FONTs & HTML TAGs

I create my geocache pages using the "CSE HTML Validator" program, which has the ability to correct HTML errors.

LINK: https://www.htmlvalidator.com/

So, when I know that my geocache pages are correct, why does GC keep changing things, so the text sizes and other stuff gets screwed up?

Furthermore, when I use common FONTs, GC seems to ignore them or substitutes ones that are generic instead.

Is there a list of FONTs that GC accepts? If so, where is it?

I would also like to know what TAGs are acceptable and what TAGs are not and why!

/\/(*w*)\/\

• Funny 3
On 5/29/2022 at 4:51 AM, niraD said:

Have you read the Help Center article HTML in cache pages?

Don't get too wrapped up in the fonts used in your cache description. A lot of folks will read it without your fonts no matter what you do.

Most, if not all of what is on that entire page, is like comparing a toothpick to a forest of trees. ERROR: <hr color"GREEN"> should be <hr color="#00FF00" /> (take note of the space and slash mark). Beginners use "words", but experienced HTML users use HEX, i.e. "#00FF00" , which allows for more shades of colors. I will simply say this, GC's implementation of HTML, or even XHTML, for geocache pages is seriously lacking in so many ways. I will let my geocache pages, to a small degree, speak for themselves.

I suggest you go to this website and read about HTML: https://www.w3schools.com/where_to_start.asp

Підтримка та захист України від російської агресії

Поддержка и защита Украины от российской агрессии

Edited by Fledermaus
  • Funny 2
5 minutes ago, Fledermaus said:

I will let my geocache pages, to a small degree, speak for themselves.

I'm not sure what your point is really.

But I know that I prefer the text view, which ignores the fonts and colors and layout.

image.thumb.png.479375abca705895b888a3f770e30f63.pngimage.thumb.png.b4e299e511c332ebfb4d22a09ddec169.png

• Helpful 1
On 5/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, Fledermaus said:

So, when I know that my geocache pages are correct, why does GC keep changing things, so the text sizes and other stuff gets screwed up?

HTML in cache descriptions is using only a subset of the HTML standard. If you are trying to use unsupported features, the parser tends to remove elements it doesn't know.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, Fledermaus said:

I would also like to know what TAGs are acceptable and what TAGs are not and why!

There was a list of allowed tags in the edit page but it disappeared when the edit page was streamlined. Using Google, I managed to find this list of tags https://www.opencaching.de/articles.php?page=htmltags&locale=EN, I hope it helps you to find some usable tags.

2 hours ago, Fledermaus said:

Beginners use "words", but experienced HTML users use HEX

I thought that it is the other way round. :o As an experienced user,  you may try to use style attributes instead of, for example, font or color attributes.

Edited by arisoft
19 hours ago, niraD said:

I'm not sure what your point is really.

But I know that I prefer the text view, which ignores the fonts and colors and layout.

image.thumb.png.479375abca705895b888a3f770e30f63.pngimage.thumb.png.b4e299e511c332ebfb4d22a09ddec169.png

Isn't that Ukraine banner on the cache page an agenda Guidelines violation?

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, Hynz said:

My first random pick of one of your caches. Well....   <SCNR>

image.thumb.png.1d1933ccc16ff13c9fcc6a82b60e021f.png

A cache page like this goes straight to my Ignore list.

Even setting aside aesthetics (reminds me of an old "pimped out" Myspace page) and without being color blind, this is not a cache description that's good for a GPS or smartphone app.

I would just as soon never see text color other than black on a cache page, and no more than one image unless necessary for a puzzle or Earthcache.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Isn't that Ukraine banner on the cache page an agenda Guidelines violation?

It absolutely is.  The content was added after the cache was reviewed and published.  I trust that the OP will remove this type of thing from any cache page to which it was added.  Otherwise, I can send OP's reviewer a link to this thread.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
16 hours ago, Hynz said:

My first random pick of one of your caches. Well....   <SCNR>

image.thumb.png.1d1933ccc16ff13c9fcc6a82b60e021f.png

I'm not colour-blind at all but I still struggle with the low contrast text in this, particularly the pale green on the beige background. For me, the purpose of the description is to convey information to the seekers, being pretty or eye-catching is a secondary consideration. Sure, if the low-contrast text is part of a puzzle that's fine, one of my own puzzles has very low contrast text in an image that's revealed by separating the R, G and B channels, but otherwise I'd want the content to be as clear as possible and that usually means black text on a white background.

