Points of Intetest

We are traveling around the country and enjoy caches that take us to otherwise unknown places. I would like there to be a way to know a cache is at such a place. We have a way to mark a cache as a fun interesting one, what about something to mark as a point of interest? Adventure labs do that but not for a physical cache, especially older ones. Comments?

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

Depending on what your interests are, there are some attributes that might be helpful:

• Recommended for tourists - there's likely to be something of interest to visitors to the area
  • Scenic view - a vantage point lookout or some natural beauty perhaps like a waterfall or unusual rock formation
  • Abandoned structure - if you're into old buildings, maybe look for this

But we all have our own interests, so I prefer the more specific things in the attributes rather than a generic "point of interest" one. For example, I'll also look for caches with the "Takes more than an hour" and "Significant hike" attibutes as I generally find those appealing, but will avoid ones with the "Tree climb" attribute (or bring my ladder) as I'm not good at climbing trees. Other cachers may well do the opposite.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, drummerchik said:

We are traveling around the country and enjoy caches that take us to otherwise unknown places. I would like there to be a way to know a cache is at such a place. We have a way to mark a cache as a fun interesting one, what about something to mark as a point of interest? Adventure labs do that but not for a physical cache, especially older ones. Comments?

What I like isn't the same with any other cacher within 30 miles of me.  So what I like probably wouldn't interest you either.  :laughing:

We can't "add" attributes to another's cache.  Whether they don't want to play like you do, or are absent from the hobby, it's not happening.

Most states but bordering, areas I'd go wherever a cache is, is an unknown place.  Guess you could be a bit more specific...

Similar to barefootjeff, I'd simply go by attributes, if any jive with what you're looking for.   :)

14 hours ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

Also consider using other mapping systems (Google Earth, etc.) to get some kind of view of the area. Points of interest will probably have photos posted.

My favorite caching road trip end point and maybe a long weekend trip for you. It's a lot easier to look for neat places when it pretty remote.

3 Corners (SE Oregon Hatrick) Virtual Cache GC2101

Thanks MNTA, I'm going to add that cache to my retirement plans. (Less than three years to go!) I didn't want to turn this topic into a list of interesting caches, so I messaged you one that you may like.

Back to the OP, when I was looking at the cache MNTA posted, I went and looked at his photo gallery. This gives me an idea of what kinds of caches he is interested in. (And based on his photos, and the fact he is 'nearby' me, I will probably use some of the tools available to search for caches found by him, and add them to my target caches list. So, my point is, if you can find other cachers with a similar interest as yours, use a list of caches found by them to help narrow your search.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

Back to the OP, when I was looking at the cache MNTA posted, I went and looked at his photo gallery. This gives me an idea of what kinds of caches he is interested in. (And based on his photos, and the fact he is 'nearby' me, I will probably use some of the tools available to search for caches found by him, and add them to my target caches list. So, my point is, if you can find other cachers with a similar interest as yours, use a list of caches found by them to help narrow your search.

Yep.

...And hopefully they didn't make their profile completely private...

We'd often view other's caches/photos that play similar for ideas, but now that there's more buttons to push, we can see a few no longer visible. 

There's a few who keep track of us (there's not many who want to walk... ;), and we wouldn't think of making our past travels private.

• Helpful 2
5 hours ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

So, my point is, if you can find other cachers with a similar interest as yours, use a list of caches found by them to help narrow your search.

I don't know about others, but looking at my finds probably wouldn't be too helpful for picking interesting caches. With only about 500 caches in my region, I've found pretty much all of them now as I have to take whatever's on offer if I want to do any caching at all. Looking at my list of favourites would be a better guide, but the way that's displayed, you can't do much other than look at it as there's no way to make another list from it. Even worse now, if you look at someone else's favourites it doesn't show you when they found it (privacy I guess), it's just an alphabetically sorted list of cache names, GC codes and the state/country they're in.

• Helpful 1
On 6/9/2022 at 10:25 PM, cerberus1 said:

...And hopefully they didn't make their profile completely private...

We'd often view other's caches/photos that play similar for ideas, but now that there's more buttons to push, we can see a few no longer visible. 

^this

It's appalling that just a couple of weeks after enabling this setting by GS how many users make use of that.

• Upvote 2