Mapsend Canada Questions / Concerns

Merasheen

I have been using the Mapsend St and Dest. Canada for a while it is copy righted 2002. Is there anywhere to update the data or is this the newest infomation ?

Is it possible to just put in a place name and for it to be found. I find that this cannot be done . even when you try to locate a place provincally . you seen to need an address to locate a town or village. If anyone knows how to just put in the town name ahd get its location could you let me know.

I haven't seen any updates available (mine is 4.10k)

I hadn't noticed the finding cities option being missing but you're right - it will find big cities at the World or Canada level but not at the Province level. The only workaround I've found is that when using Search by address, select a province, select a city from the drop down box and then the only required field is Street and it only needs the first letter of street. So you have to guess the first letter of any street in that town to have it go to the city. Usually easy but some towns with not many streets may take a few tries. I haven't yet found a wild card that works.

There are some "cities" that show at the Canada level but don't have any streets so disappear at the province level. Rainbow Lake AB and Uranium City SK are two I noticed.

BTW there is a very comprehensive Canadian geoname database at http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/ where you can let the latitude and longitude of pretty well anywhere in Canada that has a name.

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass

While this may work for the Mapsend product, is there anyway to do this using the maps in the GPS itself? It does seem a little silly that you MUSt enter a street name in order to scroll through a LONG list of towns in order to fnid the one that your looking for. And another thing. Why can't it find the town namesd using Closest to? If I chose this method, it may fond only a handful of towns, but if I search by address it will find them all. I wonder if the Magellan guys are erading this and might consider expanding the Closest to feature no the GPS?