Release Notes (Geocaching® app: New profile view) - May 9, 2022

Release Notes (Geocaching® app: New profile view) - May 9, 2022

With today’s release, we are introducing an update to the Geocaching® mobile app. The profile has a new look and added functionality.

When viewing your own profile

• Tap your profile icon to expand the header, and see your membership status and the date you joined.
  • Update your profile picture from the expanded header view.
  • Collapse the header to see more content on your profile.
  • Explore active souvenir and trackable challenges in a carousel.
  • Premium-only: See how many caches you’ve found this month and when you’ll reach your next milestone.
  • View a list of your finds and hides. Premium members can also sort by distance, Geocache name, and Favorite points.
  • See a preview of your last three souvenirs earned

Other players’ profiles also feature the new style. In addition, you can now view another player’s list of hides. Premium members can also sort by distance, Geocache name, and Favorite points.

To view the new profile, make sure you have the app version 9.1.0 or higher.

Thank you to all who opted into the new profile when it was available via the Experimental features menu, and to everyone who gave feedback in the forum and via our survey.

Disclaimer: We are finishing fixing some last bugs while this release is rolling out. 

Mobile profile before update:

Screenshot_20220323-125412_Geocaching.jpg

New mobile profile (with collapsed and expanded header):

Screenshot_20220323-125643_Geocaching.jpg

Screenshot_20220323-125633_Geocaching.jpg

Nicole (nykkole), Product Manager, is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Geocaching HQ said:

Disclaimer: We are finishing fixing some last bugs while this release is rolling out. 

Why not get all the bugs fixed prior to releasing this? Nobody who is using the app wants the bugs, and nobody is waiting with baited breath for the release of this addition to the app.

We only want the app to function without any bugs.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3

Does this version fix the "You've found a firefly" popup stream?
Because if I log a bunch of caches on the PC and I open the app afterwards I get like 10 popups saying "You've found a firefly" and it kinda gets annoying after a couple.
Especially since I've already got over 7000 points so I don't really care about the fireflies anymore

• Funny 2
23 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

Explore active souvenir and trackable challenges in a carousel.

I'm just curious what determines what is going to be shown on the souvenir carousel? I assume the point is to remind geocachers of current souvenir opportunities? I remember seeing that request somewhere on the forums. 

It's probably too much trouble to include it but I was expecting to see the current CITO souvenir opportunity as an example.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Me frustrate newly hard integration of Android 12 "verified links" function. This means, if anywhere in mobile (chat, email,...) I open link type coord.info it is hardly redirected into this original Geocaching app. Without possibility of selection opening in web browser or in any other app. There is possible trusted links manually add, but is (programatically?) blocked removing or disabling originally predefined links. It is very annoying and I am thinking about uninstall app due this unfriendly forcing :(
Will be possible unblock disabling the predefined links?

Edited by Stumba
10 minutes ago, Stumba said:

Me frustrate newly hard integration of Android 12 "trusted link" function. This means, if anywhere in mobile (chat, email,...) I open link type coord.info it is hardly redirected into this original Geocaching app. Without possibility of selection opening in web browser or in any other app. There is possible trusted links manually add, but is (programatically?) blocked removing or disabling originally predefined links. It is very annoying and I am thinking about uninstall app due this unfriendly forcing :(
Will be possible unblock disabling the predefined links?

On a similar note, I've been  complaining for a long time that I when I get a notification I can't click on the link for the username and go directly to the app MC. This seems like such a basic function to me. 

Regarding this release note: I am not a fan of an icon being on my profile pic.  I get that it's really small and I'm the only one who sees it! 😁

Edited by Max and 99
5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

On a similar note, I've been  complaining for a long time that I when I get a notification I can't click on the link for the username and go directly to the app MC. This seems like such a basic function to me. 

Regarding this release note: I am not a fan of an icon being on my profile pic.  

Basic is leaving it on user, how to recognize followed action. If clicked on coord.info then I prefer select momentally need action (web, original app, other app). On Android in app setup option (means in Android menu system) exists checkmark on Verified links, actually blocked by developers again uncheck! Inserting additionally links is open, but disable this annyoning default forcing is blocked :(

It's minor, but is there a specific reason the profile picture is a circle again?

(This has been discussed when the changes to the header image were introduced as well)

It was a square before the update and everywhere I look on the website it's a square

Profile pics on log activity in the app are also still squares.

18 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

It's minor, but is there a specific reason the profile picture is a circle again?

(This has been discussed when the changes to the header image were introduced as well)

It was a square before the update and everywhere I look on the website it's a square

Profile pics on log activity in the app are also still squares.

Maybe it is an inane desire to look like Facebook?

• Funny 1
On 5/9/2022 at 1:13 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

See a preview of your last three souvenirs earned

Do I understand correctly that my app profile will show the last three souvenirs earned, regardless if I have chosen to hide them on my user profile on the website? And my list of souvenirs on my app profile will show all of them regardless of the ones I've chosen to hide?  One of my recent three I've chosen to hide, but it hasn't gone away from these features on the app. So I just want to clarify that this is intended behavior. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1