MS Streets & Trips, worth the price for Canada?

tirediron

Just wondering if anyone out there can tell me if purchasing a copy of S&T is worthwhile for us Canadians? I imagine that the detail level for places like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver is ok, but what about the smaller centers? Does anyone have a copy of it that they could send me a couple of screen-shots of so that I can see for myself?

The street detail for small towns is quite good actually.

I have a sales related job and drive all over Ontario.

The maps aren't perfect, but have been useful and compared to continually buying paper maps, economical.

For real time GPS use, it has an irritating delay of 15 seconds, but that can be overcome by third party patch.

Yes it is excellent not only for street level mapping in most centres but also a great tool for organizing geocaches imported to S&T as pushpins which will also link to the individual cache listing page.

Here are three different screen shots (not sure where you are from so I chose Nova Scotia as the example along with Halifax and Herring Cove near your only cache find). The red squares are cache locations. You can display captions for each cache which contain the link to the cache page.

Hope this helps you make a decision. My advise is buy it! You won't be disappointed.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

I second Olar's $0.02.

S&T 2002 is my most often used application for geocache mapping. I would recommend it without hesitation. I have, however, heard/seen a number of issues with 2003 which make it sound like a downgrade. Something you might want to consider when making a purchase decision.

Cheers.

illegitimus nil carborundum

Olar hooked me onto S & T a while back and have not looked backwards since. I use it for planning cache raids and other adventures. I do find the download process a little tedious but it is well worth the effort. I regularly download ALL the newest caches in my area and use the push pins to mark..NEW, FOUND, LOCATIONLESS...etc.

But you nead GeoBuddy, its free.

The order of download is.....

EasyGPS>>>>>GeoBuddy>>>>>>Streets & Trips.

Binrat

P.S. Costco carries it very cheap and comes with a $15 rebate.

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

If I recall, it was only around $55. If you send the required info to Costco they will handle all the paperwork and send you a cheque in a couple of weeks. Best money I ever spent.

Binrat

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

quote:
Originally posted by Binrat:

If I recall, it was only around $55. If you send the required info to Costco they will handle all the paperwork and send you a cheque in a couple of weeks. Best money I ever spent.

There's a thread about purchasing Steets and Trips in the US for under $10USD after rebates. If only crossborder shopping wasn't such a pain icon_frown.gif Or is it a separate version for Canada?

PDOP's GPS Pages

Sorry Car 37 & Shnde, Windows only.

It is usable under Virtual PC for it's mapping ability (personally on a 366 mHz G3). Slow, but usable. I have not tried it with Virtual PC interfaced to my GPS, I think it would be pushing it unless you had a pretty quick machine. Nice to see another Mac out there icon_biggrin.gif

illegitimus nil carborundum

PDOP's,

Once you have your 2003 S&T, it will be interesting to get some feedback from you. I use the 2002 version for geocaching & other things. I have hesitated in upgrading based upon comments made about it being a step backwards for detail - it's bad enough as it is - wrong highway numbers in the Edmonton area.

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)

Screenshots would be great! icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe 2 or 3 would be all that I would need:

- Northwest corner of St Albert

- Northwest Edmonton (far enough out to see hwy 16 and 16a)

- Downtown Edmonton Area

I'll send you my email address via the profile page.

Have a good trip,

StAlbert4

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)

Well... I took the plunge, dropped the $70 at FutureShop and got a copy of S&T 2003. So far, it's been great. I haven't found any errors in the mapping, except for a few minor streets, which are wrong on local maps too (Victoria). So far, worth the money, and recommended!

Tirediron

Some links for you icon_smile.gif

GPS patch which will decrease the position update from 15 seconds to 1 for real time navigation.

GPSBabel to convert the waypoint files from geocaching.com via EasyGPS to a format that can be imported into Streets and Trips.

So far I like Streets and Trips 2003 too. I sent some screen shots to the St Albert 4 so he could compare them to the 2002 edition. It will be interesting to hear his comments

PDOP's GPS Pages