Border Crossing Tales

twoloosescrews

Anyone have any funny or strange tales crossing the U.S./Canada border while caching? What will the upcoming war do to the ease at which we normally cross? Does anyone mention geocaching!

"The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'Cover for me'. Number two, 'Oh, good idea boss'. Number three, 'It was like that when I got here'."

Because of the high level of security now, we always tell the border guard we are going hiking. In warmer months we cross the 1000 islands bridge regularly from NY to Ontario and back again. Except for the long lines and not having a birth certificate with us, we don't have much trouble. Of course, we look 100% Anglo and drive a minivan. Not much of a threat. We're trying to lure more folks down from Ontario to NY but it sounds like its about to get harder. I heard on NPR that the US is going to force travelers to get visas. Sad times.

I don't say I'm going Geocaching for fear f what that could trigger. I just say "going for gas" or "going for dinner".

A couple of years ago when I first starting Geocaching, I went after my firsts cache in Michigan. It happened to be near a airport. There I was driving slowly around in neighborhoods, in my beat up old truck, with Ontario license plate.

After I found the cache, I started wondering what would of happened if someone called the cops on me or the border patrol. This was before 9/11.

I don't think I'd try it now.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

[This message was edited by boreal jeff & sons on March 21, 2003 at 09:36 AM.]

I can speak from experence here... the word "Geocaching" should not be spoken to a border gaurd, unless you like answering ALOT of questions and having your trunk searched. I use the term "hiking" now.

my experence was:

"whats the purpose of your visit?"

"we are going geocaching"

"what?!?"

"geocaching, it is a 'treasue hunt' using the GP..."

"treasure? you're looking for treasure... so are you bringing anything down with you"

"well not that kind of treasure... mostly just crap, little kids toys"

"so is this business or personal"

etc... this went on for 10 min... i am not kidding!

as far as i am concerned the less they knwo the better!

i was doing pretty well on all his questions until her asked "this sounds pretty complicated, so cani ask WHY?!?" i had to think abnout that one icon_wink.gif

oh and if you a canadian citizen you do NOT need a passport to enter the USA, picture ID and proof of citizenship (birth certificate) will do!

quote:
Originally posted by res2100:

Semi related...but I recently heard form a friend that is going to the States tonight that you now need a passport to go there...he stood in line to pick his up today.

Is this true, or is this just "suggested" for non-Canadians?

In the past, all we needed was out Canadian birth certificate, and more recently a photo id.

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

I know a (very white) guy who just went for a 3 day training course. He realized too late that his passport was expired but he went with a Drivers License and Birth Certificate anyways.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command