data to get credit for the finds.

Or, at least, get the app to stop timing out on labs so quickly.

Perhaps these are both purposeful features to keep cheaters from spoofing lab finds, but in case they are not, here I am.

• Upvote 5

I totally agree with the above comment. Please, Geocaching, enable this downloading of Adlab information for use when out of range. It can lead to so many frustrating difficulties. Maybe you can lead us to where the information is already present…

I have been caught in areas without data more than once on an adventure lab ...

Yes, I have seen this also.  What do you think who has failed to make this AL playable?

-  Your internet provider

-  Groundspeak

-  The AL creater

-  someome else

Did you write to your provider to provide better date for the area?  Did you contact the AL Owner to remove the AL from the area without data signel?

I think, there should be no ALs in areas without data signal.  Report the Al to Groundspeak and have it removed.

Edited by Mausebiber

And even if an area has no mobile internet reception, it may have Wi-Fi access - or one could even use satellite phones with (expensive) mobile internet services there. It's also possible to run around between locations with or without internet access - so that the positions for loading the data, visiting the desired position and logging the answer don't have to be the same.

On 7/11/2022 at 6:06 AM, Mausebiber said:

Yes, I have seen this also.  What do you think who has failed to make this AL playable?

-  Your internet provider

-  Groundspeak

-  The AL creater

-  someome else

In the context of this conversation, it's Groundspeak. They're the ones that implemented the app so adventures can't be reliably followed even when data access isn't available. They might have good reasons for this, but that is, nevertheless, the answer to your question.

• Helpful 1