(Western) Canada retailer of ammo boxes?

ChiefPig

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

Thanks guys. I'll give the local princess auto a call tomorrow.

So is $10+ really the going price here in Canada? I heard you can get ammo boxes for less than $5 in the states.

Supply and demand. Given the cultural differences there's probably a much bigger supply of them in the US. icon_cool.gif

Gorak

Money change.

$5 US worked out to $8 Cdn a couple of months ago. As the company probably had to ship them in, they added $2 shipping + handling.

I got mine at Surplus Herbie's like Eroyd said, but I keep my ammo in a safe. The kids can open an ammo box. I use it to keep paint cans/camp stove fuel bottles from rolling around in the back of the truck. Oh, and if needed, the stuff can come out and they have been painted to be cache containers. But, my planned locations got hit by forest fire last time I was on holidays.

quote:

One more question, do you guys think ammo cans are more likely to get stolen compared to the plastic tupperware alternatives?

I have two of my six caches in ammo cans and so far no problems. However, the ammo cans are in caches that require a bit of a climb to get to them which tends to limit visits to the more hardcore cachers. icon_biggrin.gif

PDOP's GPS Pages

Well, the local Princess auto did not have any in stock icon_frown.gif

Here's a follow up question:

Do you think non-caching Canadians would be threatened when they find an unattended military hardware, in this case an ammo box, out in the wild? I am just worried that somebody would call the cops the first time a non-cacher accidentially finds my cache icon_confused.gif

I think that would depend on how it is marked. Most Canadians without military training wouldn't know what it was, and wouldn't be any more threatened by an ammo box than any other cache container, unless it still has the ammunition labelling in plain view. Even those who know what it is are less likely to call the police if the original labelling has clearly been replaced by a geocache label.

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

quote:

Do you think non-caching Canadians would be threatened when they find an unattended military hardware, in this case an ammo box, out in the wild? I am just worried that somebody would call the cops the first time a non-cacher accidentially finds my cache

ChiefPig - I notice that you are from the Edmonton area. I am aware of at least two caches around here that are in ammo boxes:

Duck House

Bearfoot-1

Both these caches have been out there for over a year with no difficulty. I would tend not to place one in an urban area, or near any significant structures (bridges, etc.) however.

Chief Pig

Keep checking back at Princess Auto. They had a half dozen of the larger boxes for $12.99 when I was there 10 days ago. I have talked to their sales staff in the past and was told that the boxes go fast and that the store doesn't get them on a regular basis.

If you're desperate the miltary surplus store in WEM has them for $18. As you would expect in the mall these are better looking with a fresh coat of paint on them icon_wink.gif

PDOP's GPS Pages