Benchmarks

pappy

Is a benchmark on a map (an arrow with the altitude beside it) the same place where you can find one of the canadian survey markers. On your own cache page it says whether you have found any benchmarks along with any caches you have found.

If this is so then i guess a benchmark is a virtual cache. Thats if there is a plaque or something there.

Pappy

Sounds like Canada is on Jeremy's list.... icon_cool.gif

Posted in the Benchmark Hunting forum December 6th

"Plans are to offer benchmarking for Canada and the UK (so far). Elias is working with the folks in Canada to get the data. Integrating it into the site will take some work.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location"

quote:
Originally posted by Goodguys:

Isn't there a database of Canadian survey markers (the round brass markers, about 2" diameter)?

Which ones? Geodedic Survey of Canada, Dept of Public Works, Fraser River Authority, Ports Canada, Provincial Geodectic Survey, City of Vancouver, Canadian Hydrographic Service, CNR, BC Hydro, etc. etc. etc.? There are dozens of agencies that have their own "round brass markers, about 2" diameter". Which ones are you after?

Oops!

I didn't dig deep enough. The benchmarks are there; the NRCan site returns a short report pretty quickly. But a search of benchmarks with 40k of my house returned over 600 records, which seemed to cause the system to choke. icon_frown.gif It wouldn't spit out a report.

I had presumed all the brass markers were benchmarks, registered through a common agency. Looks like there's more to it than that. But the Geodedic Survey of Canada will do me for now.