• Upvote 1
On 5/31/2022 at 11:59 AM, JL_HSTRE said:

Even setting aside aesthetics (reminds me of an old "pimped out" Myspace page)

"My Myspace page is all totally pimped out
I got people begging for my top 8 spaces
Yo, I know Pi out to a thousand places
Ain't got no grills but I still wear braces"

- "Weird Al" Yankovic ("White & Nerdy")

• Upvote 2
On 5/31/2022 at 3:26 PM, Keystone said:

It absolutely is.  The content was added after the cache was reviewed and published.  I trust that the OP will remove this type of thing from any cache page to which it was added.  Otherwise, I can send OP's reviewer a link to this thread.

Will I get punished for waving the American flag and it's colors within the framework of a geocache design as well? Where do you draw the line? Why should you?

On 7/24/2022 at 2:00 AM, Fledermaus said:

Will I get punished for waving the American flag and it's colors within the framework of a geocache design as well?

There are plenty of geocaches with flags and and religious characters. It is not about the image but the intention. Are you asking someone to do something or not.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1
On 7/23/2022 at 7:00 PM, Fledermaus said:

Will I get punished for waving the American flag and it's colors within the framework of a geocache design as well? Where do you draw the line? Why should you?

Let me put it to you very simply.

Yes, if you waved the American Flag and posted an exhortation on your cache page to vote for this guy or that guy, or call your Congressman about this issue or that, or even posted a picture of the UNofficial POW/MIA flag, then THIS American and most likely every other on the site who 'gets' what we're doing here would complain about you.

This is my HOBBY. This is not my CAUSE. There isn't ANY other space on the internet where I can talk about how pretty my wife's garden is without being subjected to political rancor from all sides and accosted by commercial noise looking to separate me from my money.

This is my HOBBY. NO agendas, meaning no CAUSES. Your cache pages should be about what you hid and where you hid it. Creativity and distraction, subterfuge and humor, brain-teasers and plain-text "GO FIND" descriptions are all great and welcome, but DO NOT try to convince me of anything, here in my HOBBY.

------------------

Even seemingly innocuous stuff like a cache page dedicated to collecting money to rebuild a school, or establish a foundation, or send a kid to camp has downsides.

Everybody who went to that school would start posting about how bad it was or how great it was instead of what we SHOULD be reading here, and people would complain about the Foundation and the people of this or that persuasion who would inappropriately benefit, or the MYRIAD of complaints I've read about inner-city kids and camps, and suddenly we're a Social Media site.

Then, there'll be the claims of bias because THAT Foundation gets a cache page and MINE doesn't, and if it's successful at collecting money, they EVERYBODY who likes money would go through the minimal bother of getting a Cache Page approved, and we're a opportunistic fund-raising site.

Then, there's the inevitable physical backlash against your cache by morons who don't believe in YOUR agenda, or worse, by ones who DO! 

So, keep your opinions and your causes to yourself,....HERE.

GS bites back on this rule fiercely (I hope ...still) because it's such a slippery slope. The description of my second cache was rejected because I used the word 'CHEVY', as in, "I was riding in my Chevy". "Commercial tie-in", I was told. I didn't really grok it then, but I do now.

It makes NO difference to me whether or not I agree with you and your agenda; take it somewhere else.

This...is...a...refuge. There are so many aspects of this thing of ours that are uncharacteristic of the 'internet', that we need to protect it vigorously.

I'm out in the woods having a good time, and I don't want to have to weed through everybody's carp when I'm battling mosquitos.

</Rant>

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

The description of my second cache was rejected because I used the word 'CHEVY', as in, "I was riding in my Chevy". "Commercial tie-in", I was told

I agree with your post. Just wanted to say - that seemed a little over the top :P  I mean, if it's descriptive, not prescriptive, you're not pushing an agenda by saying "I was riding in my [whatever]", as opposed to "you should get a [whatever]".  But, reviewers make the judgment. *shrug*

23 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

The description of my second cache was rejected because I used the word 'CHEVY', as in, "I was riding in my Chevy". "Commercial tie-in", I was told.

If you had mentioned driving your Chevy to the levee, then it might have counted as a pop culture reference. ;)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

I agree with your post. Just wanted to say - that seemed a little over the top :P  I mean, if it's descriptive, not prescriptive, you're not pushing an agenda by saying "I was riding in my [whatever]", as opposed to "you should get a [whatever]".  But, reviewers make the judgment. *shrug*

I just went and looked at it. It was April of 2012 and the email I got specifically forbade using "commercial or trade names"

Things change. Can't help but smile when I look at a cache that just got published here that mentioned something like, "Hiding this outside of Mickey D's where I stop every day for a soda or a burger or something."

For you others, 'Mickey D's' is McDonalds.