what is the best GPS?

Casara18

hey all!

just trying to find out the best GPS that is availbe for the Civilan Market....i m looking for The best model that can be used as a moving map..or alt finder..something that is fast and works well in heavy woods {forest}.. if any body has a favrite type let me know..

thanks happy hunting and good luck for the summer..

C18

Thats a loaded question, kinda like whats the best truck.

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista and am tickled pink with it 99% of the time, base map is good, the more detailed maps available for it are handy. The only place it has struggled was in some ugly tall wet trees in BC. The entire eTrex family I think has the same basic hardware engine.

If you're talking canopy one of the other antenna types (as opposed to the 'Patch' type in the eTrex) supposedly performs better(can't remember name), some Garmins feature that other type as do some models from other brands.

If you want serious reliability in da woods, get one with an extendable or external amplified antenna (Garmin 12XL comes to mind). I always wondered about mounting the antenna at the top of a 10m pole.

Have fun,

Park2

PS: everybody knows it's a Ford.

I've been very happy with my magellan. It has a quadrifilar helix antenna which grabs the signals better under tree canopy than a garmin (or so i've heard). I own an older model, so I can't upload maps. The newer ones have an upload capability and an altimeter. I went to their website and asked for some info and they sent me a package telling me about all of their models.

http://www.magellangps.com/

Well, a really, really difficult question to answer... depends on what you want. I have used an old Magellan 315 for years and it was cheap and serviceable... recently got a Meridian Gold... sort of high-end Magellan. Very cool unit and tons of features. Good coverage under cover and works well when being shaken around on the handlebars of a mountain bike... link below will give you some info.

Happy Caching

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=90

We have 2 GPSr's - a Lowrance GlobalMap 100 and a Garmin Vista. The Lowrance works great in the car, in the house and in the woods. The Vista likes a clear view of the sky and will work in the car only when close to a window, refuses to get a fix in the house by any window, and will work in the woods under light tree cover. If we didn't have the Lowrance to compare it to, the Vista would be a fantastic unit. The Lowrance is HUGE compared to the little Vista, so maybe bigger really is better. icon_smile.gif

We have 2 GPSr's - a Lowrance GlobalMap 100 and a Garmin Vista. The Lowrance works great in the car, in the house and in the woods. The Vista likes a clear view of the sky and will work in the car only when close to a window, refuses to get a fix in the house by any window, and will work in the woods under light tree cover. If we didn't have the Lowrance to compare it to, the Vista would be a fantastic unit. The Lowrance is HUGE compared to the little Vista, so maybe bigger really is better. icon_smile.gif

I have the Magellan 315. It is low cost (see postings about rebate and Canadian Tire Walmmart) and it works great in the forests. The only thing is it doesn't allow for actual maps with streets and such.

But then again all the woods that I cache/hike in seem to have had all the street signs stolen by the squirrels...

GPS's...A step in the right direction!

I had been using the Magellan 315 for a couple of years and found it to be a great little unit. I have since moved on to the Garmin Map 76. It has more bells and whistles and most important - the maping capability as well as being waterproof. It does not lose signals under tree canopies but then again we here in the Edmonton area don't have the rain forests of BC. I will have to go there to try it out some day - its a good excuse and I am sticking to it.

Anywho, the 76 maps are the same as the other units that use the MapSource maps but the resolution of the screen on the 76 is a whole lot finer. It is a very good unit and I am glad I spent the money for it.

TrollGRG

[This message was edited by A Troll, A Lady, and Duncan the Dog on September 20, 2002 at 09:59 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Goldguru:

i think i must agree with jrav.........does yers lock in inside your housse???? mine does........

gm100....Gg

Yes! Our GM100 does indeed get a lock in the house....although we cannot navigate from the PC room to the kitchen.

A fisherman told me once that the best lure in your tackle box is the one that you think is the best. When it comes to GPS receivers I think similar logic applies. The newer technology 12 channel receivers are all excellent (okay, well all the ones I've seen). I would base your buying decision on the features (and benefits) of various models factoring in how much you want to budget. That said, I use the Garmin eMap and it works like a champ. I'm told that other units work a little better in the woods, but mine still seems to get me to the cache with high degrees of reliability. I use mine also for cycling and in the car and in my opinion the value of the built-in maps and companion Mapsource PC software is excellent.

Cheers! Coupar-Angus

Today I am favoring No. 13, No. 02 and No. 31.

I realize that you are probably looking for more reasonably priced devices than these.. a good GPS will cost $50 Mil or more. icon_biggrin.gif

Now if you are looking to purchase a GPSr, then you want to consult with Joe: http://joe.mehaffey.com. he will give you the low-down on just about any model made. My personal feelings are that the Garmin Vista will give you the most bang for the buck.