Every Premium Member can now create an Adventure.

Max and 99

3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

It seems a bit odd that, as part of the Year of the Hide, we're encouraged to refresh the game board by archiving older less popular caches and replacing them with new, yet with ALs the credit is lost forever even if its AL becomes unplayable due to changes in the environment.

5 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

It appears that you created two versions of your Pueblo City Park Adventure. You archived the first on the day it was created, then created the second one (which you published) a week later.

You are using the word "archived" as though it is the same process as archiving a geocache; however after reading further in the forum, I understand that there is no "archiving" an AL--which would preserve the records of all those who had completed the AL, but there is only "deleting" which also deletes the records of all those who had completed it.  (In my case I deleted it before I had actually finished it, so there were no other records to mess up, but nevertheless, I did not archive it, I deleted it.). Unintentionally and unknowingly.  I had no idea that I couldn't delete what I had started and start over.  A warning of the drastic results of deletion would have been nice.  Like "Are you sure you want to delete this AL?  If you do , it will be gone forever and you won't be able to recreate it". 

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

with ALs the credit is lost forever even if its AL becomes unplayable due to changes in the environment

If you could archive an AL and get the credit back, that would be abused.

45 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

there is only "deleting" which also deletes the records of all those who had completed it.

I believe that "deleting" an Adventure only permanently hides it from view (Moun10Bike was able to find it in the database); like a cache that gets published and is later retracted by the Reviewer. Finders should still keep their smileys (I've found Adventures that have later been deleted.)

44 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

You are using the word "archived" as though it is the same process as archiving a geocache; however after reading further in the forum, I understand that there is no "archiving" an AL--which would preserve the records of all those who had completed the AL, but there is only "deleting" which also deletes the records of all those who had completed it.  (In my case I deleted it before I had actually finished it, so there were no other records to mess up, but nevertheless, I did not archive it, I deleted it.). Unintentionally and unknowingly.  I had no idea that I couldn't delete what I had started and start over.  A warning of the drastic results of deletion would have been nice.  Like "Are you sure you want to delete this AL?  If you do , it will be gone forever and you won't be able to recreate it". 

When the Delete button is clicked, there is a warning message that reads "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this Adventure? This action cannot be undone. Deleting this Adventure will not give you a credit to build a new Adventure." An Adventure is only deleted if the user confirms by selecting the red button that reads "Permanently delete".

If you did not receive this warning before you deleted your Adventure, please contact us through our Help Center to let us know.

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your patience as we continue to grow and fine-tune Adventure Lab.

2022-08-26 16_09_45-Adventure details_ test #9000.png

14 minutes ago, Hügh said:

If you could archive an AL and get the credit back, that would be abused.

I'm not sure why it would be abused any more than archiving a regular cache and creating a new one in it's place, something we're now told we should be doing to keep the game fresh. Most ALs probably have a limited lifespan as the signposting on which they're based gets removed and changed. Public spaces are often regularly redeveloped, for example the Peninsula Recreation Precinct here, which was opened in 2010, is about to be bulldozed and turned into a skateboarding theme park. I had a multi set there, based around the activity signposts, but archived it recently when several of the signs had faded into invisibility or had been graffitied over. If the new facility, when finished, is amenable to it, I might in due course create a new cache there, but had it been an AL instead of a multi, that credit would have been lost forever.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Hügh said:

I believe that "deleting" an Adventure only permanently hides it from view (Moun10Bike was able to find it in the database); like a cache that gets published and is later retracted by the Reviewer. Finders should still keep their smileys (I've found Adventures that have later been deleted.)

That’s good to know, but there are statements to the contrary here in the forum.  Who really knows?

1 hour ago, ari54321 said:

When the Delete button is clicked, there is a warning message that reads "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this Adventure? This action cannot be undone. Deleting this Adventure will not give you a credit to build a new Adventure." An Adventure is only deleted if the user confirms by selecting the red button that reads "Permanently delete".

If you did not receive this warning before you deleted your Adventure, please contact us through our Help Center to let us know.

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your patience as we continue to grow and fine-tune Adventure Lab.

2022-08-26 16_09_45-Adventure details_ test #9000.png

Good to know that there is such a warning.  I couldn’t swear in court that I didn’t receive the warning, but I sure don’t remember seeing it.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm not sure why it would be abused any more than archiving a regular cache.

Create an Adventure. Position all five stages at your front door, or, somewhere nearby and with a large geofence radius.

Since you can complete it, complete it. Gain five finds.

Then, delete/archive it. In the process, get the credit back.

Repeat.

I reckon that with some fast clicking I could gain five finds every minute, essentially forever (ie. until HQ bans me.)

Regular caches can't be exploited in the same way, because of the fact that you can't claim finds on your own caches (and even if you use a sock-puppet, your Reviewer will notice pretty quickly.)

Edited by Hügh
2 minutes ago, Hügh said:

Create an Adventure. Position all five stages at your front door, or, somewhere nearby and with a large geofence radius.

Then, archive it. In the process, get the credit back.

Repeat.

The only reason it can't be abused with regular caches is that you'd can't claim a find on your own geocache.

In that case, the obvious fix is to correct the bug that allows you to claim finds on your own AL. That's assuming, of course that it is a bug (or oversight) and not an intended feature.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

In that case, the obvious fix is to correct the bug that allows you to claim finds on your own AL. That's assuming, of course that it is a bug (or oversight) and not an intended feature.

Adventures have been around since, what, 2013? The app was released in 2018. This seems like such an easy change to make so my bets are on it being an intended feature. 

Edited by Hügh
46 minutes ago, Hügh said:

Adventures have been around since, what, 2013? The app was released in 2018. This seems like such an easy change to make so my bets are on it being an intended feature. 

Regular caches have been around since 2000 but it was only in 2017 that logging a find on your own cache was actually blocked. Before then it was just discouraged.

9 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Regular caches have been around since 2000 but it was only in 2017 that logging a find on your own cache was actually blocked. Before then it was just discouraged.

Alright, alright, maybe it isn't intended.

Either way, let me add three words to my previous post:

1 hour ago, Hügh said:

Create an Adventure using a sockpuppet. Position all five stages at your front door, or, somewhere nearby and with a large geofence radius.

Then, delete/archive it. In the process, get the credit back.

Repeat.

I reckon that with some fast clicking I could gain five finds every minute, essentially forever (ie. until HQ bans me.)

6 hours ago, Hügh said:

Not exactly. The type called lab cache was presented to the public on August 17, 2013. This type of cache was intended to test new gameplay possibilities. The first thing tested were temporary physical megaevent caches.

There was also an activity called I <3 Geocaching, where each player with a premium membership could create one cache for one player. He could make the link to the listing available to many players, but only the fastest player could log the cache.

The first 250 players were selected to create their first Adventures in February 2019.

• Upvote 1