Handicap Sites

andysgps

I downloaded an icon from a website and tried to superimpose it over the geocaching icon but never had time to finish.

There have been several posts requesting "Handicap" accessable as a flag when you submit the cache so that it could be an icon beside the cache in the list.

Unfortunatly, this has not been a priority for anyone.

My recommendation went like this:

There should be 2 wheelchair accessible levels. Level 1 being that if you are in a wheelchair but can reach down and pick something up then you can visit this cache. Level 2 is wheelchair accessible with a companion. This would require that the cache be no more then 20m off the accessible trail so that the person in the chair could watch the companion find the cache, (perhaps giving them directions via 2 way radio as well) and then the companion would bring the cache to the person waiting on the trail.

I envision 2 icons. One being a standard wheelchair logo and the other being a person pushing a wheelchair.

The site would then need to add a field in the database to support this and a query to draw an Icon, just like the travelbug Icon.

Please post this message in the discussing geocaching forum for more input!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I downloaded an icon from a website and tried to superimpose it over the geocaching icon but never had time to finish.

There have been several posts requesting "Handicap" accessable as a flag when you submit the cache so that it could be an icon beside the cache in the list.

Unfortunatly, this has not been a priority for anyone.

My recommendation went like this:

There should be 2 wheelchair accessible levels. Level 1 being that if you are in a wheelchair but can reach down and pick something up then you can visit this cache. Level 2 is wheelchair accessible with a companion. This would require that the cache be no more then 20m off the accessible trail so that the person in the chair could watch the companion find the cache, (perhaps giving them directions via 2 way radio as well) and then the companion would bring the cache to the person waiting on the trail.

I envision 2 icons. One being a standard wheelchair logo and the other being a person pushing a wheelchair.

The site would then need to add a field in the database to support this and a query to draw an Icon, just like the travelbug Icon.

Please post this message in the discussing geocaching forum for more input!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4525_1300.gif

"This site would be of class 1 but is under the boardwalk. That person would need to get out of the chair and reach under the walk. We could use input from these cachers

Andy "

This is a reply I received from Jeremy . He is working on something for these types of caches icon_smile.gif

I’ve been following that in the forums. I’m working on “attributes” you can apply to caches. One of them will be wheelchair accessible.

Jeremy

742_900.jpg

This is a reply I received from Jeremy . He is working on something for these types of caches icon_smile.gif

I’ve been following that in the forums. I’m working on “attributes” you can apply to caches. One of them will be wheelchair accessible.

Jeremy

742_900.jpg

I must say, I am happy to see others are as concerned about the access to geocaching, as I have been for the geocacher with limitations. I have been a school bus driver for many years and i deal with children and adults with disabilities on a daily basis, and I have tried to be thoughtful when placing a cache. I have currently have three cahes out that are virtual, and hope to place a traditional in the near future. Lets keep this going since geocaching is not just for the person who can do a 5/5 without breaking a sweat :F

"Sing like no one is listening,

Dance like no one is watching,

and fart like you don't care"

I've placed two caches, both micros, but with trade items, and both are wheelchair accessible to a degree. I explain this in the cache descriptions, but I'm not sure whether they would qualify as accessible enough to get a wheelchair icon. The first one is Chalmers Park Microcache, which you can get to by wheelchair, but would not be able to reach the actual cache container. The second one is Check It Out Microcache, which you could do from a wheelchair, though part of it would require bending down and reaching out about a foot.

I know 'physically handicapped' encompasses a wide range of abilities, and I'm not sure where one would draw the line for the purposes of cache designations.

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***