Found caches turned premium and vanishing.

I recently found a few caches using the geocache app. I recorded them as 'found' on the app as soon as I found them. When I checked my found list the next day these caches had turned into premium ones. Not only that, but they also vanished from the map. 

I also looked on the web page version and they had vanished from there too.

I'm just a basic member, but premium caches were also shown greyed out on the map before. 

These caches I found were low difficulty so were visible on the basic membership before.

Has something changed in the setup?

Edited by davemar73
Typo
  • Funny 1

It is possible that the cache owner edited the cache to increase the Difficulty and/or Terrain ratings for a geocache you found, so that it is now an "Advanced" cache that is grayed out for Basic Members using the official Geocaching Apps.

It's also possible that the cache owner edited the cache to make it PMO (available to Premium Members Only - a different concept than Advanced Caches).

Could you provide the GC Codes for one or more of these caches?  I see that a number of your recent finds are now PMO caches.

• Helpful 2

The cache you mentioned has been around for a year and has been found a bunch of times, and is rated D1.5 / T1.5, and is a premium member cache.

It could be that the CO made it premium after you found it.  Your log "No container again?" makes it sound like you logged other caches as found and as not having a container, which doesn't make sense for a cache.  Perhaps the CO thought you didn't actually find it but logged it as found, and wanted to prevent that in the future by making it premium.  

I'm curious what "No container again?" means.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, davemar73 said:

GC9ACTY was one of them. It could just be a coincidence that a group of caches turned premium within hours of me finding them.

Dude, you can't keep getting away with claiming a find and saying you didn't sign the log cuz there was no pen. It's your responsibility to bring a writing utensil. What's with all the logs saying there's no container? The most recent one there's even a photo of the log and it looks nice and clean so I assume there's a container?

These may be factors in the now PM status. It's a possiblity.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, davemar73 said:

GC9ACTY was one of them. It could just be a coincidence that a group of caches turned premium within hours of me finding them.

I don't think it's coincidence at all.     :)

If you leave notes of "no container again?", or the old fake we're all used to, "forgot a pen...", it seems rather than confront someone, the CO simply made their caches PMO.

Sometimes it means they don't have to deal with people not paying attention to the hobby and it's guidelines, by making certain people unable to view/access their caches in the future.

We've found that once word gets out there's someone they might want to check on, we can expect others to follow, or just delete fake finds.

• Helpful 1

The log paper was rolled up looking like it should fit inside a film canister style container, but it was literally just the log paper sitting in the location. I felt it was odd to find a log not inside a container with no protection from the elements, hence my comment. I wondered if it had been tampered with, so that's why I left the comment.

The reasons I could not sign was that I my walk wasn't a planned geocache hunt, it was just a spur of the moment idea while I was there so had no pen on me. I'm also suffering from a hand injury so struggle to write at the moment too. 

So nothing malicious on my part, just concerned at the time the caches had been tampered with.

• Surprised 1
On 5/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, davemar73 said:

The log paper was rolled up looking like it should fit inside a film canister style container, but it was literally just the log paper sitting in the location. I felt it was odd to find a log not inside a container with no protection from the elements, hence my comment. I wondered if it had been tampered with, so that's why I left the comment.

The reasons I could not sign was that I my walk wasn't a planned geocache hunt, it was just a spur of the moment idea while I was there so had no pen on me. I'm also suffering from a hand injury so struggle to write at the moment too. 

So nothing malicious on my part, just concerned at the time the caches had been tampered with.

so you remembered to bring a GPS or phone but not a pen?

• Funny 1
16 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

so you remembered to bring a GPS or phone but not a pen?

If you read what the OP wrote the answer is obvious.

On 5/24/2022 at 6:18 PM, davemar73 said:

I recently found a few caches using the geocache app.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, davemar73 said:

The reasons I could not sign was that I my walk wasn't a planned geocache hunt, it was just a spur of the moment idea while I was there so had no pen on me. I'm also suffering from a hand injury so struggle to write at the moment too

Most people these days carry their phone around but not a pen.

Edit: fixed quoting

Edited by GeoElmo6000
  • Surprised 1