Statistics for specific categories

Out of curiosity I've gone through all the WM of the Chronograms category to see which years have been covered so far. Here is my result:

image.thumb.png.96cf514a924505deb87aaab540b2bc86.png

It seems that chronograms were particularly popular in the 18th century.

Once I wanted to make a similar table for the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones or the Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious categories, but they have way too many WMs. Instead I will make a table for MY Dated Buildings WMs one day.

Another idea is to make a map/list of all the countries that have a Diplomatic Mission WM somewhere. There is Waymarking Statistics (familie-frohne.net) already but it just says, which countries have a WM in that category. It won't tell you though, if there is a WM for a Diplomatic Mission for - let's say - Burundi, somewhere in the world.

And similar to that it would be interesting to see which countries have donated a gift to another country, not which countries have received such a gift. Any other ideas for statistics for specific categories?

Coincidence, today I thought of a category where you can 'claim' a certain building date... it seems a cool idea to 'collect' building dates. or else log someone elses somewhere in the world if the building date has been taken already. But I immediately thought of some objections, like boring buildings, buildings that have been renovated mayorly etc. So I didn't want to suggest it but then saw your post and had to bring it up. 

Cool statistics btw, i still have to find a chronogram from the 18th century or before 

7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Another idea is to make a map/list of all the countries that have a Diplomatic Mission WM somewhere. There is Waymarking Statistics (familie-frohne.net) already but it just says, which countries have a WM in that category. It won't tell you though, if there is a WM for a Diplomatic Mission for - let's say - Burundi, somewhere in the world.

I didn't find the word "Burundi" in the waymark titles of the category, so it might be a hint that there is none for that country. And looking for "Germany" or any another country with many diplomatic missions would give you due to the naming scheme ( <city>, <region>, <country>) too many false results. You also can't be sure to fetch all the entries you might need.

And I don't think I'll implement a generic search page (that would be too many parameters to consider) - but I can think of one for the titles in the categories section (which would fit the requirement you mentioned above). But I'll do this definitly not in the next few weeks ...

On 5/25/2022 at 7:57 PM, Becktracker said:

Cool statistics btw, i still have to find a chronogram from the 18th century or before 

Interesting! I was looking for chronograms in the Netherlands in my book "Chronograms - 5000 and more in number" by James Hilton (1882). The book says: 

"Epitaph on the Dutch poet Vondel, in the New Church at Amsterdam.
VIr phoebo et MVsIs gratVs VonDeLIVs hIC est. = 1679

i.e. Here lies Vondel, a man dear to Apollo and the Muses."

But when I searched for the epitaph, I just found that one: Nieuwe Kerk - Google Maps. Seems like the epitaph with the chronogram has been replaced with a new one without chronogram. :-(

---------------------------

I continued to search and found one in Delft:

"At Delft, on the front side of the town hall
DeLphensIVM CVrIa reparata. = 1662

i.e. The house of assembly of the people of Delft was repaired."

And this one is still there: 103 Markt - Google Maps

---------------------------

And I found another one in Haarlem:

"In the great church at Haarlem is the following:

sood honger sLe Chsgeen shIIdaen bood,
LIChttspaens ChgeVVeLd Van haerLeM VLood. = 1573

This is painted on the back of a screen containing the ten commandments, and put up in the place originally occupied by the high altar. I am told that it is difficult to translate. Observe the date 1573 is that of the revolt against Spain. The chronogram is faulty, because all the letters D, five in number, are not counted."

And this one is also still there: The St. Bavo Church in Haarlem - Google Maps

9 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

"At Delft, on the front side of the town hall

DeLphensIVM CVrIa reparata. = 1662

i.e. The house of assembly of the people of Delft was repaired."

Thanks for pointing this one out to me. I had taken some pictures of the town hall on our visit nearly two month ago, but didn't notice the chronogram.
Waymark is on the way ...

Delft-Chronogram-4.jpg.1fb2eff7cf21c813cc33ad008e619ef7.jpg

Edited by FamilieFrohne
  • Helpful 1
On 5/25/2022 at 10:57 AM, Becktracker said:

Coincidence, today I thought of a category where you can 'claim' a certain building date... it seems a cool idea to 'collect' building dates. or else log someone else[']s somewhere in the world if the building date has been taken already. But I immediately thought of some objections, like boring buildings, buildings that have been renovated mayorly etc. So I didn't want to suggest it but then saw your post and had to bring it up. 

I'm sorry, but I just don't get the premise. Not that I believe the premise/idea will ever fly, but I would like to read further thoughts on the matter in order to get my head wrapped around this idea.

Keith