Relabel an Event as a MegaEvent afterwards?

Hi, 

I was wondering whether it is possible to make a simple Event a MegaEvent if there are enough "Attended" logs? 

I know, the guidelines say a Mega must be submitted at least several weeks beforehand. Therefore it could be difficult. 

But I am curious if there were already cases where it was done nonetheless? 

My specific thought is: Is it possible that an event near a Giga event location (may be something like a warm-up or breakfast event or whatever) suddenly attracts 500+ people and so may reach the Mega status? 

Edited by S-Man42
  • Funny 1

I did find this in the help section;

1. Events are not upgraded to Mega after the event has taken place. On rare occasions, a last-minute decision may be made by Geocaching HQ to upgrade an event to Mega status. This is done at the sole discretion of Geocaching HQ. These events may receive the Mega icon, but not the sponsorship benefits of the Mega program.

There was also something about proximity to other events I did not read

Edited by Jayeffel
spelling
  • Helpful 2

It used to be possible to get upgraded to s Mega based on number of Attendees, but I think this stopped once Megas became more common.

I think it might still be possible to to publish a regular Event then get upgraded before it takes place based on a substantial number of Will Attend logs.

Just my opinion, but I feel like a mega event has an implied expectation of being more than a breakfast or ice cream social.  They usually involve a lot of planning and coordination.  Like I said this is just my opinion, I'd be surprised if warm-up or breakfast or whatever turned into a mega event just because it's near a Giga event and a lot of people say they're attending.

• Upvote 3
On 5/9/2022 at 6:44 AM, S-Man42 said:

Is it possible that an event near a Giga event location (may be something like a warm-up or breakfast event or whatever) suddenly attracts 500+ people and so may reach the Mega status? 

I don't know, but I'd guess not. Early in the existence of the Mega type, a dinner and sign up event  the day before  the Mega  went mega. And was assigned Mega status.

After that, it was decided that "side events" for Mega cannot go Mega regardless of attendee numbers.  I speculate that a similar rule exists around Giga; a Giga has associated events, they aren't Mega regardless of attendees. 

I could be wrong =;-) 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

a Giga has associated events, they aren't Mega regardless of attendees. 

We believe the question is intended towards a busy 13 icon day on May 14th on the way to the Giga in Prague...

We've seen a lot of strange events and Citos early on that day on mayor roads towards prague (even 400mi from that Giga away), but there is still a Mega missing that day.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, GerandKat said:

We've seen a lot of strange events and Citos early on that day on mayor roads towards prague (even 400mi from that Giga away), but there is still a Mega missing that day.

I think that this Guideline would disqualify those other events from Mega status, despite them being far away:

To avoid competition, Mega-Events must not be scheduled closely in distance or time to one another (refer to this map of Mega/Giga-Events). 

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=23&pgid=86

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
22 hours ago, GerandKat said:

We believe the question is intended towards a busy 13 15 icon day on May 14th on the way to the Giga in Prague...

FTFY ^_^

On 5/9/2022 at 5:44 AM, S-Man42 said:

Hi, 

I was wondering whether it is possible to make a simple Event a MegaEvent if there are enough "Attended" logs? 

I know, the guidelines say a Mega must be submitted at least several weeks beforehand. Therefore it could be difficult. 

But I am curious if there were already cases where it was done nonetheless? 

My specific thought is: Is it possible that an event near a Giga event location (may be something like a warm-up or breakfast event or whatever) suddenly attracts 500+ people and so may reach the Mega status? 

13 hours ago, S-Man42 said:

Don't know, but the discussion was about the number of possible types around the Giga in Prague last weekend ;)

I couldn't know that, you didn't mention Prague in your OP. Regardless, it is beyond likelihood there will ever be a Mega as a side event to a Giga.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:08 PM, K13 said:

I couldn't know that, you didn't mention Prague in your OP. Regardless, it is beyond likelihood there will ever be a Mega as a side event to a Giga.

The giga in Prague has been postponed several times. On the previous date (September 4th) there was a Mega planned in Stuttgart. I actually had plans to visit both on the same day, for a total of 16 types.