Retired and moved to another state, how do I take my geocaches with me?

JnLCollins

We have retired and no longer frequent the place where our geocaches were placed as often as we used to, which was 4-5 times a year. Now it is some distance for us and we know we may not make it to their location even once a year or so. We would like to pick them up and find new locations for them where we live now. Confused on the difference between Archived and Disabled. Definitely will be remaining members and want to retain account with these caches placed near our new home. What is best way to do this?

Thank you for your help!

JnLCollins

• Funny 1
2 hours ago, JnLCollins said:

Confused on the difference between Archived and Disabled. Definitely will be remaining members and want to retain account with these caches placed near our new home. What is best way to do this?

First, Disable is a temporary solution if a cache is not accessible for some reason, allowing you as a CO to repair, replace, or otherwise fix the cache.  Archive  is when a cache is no longer going to be available.

It sounds like your new home will be some distance from the current location of the caches.  The solution would be to pick up your container(s), archive the cache listings, and then create a new listing at your new place of residence.  Moving the cache cntainers that long distance will make it a new cache - you can give it the same name, but it will have a new GC code and obviously, new coordinates.  

Enjoy your retirement!  We began geocaching when my husband retired, and it's been a perfect hobby for us!

• Helpful 5
3 hours ago, JnLCollins said:

We have retired and no longer frequent the place where our geocaches were placed as often as we used to, which was 4-5 times a year. Now it is some distance for us and we know we may not make it to their location even once a year or so. We would like to pick them up and find new locations for them where we live now. Confused on the difference between Archived and Disabled. Definitely will be remaining members and want to retain account with these caches placed near our new home. What is best way to do this?

Thank you for your help!

JnLCollins

CAVinoGal said it perfectly. You'll want to archive your caches and take the containers with you to place in your new location. New city, new caches, new GC codes. The others will remain in your account as archived geocaches that you placed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
6 hours ago, JnLCollins said:

Thank you for your help!

JnLCollins

And, it might be a nice thing to tell the story on the NEW cache page of the OLD cache that it used to be, and even give a hyperlink to the old page, suggesting that people could go and read the logs of it's former life.

That's done a lot, but no so often that people wouldn't find it unique and memorable.

• Helpful 2

Thanks all, appreciate the help! We will pick our caches up when we are there Memorial Weekend and bring them home. Kinda sad about it, they are pretty good ones, and were designed for the area. I want to make sure I can go back and read the entries, will they be saved if I archive? and for how long? or should I print them off to save in our geocache memory/caches of interest folder? (yes, I'm that old) I thought about putting a note that they are being archived/retired, should I do that before we go or not?

• Funny 1

Archived caches never go away. You'll be able to read the logs in the future via your cache owner dashboard.

You could post a note that they're going to be Archived. That gives anyone watching them notice, in case they haven't gotten out to find them yet. :)

Edited by TriciaG
  • Helpful 5
32 minutes ago, JnLCollins said:

Thanks all, appreciate the help! We will pick our caches up when we are there Memorial Weekend and bring them home. Kinda sad about it, they are pretty good ones, and were designed for the area. I want to make sure I can go back and read the entries, will they be saved if I archive? and for how long? or should I print them off to save in our geocache memory/caches of interest folder? (yes, I'm that old) I thought about putting a note that they are being archived/retired, should I do that before we go or not?

No need to print the Internet. 😁 Yes, you can read all those logs even after you archive the geocache. 

I think that's a nice idea to leave a note on the page that it'll be archived soon, give those who haven't found it a last chance to do so?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 5/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, CAVinoGal said:

The solution would be to pick up your container(s), archive the cache listings...

Just to be clear: archive first, *then* pick up the containers.

By the way, I'm not the least bit worried about you keeping your caches in place even though you won't be living nearby and won't be in the area as often. How often do your caches have problems? If your caches rarely need maintenance, I, for one, would rather see good caches that you're proud of stay available even if it won't be as easy for you to maintain them next time they do have a problem. Naturally I'd understand if you just didn't want to be responsible for them anymore, but the way you talking about them, you feel like you're required to archive them, and that's not the case.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
17 hours ago, JnLCollins said:

Thanks all, appreciate the help! We will pick our caches up when we are there Memorial Weekend and bring them home.

Kinda sad about it, they are pretty good ones, and were designed for the area.

I want to make sure I can go back and read the entries, will they be saved if I archive?

I thought about putting a note that they are being archived/retired, should I do that before we go or not?

Designed for that area, I was going to ask if you thought they could be offered up for Adoption.  Too late?

Realize they will no longer belong to you with this option...

True, no one's been to any since '20, but you did perform OM just last Summer, so they're good for a while...    

If an option, make mention in the description on each cache in bold. 

You've found caches that are now archived.  Look 'em up and you'll spot your log.

- Logs are saved because, like the caches they're attached to, it's all part of this hobby's history.   :)

• Helpful 1
On 5/15/2022 at 5:25 PM, TriciaG said:

You could post a note that they're going to be Archived. That gives anyone watching them notice, in case they haven't gotten out to find them yet. :)

If I decide to Archive a listing I will Disable it explaining my plans, then Archive either in the field or the day before I physically remove it, which might be weeks or months later. That gives watchers and preloaded GPX advance notice while making it clear it shouldn't be in anyone's longterm plans.

• Helpful 1