Geocaching bingo - a different one

Is running outta "gas" and running out of energy pretty-much the same?   Been there...   

I never had the opportunity to "get nekkid" to access a cache...

Knowing an area well has advantages, like the numerous people who disrobed to various degrees to cross a brook for one.

- I took the cable bridge that was 50' away, that no one noticed.  :laughing:

I always have a pen, and even keep a tiny space pen refill in my wallet, so none of the gross logging options.

Soggy lumps of a science project log I scrap and drop in a RIR strip.  Never logged a cache twice. Never ran outta water.

Back when batteries never jived with gizmos, I did run outta battery once... having to find my way back to the truck by retracing my footprints by moonlight.

Looks like I got a 14.

1 hour ago, Smitherington said:

Here

F174226C-2F49-45BB-9FFC-CB04720CF990.jpeg

Yes, this is the inspiration, but as you can see, the two bingo systems are very, very different. Mine is very much "how about doing it this way instead?"

It started with "logged in blood" (kind of classic emergency solution) and then it kept growing. :)

• Funny 1

19/25 with two bingos. Though I only logged in blood once before deciding that grass or berries would be much less of a biohazard.

I've found plenty of other critters in birdhouse caches - like earwigs and wood roaches and field mice - but none have ever had holes big enough for birds.

bingo.png.35bb664eb8e17a597324ed2d681e8751.png

I was 25 for 25 on the blog version.

• Upvote 1

This is fun B) ...

2022-05-26_20h59_39.png.3d323584372ef02e79f452057a685422.png

BINGO!! :D

I marked two squares with "(x)", where I'm not sure if they count:

• Stung by a wasp from a nest near the cache: I was definitely stung by a wasp once, but I didn't investigate where its nest was ;)
  • Found a cache full of earwigs: Depends on what "full" means. I found several caches which had lots of critters inside, and earwigs were part of the population.
Edited by baer2006
Typo

At least 10 of 25, with no bingos, in 11 1/2 years of gecaching.

1. Not a harvester, but other mechanical chopping devices, several times. Either for land clearing for construction or as a "mechanical burn" as an alternative to a prescribed burn or to prepare an area for a prescribed burn in the future by reducing fuel load.
  2. I've done some hikes without water where I regretted it. Particularly when I misread the map and the hike was twice as long as expected and the trail wasn't maintained.
  3. Lump of wet pulp is probably 20% of my Finds. Yay Florida climate!
  4. I'm sure I've had my pen die at least once. However, much more common is losing my pen mid-hike. Probably happens at least once a year.
  5. I don't think I was stung for about 15 years before I started caching. Then I got stung twice my first year. Apparently wasps sometimes nest on palmettos! Then I went 10 years without another sting. One got me last year while checking on one of my geocaches.
  6. I've been stopped by the police only once, I think. Very early on. When I explained what geocaching was the officer asked if people ever set booby traps to surprise seekers (he seemed to think the suggestion amusing).
  7. Dying cell or GPS battery has cut my caching short several times.
  8. I've found archived caches several times. My favorite was when I placed a plastic jar (stating as such in the description) letterbox and a seeker was confused when they found an ammo can with no stamp. In investigated, found and removed the ammo can, and learned via inquiry to my local Reviewer that it was the final to a multi archived years earlier.
  9. I've encountered wild hogs caching in the Florida wilds a number of times. They've always fled as soon as they realized I was there. Only scary instance was a time I heard what sounded like a very large hog running full speed crashing through the palmettos. I couldn't tell where relative to my position. I hurried to the nearest open area on the trail and began whacking the nearest palmettos with my hiking pole to alert the pig to my presence. I never did see the hog. I wasn't concerned he was deliberately charging me; rather the opposite. He might barrel into me unaware I was even there.
  10. I've found several caches signed by muggles. The most memorable was a GRIM by a canal with a note inside stating "We thought this was a bomb".

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Upvote 1

Bingo
Thanks for bring back so memories

- Bushwacking in chest high grass. Was walking along and then in a split second ended app over my head water. Managed to keep hold of my phone snd above water. 

