Why does B.C. have Sooooo many caches?

balloonatic

I've just returned from the Island and I would like to open a general discussion on…

I don’t know the exact numbers as the Search feature of the site fails with Provincial searches right now.

I do know, as I scroll through the list of caches for Canada, the B.C. province seems to show up a lot.

The top 10 ranking for Geocache finds include 7 from B.C. and for good reason. The caches are thick in that part of the country!

Obviously there are more caches planted in B.C. but WHY?

Is the sport more mature there?

More retired people with more available time?

More tourism hence more caches planted?

Better terrain, more scenic?

Is there one group or individual who is responsible for championing the sport there? KFWB?

More alcohol consumed per capita?

Am I just imagining things?

Should I be consuming more alcohol?

Any thoughts?

Any advice for other areas of the country?

balloonatic

We tend to do most everything that is fun a lot better in this province because we're much more mature. icon_wink.gif

In all seriousness, I've always contended that BC is the sweet spot of the entire planet. We have a LOT of great outdoor places to go and hide caches and we have a lot of people caching here that really enjoy the outdoors.

A search at Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint indicates that there are 1043 caches in BC as of 22 July 2003. TEAM KFWB GPS has about 20 percent with just over 200 caches placed (mostly on Vancouver Island).

Pretty much all the points you posted are true except for more retired people -- I don't think that one applies too much (judging from all the cachers that I've met, most are late twenties to early fifties).

The beer helps too. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pharmadude:

quote:

Here I've been thinking just the opposite! I was going to start a topic wondering why so few new caches have been turning up close to home lately.

Vancouver needs more new urban caches. I recently placed one but it hasn't been visited very much. Only 7 finds in exactly 2 weeks. I thought it was quite an interesting place but I guess there are too many people around to do it during the daytime. If you want to check it out its: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&ID=79118

quote:
Originally posted by DocMagoo:

hmmmmm.........I wonder if there's a corresponding high incidence of divorces in BC to go along with this icon_biggrin.gif

Corelation does not equal cause and effect. I do agree though that BC's divorce trend is increasing, as well, geocaches are dense in south-western British Columbia.

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

quote:
Acuracura wrote:

I recently placed one but it hasn't been visited very much. Only 7 finds in exactly 2 weeks.

You'll find that caches placed at elementary schools and playgrounds won't get hit as often as others. I certainly won't do a cache like this during the day.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Acuracura wrote:

I recently placed one but it hasn't been visited very much. Only 7 finds in exactly 2 weeks.

You'll find that caches placed at elementary schools and playgrounds won't get hit as often as others. I certainly won't do a cache like this during the day.

True. Even when checking up on it I have to go at night. Even though school is out for the summer there are still kids always playing around there so its hard to find a good time to go. I went to check on it at 200 hours (2am) and there were some teenagers drinking and smoking (cigarettes and perhaps marijuana) so I was unable to check on it. I guess the only good time is after the sun goes down, before the teens come out.

I hope to place an equally clever cache somewhere in the marpole or oakridge communities soon.

quote:

I'm reluctant to even do a schoolyard cache period. *Maybe* on a weekend only.

But the question is: why so many?

a) forests and mountains

;) logging and logging roads

A better question is why are there so few elsewhere. Where were you comparing to?

icon_eek.gif

Well I guess I've got egg on my face...

I just checked Buxley's Waypoint Site and ON has 1128 caches while BC has 1044.

Suprised no one pointed this out!

I guess now the question becomes...

Why are the cachers with the highest number of finds in B.C.?

In response to canadazuuk, I'm reffering to Canada ONLY!

Learn from the mistakes of others as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

balloonatic

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

I'm reluctant to even do a schoolyard cache period. *Maybe* on a weekend only.

Why not? Simply because there are too many people around? Or is there some other reason I don't know about?

quote:
Acuracura wrote:

Why not? Simply because there are too many people around? Or is there some other reason I don't know about?

C'mon, what do you think would happen if a 40 year old man was lurking around a schoolyard full of kids?

At my kids school, if there is ANY suspicious looking people on the grounds, they will immediately call the police. Even if just innocently caching, I don't want the agravation and embarasment of answering police questions.

Schoolyards and playgrounds are just not good places to put caches. There's lots of parks around that have places where you can do the same type of cache that you are doing.

You can go ahead and put your caches in these places if you want -- there's no rule against it -- but I won't be doing them.

quote:

quote:
Acuracura wrote:

C'mon, what do you think would happen if a 40 year old man was lurking around a schoolyard full of kids?

At my kids school, if there is ANY suspicious looking people on the grounds, they will immediately call the police. Even if just innocently caching, I don't want the agravation and embarasment of answering police questions.

Schoolyards and playgrounds are just not good places to put caches. There's lots of parks around that have places where you can do the same type of cache that you are doing.

You can go ahead and put your caches in these places if you want -- there's no rule against it -- but I won't be doing them.

I agree that it may be suspicious to be lurking around during school hours. That is why I placed this cache in the summer time. There is no school right now and when it returns then there is always time to do it when classes are not in session. I understand a school probably wasn't the best place. I'll try to pick a better spot next time so the cache will get more traffic. Thanks for your input Jomarac 5.

Ontario may have more caches, but they also have more people.

BC has so many beautiful places, milder weather than the rest of the country (cooler in summer, warmer in winter), and is full of people who love to explore.

I've found that what people love about BC is the scenery, the -insert any outdoor adventure sport here-ing, and the lax nature of the people. Therefore, I can only assume that there are more adventurous, outdoorsy, explorer-type people in BC.

There are also sooooo many undiscovered beauties in our own backyards that we all want to show eachother. It makes for a great caching community.