Every Premium Member can now create an Adventure.

Max and 99

Your Adventure credit is waiting!

Every Premium member can now create an Adventure. This means your Geocaching account has a credit available to create an Adventure with up to five Locations. Now you can add to the growing number of memorable and fun experiences created by people just like you.

(from today's newsletter)

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, rustynails. said:

So, every premium member has 1 credit if they want it or not? Or must one be requested ? That's a lot of new labs if most people create one more.

I wondered about that too, but my credit count did not increase. I don't know if I would have gotten one if I didn't currently have a credit. Or is it only all PM who haven't yet gotten a credit now have one?

52 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I wondered about that too, but my credit count did not increase. I don't know if I would have gotten one if I didn't currently have a credit. Or is it only all PM who haven't yet gotten a credit now have one?

Your account should have a credit. I received the same email you posted and now have one credit.

4 hours ago, IsThisMajorTom said:

With so many now having the possibility to create new labs, I wonder if this means there will be more dedication to developing the app. It seems still very basic and not much user friendly. 

I hope so. 

I really hope so. I would love to have the option to see all available points from different Labs on one map. Now, in places where multiple Labs cross you have to keep switching between them... 

• Helpful 3
On 5/3/2022 at 7:28 PM, Corp Of Discovery said:

When I go there it doesn't go past the login screen.

Are 2 lab cache 'finds' still needed? I've only ever done the free one that was handed out many years ago as a one 'n' done...

I had the same problem with it always coming back to the login screen on https://labs.geocaching.com/builder/adventures. After driving around the site for a bit, I found this page: https://www.geocaching.com/play/request/adventurelab. That's where you Opt-in to the offer, and they'll notify you in a few months if you qualify and then you get the credit. Then the original link will probably work as intended.

Updated May 10: they fixed the bug causing what I experienced above. The https://labs.geocaching.com/builder/adventures link now takes me to a page that shows my credit.

@Corp Of Discovery, yes you may still need to qualify in other ways. But for anyone that was stuck on the login screen before, give it a try now.

Edited by bunnyberm
27 minutes ago, bunnyberm said:

I had the same problem with it always coming back to the login screen on https://labs.geocaching.com/builder/adventures. After driving around the site for a bit, I found this page: https://www.geocaching.com/play/request/adventurelab. That's where you Opt-in to the offer, and they'll notify you in a few months if you qualify and then you get the credit. Then the original link will probably work as intended.

Nope- that says I'm not qualified...probably due to only having 1 lab find. I wish someone from HQ could clarify things...

• Funny 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:28 PM, Corp Of Discovery said:

When I go there it doesn't go past the login screen.

Are 2 lab cache 'finds' still needed? I've only ever done the free one that was handed out many years ago as a one 'n' done...

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. We will look into it.

• Upvote 1
On April 6th I received an email from HQ..."Congratulations! You have been chosen by Geocaching HQ to create another Adventure.......because you met the latest deadline to create your Adventure."

So on May 3rd after reading The Logbook, I though I would get another credit.....wrong!

I contacted HQ via Help Center and received a reply from a Community Coordinator:
"On May 2, 2022, we made sure that every Premium member had a credit for a five Location Adventure. If a creator had an unused credit on their account, we did not grant an additional credit."

IMHO, this does not seem fair. All Premium members should have received a credit whether they already had a credit or not.
  • Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, hostanut said:
On April 6th I received an email from HQ..."Congratulations! You have been chosen by Geocaching HQ to create another Adventure.......because you met the latest deadline to create your Adventure."

So on May 3rd after reading The Logbook, I though I would get another credit.....wrong!

I contacted HQ via Help Center and received a reply from a Community Coordinator:
"On May 2, 2022, we made sure that every Premium member had a credit for a five Location Adventure. If a creator had an unused credit on their account, we did not grant an additional credit."

IMHO, this does not seem fair. All Premium members should have received a credit whether they already had a credit or not.

I'm in the same boat. I received one in April, which I haven't been able to use yet as my favoured location for it is currently closed due to damage from the severe weather we've been having, so I didn't get one in the May release. Yet I've been seeing reports on FB from others elsewhere who already had multiple unused credits who got another one in the May release.

I'm not particularly bothered personally as finding suitable locations for ALs is becoming difficult, given all the limitations of the platform, but it doesn't seem fair on the community that they've missed out on seeing some from the May release because the weather has delayed some of the April release from going live.

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, werla said:

Same here. Can't log in there. 

