Muggle signing logs

2 hours ago, Memere2009 said:

What do you do when you are aware of someone who is clearly signing logs because they know a little about geocaching but refuse to be a member?

I have a Rt. 66 cache next to a very popular stop and I'm guessing 80% of the signatures are from people who never log online. I have to remember to change the log way sooner than the online logs would indicate. 

edit: I don't think someone who finds geocaches and signs the log can still be considered a muggle. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2

If they leave the cache 'in tact' for the next cacher, leave things be.

I was working in an area where there was a cache, and took a chance to look for it while close.

Saw a couple close to where it could be, saw them approach, look at where the cache was and then leave, so left them to it.

On the way back I looked for it myself and found it. Signed the log. They hadn't signed the log, but I saw them see the cache, and they have never logged it online.

Some people play the game that way...

Edited by Bear and Ragged
  • Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

If they leave the cache 'in tact' for the next cacher, leave things be.

Exactly what I was going to add....

If you want less signatures, you need to hide it better, or make it a puzzle/multi to get less cacher visits....

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Memere2009 said:

What do you do when you are aware of someone who is clearly signing logs because they know a little about geocaching but refuse to be a member?

I sometimes find signatures in my logbooks that don't match any online logs. They may be cachers who simply don't log online or muggles who stumbled across the cache, thought this is cool and signed the logbook. For the latter, a stash note is probably a good idea if the cache is big enough for one, so if they want to find out more about the game they can. In either case, why is this a problem that needs addressing? As far as I know, cache locations on the website can't be seen on either maps or cache pages unless logged in, so your muggle logger is either someone with an account, was with someone who has one or just stumbled across the cache by chance.

The weirdest muggle log I've seen is one that said "I thought this was a bomb so I opened it." A Darwin award candidate?

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Funny 7
5 hours ago, Memere2009 said:

What do you do when you are aware of someone who is clearly signing logs because they know a little about geocaching but refuse to be a member haven't signed up for a geocaching.com account yet?

Generally, I've let them know that if they ever create an account on the geocaching.com site, then I can provide them with a list of caches they've found with me, and the dates we found them, so they can log all their finds.

This hasn't been an unusual thing for me. When I introduce new people to geocaching, I usually present the basics of geocaching to them, and then let them find caches (either temporary caches that I've placed for the class, or actual caches along our hiking trail). I never encourage them to create a geocaching.com account first.

6 hours ago, Memere2009 said:

What do I do?  Literally, nothing.  I'd rather have signatures on a logsheet with no corresponding online log than the other way around, online logs but no signatures on the logsheet.  I've cached with "muggles" - friends, cousins, etc, that had no account, but I encouraged them to sign some thing anyway, just in case they decided someday to  get an acocunt, and wanted to back log those found with me.  Yes, I do drag muggles along on my geocaching excursions now and then!!

It may not be that they "refuse" to set up an online account ("be a member", in your words), they just don't want to go public yet, or feel obligated to have to log on line.  I know some who DO have an account, yet still don't log everything they do.  I don't see a problem with that at all.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Memere2009 said:

There are a lot of those on a couple of my very easy caches lately.  At least some finders seem to have just noticed the container, and signed the log.  They seem to understand that the idea is to trade an item, sign the log, and put the box back in its hiding spot, which is all I'd ask.  These tend to be my Small or Micro caches without room for more than a name, so there's not much text because they don't log online.  But I don't do anything about it.  They actually may not be all that interested, they just happened to find the thing.

I have written to a cacher who found one of my trickier hides and signed the paper log but failed to log it online.  I invited them to log it (in case they overlooked that one).  But there was no reponse, and I haven't done that kind of thing since.  I don't want to press the issue in case they didn't like my cache, and they'd just prefer to forget the whole thing. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
22 hours ago, Memere2009 said:

You noticing this on someone else's caches?  How do you know they're not a "member"?  Thanks...   :)

We used to have a lot of members near us who've never logged online, if that's how you're noticing.

They were our favorite finders on our ammo can caches because they'd leave lengthy logs, poems, and draw pictures. 

That was when "locations" were a thing, and they'd often stop at a cache over lunch.

Now that there's caches placed every .1 apart just because you can, those folks have kinda died out here.

If "someone" is signing logs and aren't damaging or stealing caches, that's more than some premium members in a few areas we've been...

• Helpful 1

Many years ago I found a GRIM that was at a popular fishing spot. Several muggle signatures. People signing their real names are usually muggles.

More often the muggle finds tend to be easy finds poorly concealed along a trail (including really obvious geotrails that attract the curious wondering "Where does this go?").

As far as people who find geocaches deliberately but don't log online: it's probably an impossible number to accurately estimate but I suspect it's not an insignificant number. They have an account to be able to find where the geocaches are located (even the 100% app users need an account even if they never verify their email), but either they are very concerned about privacy or just don't care about logging. I knew of at least one Florida geocacher that had thousands of finds but never got an account because he only geocaches with his spouse.

