MISSING

mummyanddaddyp

11 minutes ago, mummyanddaddyp said:

HI  I HAVE A SPONGE BOB TRACKABLE THAT I RELEASED SOME ONE FOUND IT  AND SAYS ON SITE THEY PLACED IN A CHURCH MICRO

ANOTHER CACHER WENT TO FIND IT BUT IT WAS NOT THERE 

ANY IDEAS PLEASE 

How many days has it been? The help center recommends waiting a short time just in case they haven't logged it yet.

It's been a few weeks, and no one else has logged the geocache.

Someone needs to explain to those sad kids that TBs are often not in the cache when you go looking for them! They need to lower their expectations. I almost get the impression they expected to keep it.

You can mark the TB as missing and it won't show up in the cache inventory.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=8832018

On the trackable page, under the box on the right side, you'll see, 

Actions: 

and under it a drop box offers Mark Missing, Recalculate Distance, and Lock

Click Mark Missing. You'll have to confirm that action by  AGREE. That box will be under the title.

Mark Missing moves the TB out of the inventory of the cache where is it not into an "unknown location". Should anyone ever properly log it again, it will simply resume its travels from its last known location.

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, mummyanddaddyp said:

I HAVE A SPONGE BOB TRACKABLE THAT I RELEASED SOME ONE FOUND IT AND SAYS ON SITE THEY PLACED IN A CHURCH MICRO

ANOTHER CACHER WENT TO FIND IT BUT IT WAS NOT THERE 

ANY IDEAS PLEASE 

It's only around a month, so maybe I'd sit on it a while to see if someone's back from holiday, maybe finally spot it in-between the seats of the car, or found in a kids jewelry box (you'd be surprised what kids pick up while mom's signing the log) before marking it "missing".  Can't hurt...

You really have no clue who has it, so the idea is to hope someone comes up with it.

We've seen many gone earlier, not that it helps... 

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

so maybe I'd sit on it a while to see if someone's back from holiday, maybe finally spot it in-between the seats of the car, or found in a kids jewelry box (you'd be surprised what kids pick up while mom's signing the log) before marking it "missing". 

Why wait? it's not in the cache where it shows in inventory. There's no benefit of any kind to leaving it there. just mark it missing.  If anyone ever does log it, nothing changes from their perspective, it just picks up from "unknown" to whatever they do when they log. it. Really.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:30 AM, Isonzo Karst said:

Why wait? it's not in the cache where it shows in inventory. There's no benefit of any kind to leaving it there. just mark it missing.  If anyone ever does log it, nothing changes from their perspective, it just picks up from "unknown" to whatever they do when they log. it. Really.

thanks

On 5/8/2022 at 12:30 AM, Isonzo Karst said:

just seems a pity it hasnt gone far 

• Upvote 1
On 5/7/2022 at 8:37 PM, cerberus1 said:

It's only around a month, so maybe I'd sit on it a while to see if someone's back from holiday, maybe finally spot it in-between the seats of the car, or found in a kids jewelry box (you'd be surprised what kids pick up while mom's signing the log) before marking it "missing".  Can't hurt...

You really have no clue who has it, so the idea is to hope someone comes up with it.

We've seen many gone earlier, not that it helps... 

thanks

• Love 1
On 5/12/2022 at 3:17 AM, mummyanddaddyp said:

just seems a pity it hasnt gone far 

That happens.... I haven't done a 'stocktake' on ours for a while, but by the silence on the notification front, I'm expecting a handful more to be MIA.....

I've had some go missing. I then suddenly started getting notices of people finding it.  Sent an email to one of them and they said they didn't actually see the coin but were at a gathering where people were sharing the tracking codes of coins so others could 'find' them. Locked the coins and have never sent any more out. Might at some point.