maps :-(

Guest 300mag

Guest 300mag

Too bad we don't have all those maps we would like to get for our mapping units.I hope someday there will be maps for Canada not only the US.We are very limited in mapping software .

I have found this site in another forum www.fugawi.com

This seems to be a great mapping software.It even contains some Canadian maps.You can also scan and use the one's you need.If anyone knows more let me know.

Ok i've found one more at www.qvn-canada.com

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 03-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 03-20-2001).]

I agree it's a shame we don't have access to all the USGS data that the Americans have, but at least we get to use the GPS satellites for free which they paid for with tax dollars icon_smile.gif

I?ve been looking for Canadian digital topo data for some time now and haven?t ever gotten a straight answer from anyone. Has anybody bought the qvn-canada.com navigator product and used the digital maps? What format were they in? Can they be used with other programs? What resolution/scale are the maps?

Specifically I?m asking about the Nova Scotia CD (for obvious reasons), but any observations about any Canadian digital map data would be welcome.

I agree it's a shame we don't have access to all the USGS data that the Americans have, but at least we get to use the GPS satellites for free which they paid for with tax dollars icon_smile.gif

I?ve been looking for Canadian digital topo data for some time now and haven?t ever gotten a straight answer from anyone. Has anybody bought the qvn-canada.com navigator product and used the digital maps? What format were they in? Can they be used with other programs? What resolution/scale are the maps?

Specifically I?m asking about the Nova Scotia CD (for obvious reasons), but any observations about any Canadian digital map data would be welcome.

Guest mazda626

From an Alberta perspective there's not as much choice in sources of digital maps other then for the Rocky Mountain parks. (Neither QV or Fugawi have maps)

Spetrum Digital Imaging does offer maps for much of the rest of the province (no web site but they are sold by MapTown http://www.maptown.com/. SoftMap also has maps for Alberta as well as GPS software http://www.softmaptechnologies.com/volEN_alb_topo50.html

Other mapping software that you might want to look at is OziExplorer http://www.oziexplorer.com/

or GPS Trackmaker (freeware)http://www.gpstm.com

I have searched high and low for companies that provide maps for Ontario and came down to two companies. QVN and Softmap Technologies. There is a hug price difference between the two products and I don't know if it's worth it.

I haven't seen softmap's maps or browser but it is much cheaper($70-80) and right now the interface for the GPS is free because it's in beta.

QVN is $180 per section(Ontario has three) and then they want some 60 bucks more to get the GPS interface.

What I use now is QVN's maps and Oziexplorer. Oziexplorer makes a nice little browser once you get used to it. I could nitpick at some of the features but they are minor things like interface changes and layout and stuff. The best part is GPS interface is built right into the program. It isn't an add on like the other companies do it.

With Ozi Explorer I use QVN's Ontario Maps. Ozi explorer allows me to import them. The map files a .png files with an accompaning .cal file. the .png is just the image of the map. the .cal file tells the program where on the picture reflects the proper coordinates.

The .cal file is what gives it it's usefull ness of finding a coordinate and maintaing waypoints.

The maps from QVN are just a digital form of the Gov't topo's you buy at the store. They are 1:50000 for everywhere. There are some bigger maps(1:250000) for popular areas for a larger overview.

Some of the very northern maps are in black and white.

Guest Digiital

Where did you get the Ontario maps? Did you buy them?

I was wonder if someone wanted to get together using OZ or even http://www.gpstm.com/ and build some maps from scans for s.ontario? Better to have a few people work on it, instead of just one person.

Guest mazda626

There are free low quality topomaps in GIF files available from the federal government at Toporama http://toporama.cits.rncan.gc.ca/

These are good if you're just starting out but are not anywhere near the same quality as SDI or QVN maps. Also, they do not have the grids marked on them but they do give you the lat/long for the corners so that they can be calibrated.

I think that the combination of Toporama maps and Gps Trackmaker is good for peole just starting out. It gives you a feel for working with digital maps and lets you explore what other features you would want in a reatil program/maps

Mike

[This message has been edited by mazda626 (edited 27 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by mazda626 (edited 27 June 2001).]

