Is there a thief among us??? Two of my Geocaches go missing at same time!

Couparangus

I had 2 caches stolen. Everything was gone. One of them was some sort of manekin that I had made as a creature. They draged it away and the cache too. The other was my son's first cache it too disapered. I think this might of been isolated incident. I guess i'll really have to camouflage my next caches even if these where well hidden.

742_900.jpg

Hey! We were with 300mag when he discovered the cache missing........After all the time we spend making up caches it just feels really hurtful when people do this! Hey! It was a great area that the cache was in and the company even better icon_smile.gif

We had a cache stolen. The first one we had ever placed and at the time we only had one other out. A newby posted this log that gave me the willys......he said that he placed a treasure box in the cache and that the only way you could find out what was inside was by finding the cache....Man I envisioned all kind of herendous things.....So fearless went out immediately and the box was gone......The kids flet really mad as we had jointly decided where to put it....Sweety wanted to call the cops.......

To make a long story short. Fearless and eversure walked the route again last night (we have placed another cache further down the trail) and suprisingly they found the box in the exact spot where we had left it. And the treasure box had.............pennies and a note for kids under age 8 to get pennys and over to put them in....but man was it hard to open that box icon_eek.gif

DxChallenged

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Hi all, the missing caches are:

"Hey I like your stile" #8204

"The Dingle" #1447

I replaced #8204 to a different location but I thought it was well hidden to begin with and far enough from the beaten track to avoid serendipitous discovery by non-GeoCaching types. Let's hope that it stays put this time.

For #8204 I think I'm going to wait a while before re-stashing. This one, although well hidden in the summer, can be viewed from a seldom used trail and may have attracted the wrong kind of people.

My Grandaddy used to always say, "There are two types of people in the world - Geocachers and non-Geocachers".

Okay, maybe he didn't actually say that......

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

icon_rolleyes.gif

Howdy! Are you thinking that the "The Dingle" cache was too out in the open in the summer or are you referring to Barney's Revenge?

I actually try to make my caches easy to find, but far enough off the beaten track so they won't be discovered by accident, yet not so far you end up with cuts and bruises to get at them. I really try to choose places that are great hikes where finding the cache container is secondary to the location. With this in mind, I try and post a starting point that will take the cacher through an interesting and/or challenging area assuming they won't necessarily give into the temptation to bee-line to the cache container. Maybe I put too much thought into where I stash them!

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

I had 2 caches stolen. Everything was gone. One of them was some sort of manekin that I had made as a creature. They draged it away and the cache too.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/742_900.jpg

I still say the guy who escaped from the nearby detention center around the same time took your cache and cache dude.

It sucks though, that was a great cache. I think winter footie prints sometimes invite non-geocachers who don't bother to read the note or just don't care.

Gotta hate those geo-trashers.

Tks for the comments. I also liked the cache. It seems other cachers like it too.It was very popular. Next time i'll put them in a more remote area so no one will stumble on it.I might replace the creature by another one. But not at the same location.

Maybe the guy in the detention ctr replaced himself with the creature lol.

742_900.jpg

Praise to you Coupar-Angus. We need more cache stashers like you who put care and consideration in making a cache placement a work of art, beauty and a memorable outdoor experience. Too often I have lamentably visited caches that are near run-down houses, in ugly suburban lots, sitting in a pathetically viewless area, and placed where heavy traffic makes it almost impossible to open the cache without someone suspiciously eyeballing you prowling in an area with a mysterious metal box. No one wants to feel like they are perceived as a lurking criminal, pervert, or worse.

In response to stolen caches: Two have been absconded from me, so I have been highly satisfied in placing virtuals with a great view and some historical value that I share. How can you beat a no-maintenance, theft/vandalism-proof cache? icon_smile.gif

David Berne

Hey Tahoe,

Thanks for the praise. I stay away from the urban caches in large part due to the kind of disappointment you cite. I've re-hidden both my stolen caches in slightly different places and have had no problems since. I just hid two more yesterday that are close to my home - this makes for easy maintenance. I have a couple of virtual caches overseas that I visit once a year - easy to maintain these ones for sure. Haha! I think we should have a points system where people who find the cache can rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. This way itinerant cachers can select the best ones to check out while travelling through. I bet this wouldn't be hard to add to the site. Hmmm....anyone got a line to the power-that-be here?

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Coupar-Angus- I think this is a great idea. As long as it wouldn't cause offence to the cache placers. (nothing worse than people telling you your project is a zero!) However, ranking is difficult. Is it great due to contents? Location? Ease of locating? An experienced cacher might have a different value system than a newbie like me. Hey, if there's chocolate in it, and it's easy to find, it gets a gold star!! My two cents. icon_smile.gif