hello from western SC

romoshka

Returning to geocaching after a 12-year hiatus.  Have cleaned out the corrosion (leaky batteries after long neglect) on my old Garmin etrex VISTA Cx, installed new batteries and it still works.  Renewed my premium membership (surprised that my data was still there) but the website looks so different than I remembered.  If memory serves, the big advantage to the premium membership, was the ability to load geocaches directly from the computer to the GPS rather than having to manual load them but I can't seem to even get my old garmin to talk much less load.  Perhaps technology has grown faster than my 67-year-old brain has faded.  I will search but are there any tutorials here?  Anybody on here from Clemson area?

Returning to geocaching after a 12-year hiatus.  Have cleaned out the corrosion (leaky batteries after long neglect) on my old Garmin etrex VISTA Cx, installed new batteries and it still works.  Renewed my premium membership (surprised that my data was still there) but the website looks so different than I remembered.  If memory serves, the big advantage to the premium membership, was the ability to load geocaches directly from the computer to the GPS rather than having to manual load them but I can't seem to even get my old garmin to talk much less load.  Perhaps technology has grown faster than my 67-year-old brain has faded.  I will search but are there any tutorials here?  Anybody on here from Clemson area?

You need a GPS that works in "Mass Storage Mode" to directly send Geocache files from the site.  Older devices are no longer supported for that.  You may need helper software such as GSAK, Easygps, or GPSBabel to load a lot of files.  It's simpler to read or print cache descriptions and enter the coordinates manually, if you're going out to hunt just a cache or two every once in a while.  Beware that there are limits on what the GPS can hold, and what can be displayed.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
16 hours ago, romoshka said:

If memory serves, the big advantage to the premium membership, was the ability to load geocaches directly from the computer to the GPS rather than having to manual load them but I can't seem to even get my old garmin to talk much less load. 

Perhaps technology has grown faster than my 67-year-old brain has faded. 

Welcome back!  :)

Yeah... A lot has happened in 12 years.   If you're gonna keep your long-outdated GPSr, I agree with kunarion...

I've loaded caches manually to a 60cxs since starting.  Takes less than 2 minutes a cache.

All hints, or any other needed info goes in a small notepad.   Simple...

Having that notepad means I never have the excuse of not having a pen to sign a log.

If you have a modern phone, there's always the Geocaching app as well.  Modern phones may be a bit more "accurate" too.

Good luck and have fun.

• Helpful 1