Reported on the 3rd, acknowledged on the 5th, still not fixed on the 8th. Perhaps it would have been a good idea to have got the software right before sending the emails.

• Funny 1

While I couldn't care less :rolleyes: I'm also been redirected after loging in to the login sceen again but I am logged in (as my avatar is visible on the top right) and at the bottom down arrow I can view my finds and can log out.

Is there any thing else I should expect at that page?

Edited by Hynz
typo
9 minutes ago, Hynz said:

While I couldn't care less :rolleyes: I'm also been redirected after loging in to the login sceen again but I am logged in (as my avatar is visible on the top right) and at the bottom down arrow I can view my finds and can log out.

Is there any thing else I should expect at that page?

I also get an option My Adventures in that dropdown list which takes me into the Builder:

image.png.94dfe31a15093372e75e4f3fea917d38.png

I have one AL started the I was planning to finish today.  But when I go to Adventure Lab> Profile>My Adventures>Go to builder>Open the Adventure builder in your mobile browser>Open>it just goes back to My Adventures>Go to builder>and all I can do is go back and forth between those two screens.  I have logged out and back in.  Do I need to delete and reload the app?  (App version 1.3.32; build 2995) Or what?  

17 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

I have one AL started the I was planning to finish today.  But when I go to Adventure Lab> Profile>My Adventures>Go to builder>Open the Adventure builder in your mobile browser>Open>it just goes back to My Adventures>Go to builder>and all I can do is go back and forth between those two screens.  I have logged out and back in.  Do I need to delete and reload the app?  (App version 1.3.32; build 2995) Or what?  

What happens when you go directly to https://labs.geocaching.com/builder/adventures in your browser without going through the app?

26 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Here's what I see:

And then it opens perfectly.

Screenshot_20220615-121257.png

It doesn't for me.  All I get is "My Adventures.  0 Available credits.  You have Adventure(s) that are set to Off.  Go to the Adventure builder to edit them.  Go to builder."

31 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Playing with this some more, on three devices--cell phone, tablet and computer--it looks like I can do all the write-ups on the computer or tablet and only really need to use the cell phone on site to get the coordinates and photos. Right??

Right.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, Max and 99 said:

Right.

Thanks for your help.  It has been so beastly hot here, and there's no shade to walk in, that it took me a while to want to get back out there.  The Adventure is now up and running, waiting for the first finder.  :smile:

55 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Thanks for your help.  It has been so beastly hot here, and there's no shade to walk in, that it took me a while to want to get back out there.  The Adventure is now up and running, waiting for the first finder.  :smile:

Whoa! That's a super big mural!

I got a fourth credit back in early April but have yet to be able to find a suitable place to deploy it that ticks all my boxes, as the nicest places around here where an AL would be beneficial over a regular cache tend to be those with little or no phone coverage and trails that aren't shown on the AL app's map. Maybe if I wait until after the 20th of August I won't get any more to have to bother with.

• Helpful 1
16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I heard a rumor.....

That if you use your adventure lab credit by August 20th you'll be rewarded a new one? I did not get any such notification. Has anyone else received this info? 

Indeed, we will distribute additional credits after August 20th to creators who have created a public Adventure and have no available credits or Adventures turned “off” or “private”.

We keep the Who can create an Adventure Help Center article updated with the latest information on additional credits.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
18 hours ago, ari54321 said:

Indeed, we will distribute additional credits after August 20th to creators who have created a public Adventure and have no available credits or Adventures turned “off” or “private”.

We keep the Who can create an Adventure Help Center article updated with the latest information on additional credits.

I'm glad new credits will be distributed, but I think the additional requirement (marked in bold) is a very bad idea as long as it's not possible to archive an Adventure.

Sometimes it is necessary to archive an Adventure. The world is constantly changing.  Some locations disappear, others are no longer accessible. In that respect, lab caches are no different from traditional caches. However, the above rule ignores that fact.

Nowadays people have two options when they want to 'archive' an Adventure. The first option is to turn "off" the Adventure. In my view, that is by far the best and least disruptive option. However, in that case, those people will not be awarded additional credits.

The second option is to edit the Adventure significantly and to create a completely new experience. In my opinion, this option is absolutely to be avoided. The new Adventure will be marked as "completed" for geocachers who have played the Adventure before the significant changes, even though it was a completely different one.

Requirements like the above just encourage this second option, so please review the selection process for additional credits.

(By the way, sorry if I made any mistakes in the above text, but English is not my native language.)

• Upvote 5

I received the following:

Hello NanCycle,

Congratulations!