Well, today I went off and bought the maps for Nova Scotia from QVN. They are very clear at 300 dpi and in png format, perfect for my uses. I have yet to try importing the .cal files but I don't think I'll use the included navigator software.

Thanks for the info everyone!

The navigator software is actually pretty usefull. Unfortunately the GPS interface is an add on because that is usefull as well. However using the navigator software you can build a database of waypooints.

You can download cache sites and the will show up as waypooints on the maps.

I use mine and set waypoints for fishing spots, boat launches, and campsites, as well as danger's in lakes that I am aware of(certain rocks or shallow areas).

After some time it will become an invaluable database of information.

Guest DungeonKeeper

I just recently took a trip across Alberta, and found my first 8 caches. I did not use paper maps because I have a laptop computer and a 12VDC-110VAC converter in my car. I use the program Ozi Explorer, and have digital maps for all of Alberta. The program interfaces with the GPS unit I have(reads NMEA output from the GPS) and will show my location on the screen as I travel. The maps are calibrated and read correctly 99% of the time. For instance, if I change lanes on the fourway between Edmonton and Calgary it will actual show the move on the map. The greatest thing about this software though is the unlimited waypoints, routes, tracks etc. you can access. It becomes your data base. It's only limit is the size of your hard drive. If you think laptops are expensive try Ebay, you would not believe how many are listed there. To use software like this does not require a full blown game machine, a one year old computer (PII, 8gig HD, CD-ROM) can go for less than $200 american.

[This message has been edited by DungeonKeeper (edited 07 July 2001).]

Guest n1niq

Check out this page:

http://aprs.rutgers.edu/MacAPRS.htm

If the Canadian topo info is available in electronic format from the government Keith or Mark can probably convert it. They wrote a shareware program that does it for the USGS raw data. I would email them and see if they have any leads or thoughts.

Chris

Guest bradrobb

I have the Softmap set for Southern Ont. I have tried the beta GPS interface and it works with my Lowrance GM100 using NEMA.

I find that I can go out and then print a 8.5x11 map and then plot my trail on it from the GPS. Also if I know where I am going I can print the map first and use my Eclipse GPS compass and plot location using UTM.

I find this a good combo for me.

Brad

Guest Digiital

I've been playing around with the following site alittle more this morning and found that you can get some really detailed topo maps.

http://toporama.cits.rncan.gc.ca/

Once in the main page click on the link:

Orthoimage : See map of available data sets (

http://toporama.cits.rncan.gc.ca/En/ortho_50k.html)

Once there select an area that you want to see. Example area 40, choose an area example NTS NO - 030M11. Now on the left side of the sheet enter that number into field SHEET NUMBER then select either NTDB or ORTHOIMAGE.

From there you can download the large image and place it into a application such as OZExplorore.

=_blank>www.softmaptechnologies.com

I have the Southern Ontario volume. It is good enough for basic on-screen referencing but you cannot do any importing or exporting of waypoints, routes, etc. at least not with Magellan units yet. Also if you create a map it saves to an unknown file format. The only way I could send a map to someone is to do a copy and paste to something like Microsoft Word.

The set is not too expensive (approx. $70). I got my copy at Walmart.

Olar

I have been using the combination of Toporama maps and GPS Trackmaker for over a year and find it very good. While not quite as detailed, the digital maps are more current than the paper versions we have access to in Newfoundland and Labrador (1979 data?). With both being free, why use anything else?

To make useage easier, I save the GIF with the map name and coordinates. (eg. 002e03_Botwood(4925-5550x4900-5500).gif) With that, finding and scaling is a snap. Also, data is easily exchanged with the GPSr, and you can even get real-time positioning.

Peter

For Wheres In A Name I'm looking for 57 42.542' (57 42' 32.5")

I'm using eTopo and Ozi from MapTown here in Calgary. Works good except for when you want street names. Then I switch over to Street & Trips.

I've been having a look at GPSVisualizer to track by balloon flights. Good for tracks but I don't know about waypoints. Even the Canadian stuff works OK.

Check out my Rolling Hills flights in the bottom left hand corner of the example page!