I may have gotten my geocaching mojo back.... We'll see...

I love geocaching. There isn't a day that I haven't at least briefly thought about geocaching since 2003. That said, I haven't cached much since 2016. and I managed to achieve an epic slump of 829 days without a find while still keeping in touch with my closest geobuds from all over the world on FB. Two things killed my mojo for geocaching... Willimax's death in Dresden and the community response blaming him for dying while geocaching and my own job as a safety professional for a really big company which finally burned me out in 2021. I retired after 34 years on the job with no regrets.

Fast forward 7 months and my micronation of Snooganistan is moving to the 5-state area of SW Virginia while expanding 5-fold + and I'm thinking I can finally give OzGuff a run for his money on hides. I'm definitely more of a hider and event host than a finder. I have a respectable 552 favorite points for someone that basically took a sabbatical from geocaching around the time favorite points were even a thang.

I'm interested to see if my mojo lasts. I haven't been this interested in hiding or hosting events in quite a while. We'll see...

Oh BTW, what happened to Off Topic? It has way more posts than ANY other forum...

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Snoogans said:

Fast forward 7 months and my micronation of Snooganistan is moving to the 5-state area of SW Virginia while expanding 5-fold + and I'm thinking I can finally give OzGuff a run for his money on hides. I'm definitely more of a hider and event host than a finder. I have a respectable 552 favorite points for someone that basically took a sabbatical from geocaching around the time favorite points were even a thang.

SW VA is a great place to retire to enjoy the outdoors. 

OzGuff has a lot of hides in good places. Just be sure to bring a Sharpie in case surveyor tape is being used as a logsheet. :ph34r:

If you want

• Love 1

Upon further reflection there is one more thing that killed my mojo. I was really enjoying the Geocaching Challenges app when the rug was pulled, and the entire site was DELETED.

I can't fathom why the decision was made to delete it. Everyone in my local community were having a lot of fun with it and poof, it's gone.

• Helpful 1
On 5/29/2022 at 7:03 AM, Snoogans said:

I was really enjoying the Geocaching Challenges app when the rug was pulled, and the entire site was DELETED.

The early weirdness when everyone (including Groundspeak) was trying to figure out what Geocaching Challenges were good for put me off, so I pretty much ignored them. Then things started to settle down. Someone mentioned that the current Geocaching Challenges were much better, so I took a look and installed the app. Which of course meant that Groundspeak announced that Geocaching Challenges would be going away the next week. :signalviolin:

• Funny 1

Good to see you back! When I first started in 2005 you were one of the more prolific posters to the fourms and provided many hours of interesting material.

I remained heavily into caching until just a few years ago. I have been nearly out of it for the past two years.

Until today! I went for a walk in the desert outside of Las Vegas and found 8 caches which is the most I've found in a day in many years...

So maybe I've got it back too. We'll see...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Glad you're back at it.
It got me pondering what gives me Geocaching mojo. I think hiding gives me most of my mojo. I just finished my 3rd GeoArt (or 2nd I don't know if you can count the first since it is only 13 caches).

What gives you lot geocaching mojo?