SoftMap?

The Underhills

There are several threads on the topic in this forum but I've found Fugawi with Softmap to be a good combination. Fugawi will read SoftMap maps so you don't need the GPS Interface (I have it but rarely use it). If you want to go cheaper you can use Fugawi with Toporama - the maps are free but you have to download and calibrate them or you can buy them precalibrated. Check PDOP's posts and his web-site for more info on these options.

quote:
Originally posted by The Underhills:

I’d like to know if the SoftMap topos are exact scans of the federal ones or are somehow reduced in detail like Toporama. Also, the SoftMap gps interface is about $50 cheaper than Fugawi. I would just like to know if it’s missing any features that might seem critical. Thanks.

Yes SoftMap topos are exact scans. The two screen shots are of a saved hiking track displayed by Fugawi software on a Fugawi topo and on a SoftMap Topo. They are both 1:50000 and at their default zoom level. I believe that Fugawi scanned theirs at a slightly higher resolution which explains the different zoom depth.

I have no experience with the SoftMap gps interface so I cannot give you a comparison there. I will say though that Fugawi's is excellent and you would be hard-pressed to find anything better.

Fugawi Topo

3608_2400.jpg

SoftMap Topo

3608_2500.jpg

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by The Underhills:

I’d like to know if the SoftMap topos are exact scans of the federal ones or are somehow reduced in detail like Toporama. Also, the SoftMap gps interface is about $50 cheaper than Fugawi. I would just like to know if it’s missing any features that might seem critical. Thanks.

Fugawi was on sale at Radio Shack for as low as $75 recently when they were clearing out their stock (they no longer carry it). If you look around you still might be able to find a Radio Shack that has one.

I bought Fugawi specifically because it worked with the SoftMap topos. It can also be used with a variety of other maps (file formats) so it's much more versatile.

PDOP's GPS Pages

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that the SoftMap packages have seamless maps. This is a big advantage over other formats used by Ozi and Fugawi which can only load one map sheet at a time. With seamless you can scroll across the borders of the map sheets to follow rivers, trails, etc.

If you'd like try some other seamless maps for cheap have a look at NaviTrak. Their Banff CD can be had for $5 plus S&H

PDOP's GPS Pages

Just saw the Softmaps on sale out at Eagle Eye Outfitters in Sooke for $69. They've only got the SE BC one but are getting more in soon. They've probably got the best variety of compass's I've ever seen.

I've been playing with a Memory-Map demo and it has a nice feature that welds maps together. Uses the same maps as Ozzi.

There are a few small problems with using SoftMap with Fugawi that are discussed in this old thread. They are minor so don't worry but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

For the areas that aren't covered by your SoftMap package you can use the free Toporama digital maps. There's info on these and how to quickly calibrate them for Fugawi on my website.

PDOP's GPS Pages

[This message was edited by PDOP's on June 12, 2003 at 07:16 PM.]

For owners of SoftMap products the latest version of the SoftMapPlus software (version 4.52.0128 which is a free upgrade) also includes a 30 day demo of their GPS Option. The upgrade is available here.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any documentation about the GPS functions even in the updated manual and help files which are also available for download. icon_frown.gif

PDOP's GPS Pages

Yet another upgrade of SoftMap Plus to version 4.60.0140 is available here. You'll have to register your existing version (serial number required) to get the download.

This new version includes some interesting stuff. You can now see the meta data for the map sheet you're viewing (date, datum, contour interval, etc.)Also you can import and calibrate your own maps.

The GPS Option is included with the upgrade for a 30 day trail and finally documentation about the GPS functions is included in the help files. It also looks like they have plans to offer this trial to everyone in the future.

PDOP's GPS Pages

quote:
Yet another upgrade of SoftMap Plus to version 4.60.0140 is available here.

And I just spent hours downloading the last one - can't wait for high speed to come to this remote corner of SW Ontario icon_wink.gif

quote:
Also you can import and calibrate your own maps.

Have you tried it? How does it compare with Fugawi?