Cannot see found caches of a friend of mine

Hyger

Hey,

back after a hiatus, I wanted to log some caches, found one year ago with a friend. I do not remember where we went, so I wanted to check his caches and log accordingly. Surprise, I cannot find a way to see all his caches, despite him having it allowed for the friends to see. I have it the same way, and he can see mine, so what's going on? Is it now a premium member feature only? I can see the caches hidden by him, though.

Tried this on Firefox on my laptop, and Bromite on phone, no difference.

Bez názvu.png

Sweet, thanks for the replies. I was going to renew anyway, so it's not a big deal, but to tell the truth, it sort of defeats the purpose of Geocaching friendship, when you cannot even see your friends' found caches. Maybe they should put friendship for premium members only as well. And most importantly, state this fact in Premium Benefits...

22 minutes ago, Hynz said:

But currently ist's still possible to use the old search:

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

There you can search for caches found by other users..... for now.....

Thanks, that will do!

• Helpful 2
23 hours ago, Hyger said:

Sweet, thanks for the replies. I was going to renew anyway, so it's not a big deal, but to tell the truth, it sort of defeats the purpose of Geocaching friendship, when you cannot even see your friends' found caches. Maybe they should put friendship for premium members only as well. And most importantly, state this fact in Premium Benefits...

Thanks, that will do!

I wouldn't want to move 'Friendships' to PM-benefit status, but I would be in favor of BMs being able to see their Friend's finds. 

• Helpful 1
On 5/15/2022 at 11:10 PM, AlmondEyes said:

You have an option to allow or disallow people from seeing all kinds of things on your profile.  Perhaps your friend changed their settings so no one can view their finds, where as they used to at least allow friends to view them.  Just a thought….

No, that's not it. From a release notes of April last year:

• With this change, we removed the workaround for Basic members to access Premium member filter options. 
  • Basic members no longer see all finds from another player.

Clearly an intentional change. As usual it's hard to see the reasoning behind this, but experiments show that "all finds" should actually be read as "any finds" and there are some speculating that this was done to prevent basic members from getting access to information about PM caches.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, Hyger said:

Hey,

back after a hiatus, I wanted to log some caches, found one year ago with a friend. I do not remember where we went, so I wanted to check his caches and log accordingly. Surprise, I cannot find a way to see all his caches, despite him having it allowed for the friends to see. I have it the same way, and he can see mine, so what's going on? Is it now a premium member feature only? I can see the caches hidden by him, though.

Tried this on Firefox on my laptop, and Bromite on phone, no difference.

Bez názvu.png

Just out of curiosity, are you friends' finds showing on your leaderboard!

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Just out of curiosity, are you friends' finds showing on your leaderboard!

Yes and also on the new dashboard I see that my friend has recently loged a certain cache and only when clicking on it I discover that it is a PM cache.

11 hours ago, ChriBli said:

and there are some speculating that this was done to prevent basic members from getting access to information about PM caches

I can't see why someone would make this speculation. What eventual additional information I would I get from such lists?

No, the reason for excluding Basic Members from that information is IMNSHO purely pushing BMs to become PMs which regarding this very issue is extremely disappointing and this has nothing to do that I'm currently a BM.

Take away any access to "convenience"-features of the webpage for BMs, no problem. But don't make it difficult and even impossible to find caches (and consequently logs) of users which you found out have simmilar taste regarding selection of caches or do write informative logs.

10 hours ago, Hynz said:

I can't see why someone would make this speculation. What eventual additional information I would I get from such lists?

Well, I don't know. Because lacking explanation leaves only speculation?

One thing that could be learned from such lists is GC-codes of PM caches. Not sure if that is of any help. I don't remember what it was like in this respect when I was a BM, but if I had noticed a ridiculous restriction like this it would have pushed me to stay BM until the end of time. I do remember that sometimes the browse map suffered a hiccup that made it show no smileys at all but instead all PM caches. I logged a few PM trads that way, by locating them using the browse map. And when I had the GC codes, I could also log them online. This may have changed since then.

13 hours ago, ChriBli said:

One thing that could be learned from such lists is GC-codes of PM caches. Not sure if that is of any help.

When searching as a BM as a list you get to see all PM caches including GC-code, distance, name, owner and number of favorite points.

You even get to see as the first two caches in this list always two PM caches regardless of their distance just to make sure you are immediately reminded that you are missing something as a BM. :rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.74b6593913f5f47f00bd8d3c431e8eed.png

• Helpful 3