On a tangent, I've seen one cache where the log book was a visitor log. The cache was at an informational gazebo (in the middle of nowhere, but on the Oregon Trail). The cache is a box on a post, marked 'Register Here', with the log sheet inside. Open and in plain view. Amazingly, given how out of the way this place was, when I logged the cache, it was seeing 3 to 4 people sign the log everyday. Based on on-line logs, geocachers log this cache about once every 2 to 3 months.

Back to the OP, so long as the cache remains in place, and in good shape, it doesn't matter who signs the logs. I have a relative that geocaches, signs logs, and never logs online. 

Oh, and this cache might be listed on multiple sites. Or, and I don't know if this is still a thing, the geocache might have been pre-loaded on a GPSr.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:27 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

Many years ago I found a GRIM that was at a popular fishing spot. Several muggle signatures. People signing their real names are usually muggles.

More often the muggle finds tend to be easy finds poorly concealed along a trail (including really obvious geotrails that attract the curious wondering "Where does this go?").

As far as people who find geocaches deliberately but don't log online: it's probably an impossible number to accurately estimate but I suspect it's not an insignificant number. They have an account to be able to find where the geocaches are located (even the 100% app users need an account even if they never verify their email), but either they are very concerned about privacy or just don't care about logging. I knew of at least one Florida geocacher that had thousands of finds but never got an account because he only geocaches with his spouse.

There's one guy in my area that dont sign any logs... online or paper.  He happen to be a well known business man in my area. He told me it's a privacy reason of not signing any logs. He kept a personal notebook to keep track of all the caches he found. Its in the 1000's!  I asked him for a few hints on caches I had difficult and he gave me some tips.  He told me not to tell anyone who he's. 

8 hours ago, SwineFlew said:

There's one guy in my area that dont sign any logs... online or paper.  He happen to be a well known business man in my area. He told me it's a privacy reason of not signing any logs. He kept a personal notebook to keep track of all the caches he found. Its in the 1000's!  I asked him for a few hints on caches I had difficult and he gave me some tips.  He told me not to tell anyone who he's. 

I knew someone who signed the physical logs, but never logged online. In his case, online logging didn't exist when he started geocaching, and he saw no reason to start.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
On 5/2/2022 at 4:25 PM, barefootjeff said:

I sometimes find signatures in my logbooks that don't match any online logs.

LOL! I did not think I had found any of your caches.  Seriously though, I would probably have about 50 more finds if I had not forgotten to log so many of my finds on the site.  In the recent few years, with my current GPSr, I have been better about field notes/drafts so that has not been an issue. I do keep an offline database of caches on my phone for the few times when I don't have the GPSr with me.  Those are easy to forget to log.   But in the past, I would sometimes miss logging some finds for one reason or another.  Mostly just carelessness or forgetfulness.  I also remember collecting and replacing the logs on one of my owned caches many years ago.  Just for fun I compared the logbook to the website and there were a few logbook finds that did not make it onto the website.  So I guess I am not the only careless/forgetful person.  I met someone years ago at an event who found and logged caches but never wrote a log entry on the site.  Not sure why, but that is how he played the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
On 5/25/2022 at 1:18 AM, HeyBonBonGoGetEm said:

I plan on hiding a cache in a popular area, and am afraid of muggles finding it due to there being some really rude and disruptive people in our area. Any tips to make sure muggles don't destroy my cache?

Making it a multi or puzzle will reduce cacher visits, and expose it to muggles' gaze less often.... hiding it better can backfire, as cachers will spend longer looking for it, and be more suspicious.....

• Helpful 1

I have a terrain 4 cache that's in a pretty remote spot, with a 3km hike along a bushland track then a scramble through scrub from the trail to the vicinity of GZ amongst huge boulders and a descent through a crevice and into a low cave under the rock to reach the cache.

Composite.jpg.1111b6648f819a6a29e3d7f48cf9a54d.jpg

On the cache page, in describing the challenging route to the cache, I'd actually said, "But look on the bright side; this cache is unlikely to be muggled". I was therefore astounded when a recent finder said that the cache had been sitting exposed on the outside of the cave and there was an entry from a muggle in the logbook:

MuggleLog.jpg.5eedac08279100b8d7eb9ebf162d9c31.jpg

Really, nowhere is safe from muggles!

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Look on the bright side - he didn't just take it and leave you wondering.  He actually signed the logbook, even wrote a few sentences!, dated it, and left everything intact, even if exposed and not where he found it.  Although it might have been where he found it after the last cacher (or critter) finished with it.

• Upvote 2
On 6/29/2022 at 1:08 AM, barefootjeff said:

I have a fairly difficult D4 mystery with final away from path. I was bit surprised to get few logs from, apparently, children. My traditionals tend to get regular muggle logs as well. But if they leave the container as they found it, I am more pleased than bothered.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
On 6/28/2022 at 7:08 PM, barefootjeff said:

:)   Most our game lands caches were hit some time or another by hunters.

Only one took an ammo can, and later when I met him at the tree stand, he thought druggies were hiding their stash there, and he put it back signed.

Many hunters signed logs, curious, after watching cachers accessing them under their feet with no clue someone was above them.   :laughing:

We started putting in hand warmers n stuff they might use/need and never had an issue.   

Game lands the largest property owner in our state, it belongs to hunters who let us play there...

Edited by cerberus1
  • Love 2