What is this?

The idea for this post is for waymarkers to post items that they need help identifying. Remember, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

On my way home, I spotted this old car on display.  I stopped and circled back to have a better look. Now the question is, What is it? This old car is on display in British Columbia, Canada, though it could be American made. 

333909071_aCarStoneHouse(3).JPG.9f23bb72f1ccc999a5aa70936b948620.JPG

1939009927_aCarStoneHouse(5).JPG.f65976eefb144e0f2e631d312d1b0a11.JPG

157748524_aCarStoneHouse(4).JPG.8fa78df1bb5aa6b0cea8c763b56bff5e.JPG

24 minutes ago, GerandKat said:

Looks more like a Ford Model A -> Link to English Wiki -> Link to picture in German Wiki

I appreciate the information, however please note the door handles in the photos. The car featured has different placement of the handles. 

The body design is a good match. 

Thank you.

I did find a 1927 Cadillac with the same placement of the door handles and the body design is similar, though not totally convinced. 

I was looking at 1927 Hudson Super Six is listed Verkauft on ClassicDigest in Kastellstraße 56DE-74080 Heilbronn by Auto Dealer for €19900. - ClassicDigest.com and that looks quite similar in some details. I don't even know what they call these parts in German, but if you look at the wheels I see some small "hills" almost in the center and 6 of them further out and I think I can also see them on the rusty thing. The door handles are also on the right side of the door, the radiator grille has horizontal slats, the fenders look similar etc.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

I was looking at 1927 Hudson Super Six is listed Verkauft on ClassicDigest in Kastellstraße 56DE-74080 Heilbronn by Auto Dealer for €19900. - ClassicDigest.com and that looks quite similar in some details. I don't even what the call these parts in German, but if you look at the wheels I see some small "hills" almost in the center and 6 of them further out and I think I can also see them on the rusty thing. The door handles are on the right side of the door etc.

I am impressed. :o

Even the front window has the same bottom curve. 

Thanks, PISA-caching

I did look at several images I found online, and this is a very good match. 

Thought?

• Helpful 1

The radiator, boxy/flat top roof, triple side windows, mid-height body line detail,  running board step plate (?), and wooden spoke wheels looks to be more aligned to your match with the Cadillac, but a 1924 DeVille because of the small lights just below the windshield. Based on the age of the car, it might be a custom coach work situation? And/or the front door handle location might not be original? (Owner preferred rear-hinge opening.)

Buuuut...the small lights just below the windshield make me also think 1928 Chevrolet AB National and 1928 Chevrolet AB National Imperial is a possibility, too.

• Helpful 1
9 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

WAY TO GO, Andreas!!! I had looked at 1929 and other Super Sixes, but gave up before I got back to 1927. I believe you have it!!!

AAMOF, it can't be a '26 or a '28, as both had noticeable differences from the '27. Helluvan eye there Andeas.

• Love 1

Sorry, but I neglected to mention that I think it was a GREAT IDEA to treat this thread as a target place for others to also post their "Unknown Objects", the idea being to elicit help with identification from the community!

Our buddy Andreas quickly indicated that it works!

Keith

EDIT: Another "neglected to mention" - 401Photos, you need to hone your Old Car Identifying Eye. Closer examination of the radiators of the 1924 DeVille and the 1928 Chevrolet AB National reveal sufficient difference to eliminate them both. When trying to identify an old, as in pre WWII, car, always start at the radiator/radiator housing, or, in slightly newer models, the grille. (This often works with somewhat newer cars, too, BTW.) In pre 1940 cars the radiator housing was a major design feature, each manufacturer attempting to make its vehicles identifiable by the design of that housing. In later years that design theory continued into grille design.

That will save you oodles of time, as it will quickly eliminate well over 90% of the candidates.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
6 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

Any ideas what this is?

101.JPG

Ideas? Yes.

But, it is difficult to give any details without seeing inside this bucket. I have seen several old household or agricultural machines that all can look like this on the outside but differ in the internal mechanics.

It is clear that it was user to crush, chop, or shred some natural products. And it is not a mill, the holes are too large for grain.

My top bets would go on roots (or other small timber) or straw. Something like these ones or these.

10 minutes ago, Becktracker said:

Haha, that's my picture. It was rejected at old agricultural equipment and household appliances. I thought or was a wringer for laundry. I'll tale a closer look at my next visit to Amersfoort zoo.

It's too bad you didn't take the time to do that the first time around.:antenna:

While reviewing, I'm constantly having to admonish Waymarkers to take TOO MANY pix, as opposed to taking TOO FEW. While the pix themselves are free, the time and cost entailed in returning for more pix are quite a different thing!

AND - I'm quite sure that the "fi guy" is on the right track regarding the purpose of the object in question.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
2 hours ago, Becktracker said:

Haha, that's my picture

Yes it is, copied it in the nick of time, as you deleted the submission. 

Next time you visit the area take a few more pictures, especially the inside and both sides of the unit.  

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

On 7/31/2022 at 4:23 PM, T0SHEA said:

:rolleyes: Thanks to all of you. I think we have a winner.

With a few more pictures and a description, perhaps this can be re-submitted to Old Agricultural Equipment.

What do you think, Keith?

I don't see why not!!!

Get some more pix and send it, Tracker of Becks.

Keith

• Upvote 1

It is Chinese. Google Lens reads it as: 雲霞薇日金碧相 "Yúnxiá wēi rì jīn bì xiāng" but refuses to translate. It also refuses to recognize the bottom line as text.

I suppose a substantial part of the text are names, not "real" words, so that attempts to translate break.

Edited by fi67

Google lens tried to read the picture, but did only output what I wrote above i.e. the Chinese characters and their Pinyin version. Then I fed the the Chinese characters to DeepL.

I have no idea about the situation with Chinese, but in most European languages DeepL is far superior to Google Translate. Of course, this translation cannot be correct, because the last line was missing. Google refused to recognize it as text, and I did not find the character for it. I am not even sure if it is one two glyphs.