Stolen Cache

DirtRunner

Well, I went back to check on one of my caches tonight and found it gone.

I just don't know what to say other than $*#**@@*@@!!!. It just bugs me soooo much. It's just so stupid to feel this way but I can't help it.

I mean, there was a cache sticker on it. Who ever found it wouldn't be able to open it and must have carried it home to open it, and once they did that there's a notice in it telling what it is for. It was probable some of the local kids not caring, and to tell the truth, if I was 12 and found somthing like that, I probably would not have cared either. But I just feel so horrible.

The cache lasted a total of almost three weeks, it died so young. And to top it all off, there was somebody's elses travel bug in the cache so it also effected that person too. doh!

SO the question I am asking is...what do you do when one of your caches go missing. I'm I way off base feeling this way or is another cacher "rubbertoe" correct in saying the theft of a cache is it's natural and eventual death?

Help me out here, I am feeling sooooooo bummed.

Thanks

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

I feel for ya, brutha'! I lost two of my Geocaches earlier this year - within a short time frame too. One of them I think was found by accident and I decided to remove it from the Geocaching website. The other however, I'm convinced was found by GPS and removed. This one I relocated a short distance away and has been fine since.

Coupar-Angus

Can understand you being down about this mate but there is a bright side. First, for the few days that it was around, lots of cachers seemed to get a heap of fun from it and it was on a lot of our "to-do-lists" I know it was on mine, and that meant you did the right thing... you'd put a lot of thought and effort into it and the community appreciated that.

Some a****** ripped it off. Well, they will always be a prick and will always have to come to terms with doing something that's simply a dumb and selfish act. Sort of the antithesis of what this pastime is all about.

F*&$ 'em. Try to forget the bastard(s) and put something else out there soon.

Decodoppler

Two weeks ago. I'm ready to go out tomorrow with a new cache container. It's a bummer especially considering the time spent on the first cache tube, the airbrushing etc.. But the way I look at it now, it's a challenge to keep the thing in the general vicinity but hidden from the odd 12 year old that plays there from time to time. If this next one goes there will be one more all-out attempt at high-level concealment and then I'll probably just move the thing farther away.

28712_300.jpg

Yep, a stolen or destroyed cache is a bummer!!! I just found the empty container from one of my first caches, at least they left the logbook and a few pages of bragging about it being 'stole' the fact that they were three young boys and a few four letter words. At least I was glad I checked on it and as far as I know did not have some poor Geocacher looking all over for a chache that was stolen, good too that I found it walking in about 50m from the original site, container with sticker closed and in excellent shape to fill and replace in another location.

Gordon Parsons, Labrador

From your picture I am amazed that they found it!!! You talked about airbrushing it to conceal it, what a great job you did. It looks just like a huge drainage culvert laying near a stream. Or was it the railway overpass, with the realistic looking graphity spray painted on it. Or is this whole scene what you airbrushed on it to make it blend into the bush, like the Coyote used to do on the rockfaces to the Roadrunner? icon_biggrin.gif

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

[This message was edited by MedicP1 on October 07, 2002 at 01:22 PM.]

From your picture I am amazed that they found it!!! You talked about airbrushing it to conceal it, what a great job you did. It looks just like a huge drainage culvert laying near a stream. Or was it the railway overpass, with the realistic looking graphity spray painted on it. Or is this whole scene what you airbrushed on it to make it blend into the bush, like the Coyote used to do on the rockfaces to the Roadrunner? icon_biggrin.gif

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

[This message was edited by MedicP1 on October 07, 2002 at 01:22 PM.]

As echoed by a couple of others, this was a great, well thought-out cache and I'm sad to hear of its apparent demise. My wife and I were one of the lucky ones to find the cache and we did notice that the general vicinity was starting to get pretty trampled. Even so, the area is quite a distance from the beaten path so I find it hard to think that someone came across the cache by accident. I'm hoping that a cacher, frustrated at not being able to open the container, took it home to figure it out with the intent of putting it back. The other scenario is something I'm afraid to consider: that we have some rogue cacher who is out plundering caches. Has anyone heard of similar instances for local caches? I would check back again after a few days just to make sure.

Be strong and know that those lucky few who found your cache truly enjoyed the thought and effort you put into it. Good luck!