Winter Caching

BullZie

I think this message will apply more to areas that get an abundence of snow, but how many people are planning on not letting the snow slow them down, or is everything going to grind to a halt through the colder months? Personally, I am not going to let it slow me down as I begin the twitch uncontrollably if I don't get my fix of caching. I have noticed in the Ottawa area, cachers take winter into consideration when they hide a cache, but I have not really noticed anyone stating whether their cache is winter accessible or not in my region Ontario (Niagara, Toronto, Guelph areas).

Bullzie

'Those who smile in the face of adversity probably have a scapegoat' - As seen on a sign while driving to a cache

quote:
Originally posted by Bullzie:

... how many people are planning on not letting the snow slow them down, or is everything going to grind to a halt through the colder months? Bullzie

This will be my first winter caching and not sure what to expect... fewer if any bugs and no tree coverage vs snow cover on the ground. DO intend to track some virtuals, but will likely still go after the real thing...

DD icon_razz.gif

Last Winter Cachers were very active in Southern Ontario. What snow we did get didn't slow anyone down at all and in fact it was surprisingly busy.

I bought a pair of snoeshoes and had a ball hunting caches. I had to kick the snow around a bit to find a couple of caches and had one or two no finds. I admit to a find or two due to following tracks in the snow but what the heck its all fun.

Happy Caching, Olar

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

Winter better not bring things to a grind. I have 2 caches that I plan putting out this weekend. Just waiting for the kids so they can help hide our first caches. They will be placed with the winter and snow in mind, so keep a watch for them. Both will have T.B.'s in them so the kids can track them. Hmmmmmm who will first??? icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not planning on letting winter stop my geocaching, but since this will be my first winter, I'll have to see how it goes.

I didn't go caching last weekend because of the snowstorm. I really didn't feel like being out and about while the drivers here learned how to cope with a few flakes. I am planning on being out next weekend, and the weekend after that.

I really won't know what winter caching is like though until we get some winter. Here in the Toronto area, that won't occur for at least another couple of months.

The very first cache I found (not the first I searched for I might add) "Bending Tree" aka

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=900 had me walking through snow that was literally up to my waist. Great fun though and that first cache must have made an impression on me as all the ones that I've hidden locally call for plenty of hiking into the woods! I've since added a Tilley hat, hiking boots, backpack and a 2-way radio to my standard caching equipment. Oh yeah, I bought some snow tires too. The usefullness of these cannot be overstated. Even on very cold days it doesn't take much of a hike to get the blood going to keep you warm. I was out last weekend in the cold and found myself sweating under my hat. Biggest issue in the winter I've found it running out of daylight so consequently earlier starting times for caching must be observed.

quote:
Originally posted by Coupar-Angus:

The very first cache I found (not the first I searched for I might add) "Bending Tree" aka

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=900 had me walking through snow that was literally up to my waist.

Sorry to say this but looks like Bending Tree has snapped... cache seems to have been pilfered. Sounds like it was an interesting find.

Snow shoes... hummmm I have a pair of those... this could be fun.

Happy snow caching icon_biggrin.gif

Yup

don't let the white stuff stop you.This is the best time for caching.Bring snowshoes,exta batteries,fiberglass pole and poke in there.The trees are bare and the signal are perfect.Also bring a 12 pack of hotdogs and beverage of choice along a good fire and you have the making of a perfect day out.Sunscreen for the nose icon_biggrin.gif !!!

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

I tried for a new cache in the KW area yesterday after a work meeting (my office is in KW, I live in Unionville) and by the time I got to the general area, it was DARK... and I did not have much faith in being able to find the cache with the measley flashlight I had with me... one of the potential downsides of winter caching...

DD