Any Magellan 315 users in Edmonton willing to loan a cable?

Geode2

Hello all,

I've purchased a Magellan 315, and it came with the 3.14 firmware; I'd like to upgrade to 3.15, but I don't really want to spend $40CDN to buy a data cable, just to upgrade the firmware.

Are there any Geocachers in Edmonton who have a Mag315 and the data cable, and would be willing to loan me the cable (or upgrade the software for me)?

Thanks a lot!

If nobody will lend you a cable you can make one from an old serial mouse cable or serial extension cable. Use the pinouts shown on this website and

http://magellangps.com/products/datasend.htm

just tape the bare wires to the contacts on the back of your 315 rather than fabricating a connector. It'll do for upgrading the firmware but I would recommend buying a cable anyway. It's money well spent and will allow you to upload/download data to save tracks and waypoints.

I'd lend you mine but I'm a

Garmin Owner icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by PDOP's on June 20, 2002 at 09:06 PM.]

If nobody will lend you a cable you can make one from an old serial mouse cable or serial extension cable. Use the pinouts shown on this website and

http://magellangps.com/products/datasend.htm

just tape the bare wires to the contacts on the back of your 315 rather than fabricating a connector. It'll do for upgrading the firmware but I would recommend buying a cable anyway. It's money well spent and will allow you to upload/download data to save tracks and waypoints.

I'd lend you mine but I'm a

Garmin Owner icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by PDOP's on June 20, 2002 at 09:06 PM.]

What are you sadistic or something?!?! icon_smile.gif I could not imagine NOT having a cable. I've got 400 waypoints in my GPS, most of which are downloaded from here. Do you know how long it would have taken me to enter them by hand!!!

Ok, all joking aside, either build yourself a cable or buy one. It is WELL worth it, especially if you get the one with the power adapter too.(5 bucks more)

There have been several occasions where I'm out with a buddy and we decide to go geocaching spur of the moment. Because of the cable I can upload all of Ontario to my GPS and therefore I can usually pull it out and head off for a cache without looking or entering a waypoint.

Cheers!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

What are you sadistic or something?!?! icon_smile.gif I could not imagine NOT having a cable. I've got 400 waypoints in my GPS, most of which are downloaded from here. Do you know how long it would have taken me to enter them by hand!!!

Ok, all joking aside, either build yourself a cable or buy one. It is WELL worth it, especially if you get the one with the power adapter too.(5 bucks more)

There have been several occasions where I'm out with a buddy and we decide to go geocaching spur of the moment. Because of the cable I can upload all of Ontario to my GPS and therefore I can usually pull it out and head off for a cache without looking or entering a waypoint.

Cheers!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I suppose I may have to buy a cable, then. I guess I'll revise my original question - does anybody know a good place to pick up a Magellan 315 cable in Edmonton? I don't mind ordering online, but I'd like to attempt to get a good deal on the (kind of overpriced) data cable.

I'm using NiMH batteries, and I've got lots of them, so I'm not too worried about having the car adapter - only the data cable.

Any help anybody can provide would be appreciated!

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I suppose I may have to buy a cable, then. I guess I'll revise my original question - does anybody know a good place to pick up a Magellan 315 cable in Edmonton? I don't mind ordering online, but I'd like to attempt to get a good deal on the (kind of overpriced) data cable.

I'm using NiMH batteries, and I've got lots of them, so I'm not too worried about having the car adapter - only the data cable.

Any help anybody can provide would be appreciated!

quote:

Walmart is probably the best price I've seen. At most the difference in prices will be $5 so you need to decide what your time, gas and frustration are worth!

Crappy Tire also carries these as does Radio Shack, although radshack is probably the most expensive.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by PDOP's:

Other vendors are The Fishin Hole http://www.thefishinhole.com/ and Prairie Geomatics http://www.prairie.mb.ca/. You've got the right idea to just pick up the power cable - the extra $40 they want for the power/data cable is better spent on a charger and batteries. icon_wink.gif

I take it you mean I should just pick up the data cable. icon_biggrin.gif I'll take a look at Wal-Mart and see what I can find. Thanks to everybody for the advice.

quote:
Originally posted by PDOP's:

Other vendors are The Fishin Hole http://www.thefishinhole.com/ and Prairie Geomatics http://www.prairie.mb.ca/. You've got the right idea to just pick up the power cable - the extra $40 they want for the power/data cable is better spent on a charger and batteries. icon_wink.gif

I take it you mean I should just pick up the data cable. icon_biggrin.gif I'll take a look at Wal-Mart and see what I can find. Thanks to everybody for the advice.

quote:
Originally posted by Geode2:

I take it you mean I should just pick up the _data_ cable. icon_biggrin.gif I'll take a look at Wal-Mart and see what I can find. Thanks to everybody for the advice.

Ooops icon_eek.gif

Yes I did mean data cable. Walmarts in Edmonton were liquidating all their 315/320/330 stuff a couple of months back and switching to the Meridians. I'm not sure if the power cables are common between the two models.

quote:
Originally posted by Geode2:

I take it you mean I should just pick up the _data_ cable. icon_biggrin.gif I'll take a look at Wal-Mart and see what I can find. Thanks to everybody for the advice.

Ooops icon_eek.gif

Yes I did mean data cable. Walmarts in Edmonton were liquidating all their 315/320/330 stuff a couple of months back and switching to the Meridians. I'm not sure if the power cables are common between the two models.

I'm sure the price difference was not more then $15 from power/data to data only.

I love my power/data cable because when I turn on the backlight while driving with it plugged into power, it doesn't time out and turn off again. I can leave it on my dash light up for an entire drive if I want.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:

I'm sure the price difference was not more then $15 from power/data to data only.

I love my power/data cable because when I turn on the backlight while driving with it plugged into power, it doesn't time out and turn off again.

From what I've seen, the difference in price doesn't seem too high - perhaps $15 or $20 (about $35-40CDN for data only, and up to $60 for power/data).

I'm not planning on using the GPS while driving - for Geocaching, Mapquest works well to get me close enough while leaving the GPS turned off.

The extra $15 or $20 is enough for me to buy an extra set of NiMH rechargables, which should provide more than enough power for a cache hunt (I have a set in the GPS, and two fully-charged backups). As a result, I'm not really worried about having power. Being able to download waypoints does sound handy, though. So far, I've just been entering them manually.

quote:

Walmart is probably the best price I've seen. At most the difference in prices will be $5 so you need to decide what your time, gas and frustration are worth!

Crappy Tire also carries these as does Radio Shack, although radshack is probably the most expensive.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Well, I tried one of the local Wal-Marts, and one of the local Canadian tire stores here in Edmonton. Neither stocked the data cable for the Mag315. Both, however, did sell the GPS itself.

I suppose I may have to order on-line; my preference is to buy local, but on-line is OK too.

Has anybody dealt with Prairie Geomatics? How is their service?

If you want to try one more local store before ordering online look at the Fishin Hole. There's one outlet in West Edmonton Mall and a couple of others around town. I bought the combo cable from them as a gift for a Maggi owner and their price was comparable to Prairie Geomatics.