Found caches being deleted

How do I found out where or why a cache I had found and signed, got credit for, then deleted? I noticed just now my count is one less than it was. This has happened before but could never figure out what cache it was that got deleted. Sometimes it's a long time before I go from one caching day to the next, so I don't always remember which ones I did. This time I do know which one was removed but I want to know why. I could message the owner of the cache but want to check in here first. Thanks for any help.

• Funny 1

If a cache owner deleted your log on their cache, you should have received an email notification about the log deletion.  There is no functionality to make it easy for the cache owner to tell you why the log was deleted.  You could contact the cache owner and ask for an explanation.

You can also send me a private forum message with the GC code for the cache.  I can look at your deleted log and let you know if there's an obvious reason, like posting spoiler information.

• Helpful 2

I was able to find three archived finds from you on these three caches:

• GC1P5QM
  • GC1YC2K
  • GC8TJCP

Your deleted log for GC1YC2K was replaced with another find log about 6 minutes after you posted the first one, so it is likely that you deleted that one yourself and relogged. Your log on GC8TJCP mentions that you could not reach it but hoped you could still get credit for finding it. It would appear that the CO didn't agree that that should count as a find and deleted it.

I can't see an obvious reason for why your log on GC1P5QM might have been deleted.

• Helpful 5
17 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

If you already found it and signed the log......

Moun10bike said the log was deleted because she claimed a find but couldn't reach the cache and had hoped the CO would let it count, but the CO didn't.  So now she's going back to reach the cache and sign the log.

At least that's what I'm assuming she's talking about :D

3 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Moun10bike said the log was deleted because she claimed a find but couldn't reach the cache and had hoped the CO would let it count, but the CO didn't.  So now she's going back to reach the cache and sign the log.

At least that's what I'm assuming she's talking about :D

I'm definitely not referring to that one! 😁

I'm talking about the one that he said he can't find an obvious reason why it was deleted. If I went back to re-find and re-sign a cache I would  take a photo of the log.

Edited by Max and 99

GC1P5QM I signed, logged, got credit and then taken away from me. I was going to go back and double check that I did sign it (thinking that's why I got the count taken away from me). I'm 99.9% sure I had signed it because I remember being surprised that the paper and cache was so dry. It had been sitting in water. It's possible I was in a dead zone and when I hit submit on my phone it didn't go through. But I do remember being at 155 found. :wacko: When logging in this past weekend it put me at 154. I figured it was this one. 

Sorry for all the confusion! :D The cache is not that far from me so I will check on it in the near future. 

The cache (GC8TJCP) I did spot that got taken away from me....I had not seen that cache type before. So I wasn't sure if it was one I had to message the owner and tell her what the hidden object was or what. It was 8 feet in the tree, and it was a spider toy of some sort. So I logged it and she took it away. Understandable. But I messaged her back asking if what I found was correct and explained how I was unsure of what I was supposed to do. Couldn't even respond with an answer.  :( But I digress!

Either way. Thanks for the comments and trying to help. 

Yeah, unfortunately this is how some community members are. In my few short months I've noticed that during spring its not always possible to sign a log book due to lack of maintenance after the winter and water logged logs. I've also noticed other things like container thefts between groups, caches placed on private property w/o permission, or on public land w/o a permit. There are very few community members in my area that follow rules. Its honestly really immature and exhausting especially seeing that many of these people are grown middle aged adults.

As a new comber is feels like summer camp. There's that one guy whose made it his game to ruin the game and its people like this that contribute to the shrinking community.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1