- A sheriff stopped to check if I needed help, car stopped in the middle of nowhere. Showed him the app and we found it.
- 10 Stings, Dog yelped 3 times. Ran the quarter mile back to my car one was still following me. Fortunately there was a drugstore super close.

- Don't have boars here but I did run into a herd of cows, with a new born calf and I was walking my friends GIANT husky. They made noises I never heard before. They squared up and I slowly backed away. 

-Hurt myself and my car - Slid off a logging road (500$) GCA5Hit boulders well maybe giant rocks while trying to not get stuck sand 30 miles from the nearest road ($1500) GC2101

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.37.06 PM.png

• Upvote 1
On 5/26/2022 at 6:03 PM, hzoi said:

19/25 with two bingos. Though I only logged in blood once before deciding that grass or berries would be much less of a biohazard.

I've found plenty of other critters in birdhouse caches - like earwigs and wood roaches and field mice - but none have ever had holes big enough for birds.

bingo.png.35bb664eb8e17a597324ed2d681e8751.png

I was 25 for 25 on the blog version.

Wow, two Bingos and several fours! Including the middle one! :)

1 hour ago, MNTA said:

Bingo
Thanks for bring back so memories

- Bushwacking in chest high grass. Was walking along and then in a split second ended app over my head water. Managed to keep hold of my phone snd above water. 

- A sheriff stopped to check if I needed help, car stopped in the middle of nowhere. Showed him the app and we found it.
- 10 Stings, Dog yelped 3 times. Ran the quarter mile back to my car one was still following me. Fortunately there was a drugstore super close.

- Don't have boars here but I did run into a herd of cows, with a new born calf and I was walking my friends GIANT husky. They made noises I never heard before. They squared up and I slowly backed away. 

-Hurt myself and my car - Slid off a logging road (500$) GCA5Hit boulders well maybe giant rocks while trying to not get stuck sand 30 miles from the nearest road ($1500) GC2101

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.37.06 PM.png

FOUR Bingos!

And you got this right, bringing back memories is actually why I did it, remembering "that time that we did THAT". :)

• Helpful 1
9 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

At least 10 of 25, with no bingos, in 11 1/2 years of gecaching.

1. Not a harvester, but other mechanical chopping devices, several times. Either for land clearing for construction or as a "mechanical burn" as an alternative to a prescribed burn or to prepare an area for a prescribed burn in the future by reducing fuel load.
  2. I've done some hikes without water where I regretted it. Particularly when I misread the map and the hike was twice as long as expected and the trail wasn't maintained.
  3. Lump of wet pulp is probably 20% of my Finds. Yay Florida climate!
  4. I'm sure I've had my pen die at least once. However, much more common is losing my pen mid-hike. Probably happens at least once a year.
  5. I don't think I was stung for about 15 years before I started caching. Then I got stung twice my first year. Apparently wasps sometimes nest on palmettos! Then I went 10 years without another sting. One got me last year while checking on one of my geocaches.
  6. I've been stopped by the police only once, I think. Very early on. When I explained what geocaching was the officer asked if people ever set booby traps to surprise seekers (he seemed to think the suggestion amusing).
  7. Dying cell or GPS battery has cut my caching short several times.
  8. I've found archived caches several times. My favorite was when I placed a plastic jar (stating as such in the description) letterbox and a seeker was confused when they found an ammo can with no stamp. In investigated, found and removed the ammo can, and learned via inquiry to my local Reviewer that it was the final to a multi archived years earlier.
  9. I've encountered wild hogs caching in the Florida wilds a number of times. They've always fled as soon as they realized I was there. Only scary instance was a time I heard what sounded like a very large hog running full speed crashing through the palmettos. I couldn't tell where relative to my position. I hurried to the nearest open area on the trail and began whacking the nearest palmettos with my hiking pole to alert the pig to my presence. I never did see the hog. I wasn't concerned he was deliberately charging me; rather the opposite. He might barrel into me unaware I was even there.
  10. I've found several caches signed by muggles. The most memorable was a GRIM by a canal with a note inside stating "We thought this was a bomb".

Many fine memories! (At least they are fine afterwards.)