Because you have created a public Adventure, Geocaching HQ is giving you the opportunity to create two additional Adventures for the global community.

We have selected geocachers from those who created one or more public Adventures and have no credits remaining. You were chosen as part of this process.

What does this mean? You have access to create two additional location-based Adventures, each with up to five Locations.

If you use both credits to create public Adventures by International Geocaching Day (August 20, 2022), you will have the chance to receive additional credits after August 20th!

In three easy steps, you can create and share your custom Adventure with the world!

1. Please read the Adventure Lab guidelines (Lese die Richtlinien auf Deutsch). Your Adventure must follow the guidelines, or it may risk deletion if problems are reported.
  2. Review the Adventure Lab Builder guide (Lese auf Deutsch/Lire en français). This provides step-by-step instructions. If you're looking for inspiration, check out this Adventure Lab tips article and Top 5 tips video.
  3. When you're ready to create your Adventure, log into the Adventure Lab builder with your Geocaching.com account.

Please note:

• Your Adventure Lab credit includes up to five Locations.
  • If you create an Adventure, it must be set to Public (not Private).
  • Your Adventures have no expiration date, although if there are issues they may be turned off at the discretion of Geocaching HQ.

By creating an Adventure, you are helping test and improve this platform for the future. Geocaching HQ intends to expand opportunities to explore by welcoming creators and players beyond the current geocaching community (learn more about our vision here). Adventurers, both existing geocachers and new players, are sharing that they are excited to see Adventure Lab explore more types of content, ideas, locations, and themes than have been traditionally supported in geocaching.

For example, we are seeing highly-rated Adventures in theme categories such as ‘Food & Drink’ and ‘Exercise’ and we are hearing parents share excitement about Adventures that are specifically created ‘For kids’ to enjoy. We encourage you to innovate by featuring compelling narratives and themes!

We have recently added the following features:

• Themes: Adventure creators can choose from 31 themes to add to their Adventure to help create and share compelling stories. Players can use themes to find Adventures that interest them.
  • Filters: players can filter in the app for new Adventures, completion status, estimated time, Adventure type (sequential or nonsequential), and themes.
  • Time Estimate: an estimated time to complete an Adventure is calculated automatically and displayed to players once an Adventure has at least five completions.

For more information and ideas about creating an Adventure, please visit our online Help Center and Geocaching.com forums.

Congratulations, and have fun creating!

Best regards,

Geocaching HQ

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I got this notice on my app today, and logged into the builder to see 0 credits. 👎

Screenshot_20220811-094941.png

It appears you were among a small number of creators who received the notification even though you don't have a current credit. We apologize for the disappointment!

Luckily, since you have now used all your credits to create public Adventures and have no available credits or Adventures turned “off” or “private”, you will have the chance to receive additional credits after August 20th! For more details, see the Who can create an Adventure Help Center article.

• Funny 1
On 8/21/2022 at 11:14 AM, Gill & Tony said:

I've just realized that this means I have a 5th adventure.  I'm running out of ideas!

Goodness knows what I would do with a 6th!

There is always the option not to use the credit ;) .

My home area gets its fair share of Adventure Labs, which look as if they have only been created because the CO had an unused credit but no good idea what to do with it.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2022 at 10:05 AM, NanCycle said:

I received the following:

Hello NanCycle,

Congratulations!

Because you have created a public Adventure, Geocaching HQ is giving you the opportunity to create two additional Adventures for the global community.

We have selected geocachers from those who created one or more public Adventures and have no credits remaining. You were chosen as part of this process.

What does this mean? You have access to create two additional location-based Adventures, each with up to five Locations.

If you use both credits to create public Adventures by International Geocaching Day (August 20, 2022), you will have the chance to receive additional credits after August 20th!

. . . .

Best regards,

Geocaching HQ

I have created one new Adventure and now have no credits.  Since when does 2 - 1 = 0 ?

• Funny 1
On 8/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, NanCycle said:

I have created one new Adventure and now have no credits.  Since when does 2 - 1 = 0 ?

It appears that you created two versions of your Pueblo City Park Adventure. You archived the first on the day it was created, then created the second one (which you published) a week later.

30 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

It appears that you created two versions of your Pueblo City Park Adventure. You archived the first on the day it was created, then created the second one (which you published) a week later.

Well. so there's the answer.  I didn't know I did that; I didn't know it was even possible to archive an Adventure--I do remember reading here in the forum that it was not.  I wonder if I'm the. only person who finds the AL Builder confusing and hard to work with.