This was a fun, albeit dark, twist on the bingo, lol

image.png.3d4d13bc0c22356bb4bf305757bd23a8.png

Can't say I've logged in blood - if I can leave a mark with a twig, I've done that, but that's about as close as I've come.

Been down to running on fumes though - both for gas in the woods and battery in the phone :)

Bathed naked "to reach a cache" - that seems like an ALR!  Maybe... took an impromptu skinny dip while out finding a cache? :)

Thankfully whenever I've forgotten water for a longer hike, it's been with friends, and someone has liquid!

And maybe a boar could be more relatable if it's "encountered a dangerous wild animal".

Edited by thebruce0
24 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Bathed naked "to reach a cache" - that seems like an ALR! 

The one that immediately comes to mind is GC9QR5W where the "birthday suit wade" is one of several options the CO suggests, so definitely not an ALR, and is the one I picked as it avoided having to deal with any wet clothing afterwards. Strange though that after two months I'm still the only finder although there are a few watching it. Another had a waypoint object in a rock pool so again, being a secluded spot, it was the easiest option.

• Funny 1
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The one that immediately comes to mind is GC9QR5W where the "birthday suit wade" is one of several options the CO suggests, so definitely not an ALR, and is the one I picked as it avoided having to deal with any wet clothing afterwards. Strange though that after two months I'm still the only finder although there are a few watching it. Another had a waypoint object in a rock pool so again, being a secluded spot, it was the easiest option.

When you say "there are a few watching it"..... what exactly do you mean?

• Funny 2
11 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

But "to reach a cache" implied necessity.

Maybe there's a language difference at play here, but does it? I reached GC6DQ30 and GC9DG5G by doing the 400 metre climb up from the Congewai Valley, but everyone else drove in along the top road for a much easier walk. Conversely, there are elevated caches that everyone else has reached by free climbing but I've carried a ladder in to reach them. My proposed cache in Brisbane Water National Park that I'm hoping to get approved can be reached either from the car park in Patonga, in which case it's a shorter but steep climb up 100 metres or so to the vantage point, or a longer but mostly level walk in from Warrah Road to the east, and I'll be putting parking and trailhead waypoints at both options. Someone could say they reached that cache by climbing many steps but it's not the only way to reach it.

... why the word gymnastics?

If you skinned dipped while going to get a geocache, you got the cache by swimming or wading while being naked, not by being naked. You only reach the geocache by being naked if being naked was a necessity to the reach (CO requirement, or physical allowance perhaps?).  Regardless, it was a lighthearted comment; we've both 'bathed naked' while going for a geocache, which was likely the humourous intent of the square, but I didn't mark it off because I didn't 'bathe naked' to reach a geocache. Minor distinction, but pointed out for some levity. Back to entertaining thread... and less about us bathing naked? :omnomnom:

It's strange but true, the most memorable moments in most things tend to be often misfortunate. Ever the optimist, I see it as third type of fun.

• First type of fun is fun instantly - kids on a trampoline
  • Second type of fun is fun afterwards - think of someone scared of rollercoasters just after they get off a large coaster, grinning now but scared during
  • Third type of fun sucks when it happens, sucks days/weeks/months afterwards, but you learn to look back on it with humor and tell it as a funny story.

EG: Remember that one time we hiked 20 miles getting poison ivy exposure, did a 10 mile kayak, then the geocache wasn't there and we got arrested for trespassing. Man that was funny. (made up for comic example)

• Upvote 1
On 6/7/2022 at 3:35 PM, thebruce0 said:

Yeah, lots of optional nakedness; heck you could do it whenever it's not illegal and you're comfortable :P.   But "to reach a cache" implied necessity.  Unless you could say perhaps your clothing was hindering your reach, lol

I meant necessary at the moment for you, not mandatory for the cache itself. Like a cache intended for boat, or bathing clothes, but you had none with you so...

This happened on one of my caches. The cacher had brought wading boots, but it was too deep, so on to solution #2.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:47 PM, CheekyBrit said:

EG: Remember that one time we hiked 20 miles getting poison ivy exposure, did a 10 mile kayak, then the geocache wasn't there and we got arrested for trespassing. Man that was funny. (made up for comic example)

Wow! That must have felt bad at the time, but something you will never forget!