Geocaching with Snow

Guest rap_ptor

Guest rap_ptor

Hey I'm new to this and I live in Ontario so i was wondering if you guys ever go geocaching when there's no on the ground? I was also wondering where to hide caches, should it be on government property? And finally do i need maps to geocach or to hide cachs?

Thanks for the input!

quote:
Originally posted by rap_ptor:

Hey I'm new to this and I live in Ontario so i was wondering if you guys ever go geocaching when there's snow on the ground?!

Down here in the Toronto area we are still waiting for snow to go caching in. Based on the activity so far this Winter I get the feeling that snow will not stop most cachers. Obviously some caches will be buried and harder to find and footprints will help point the way.

quote:
I was also wondering where to hide caches, should it be on government property?

Unless you get permission from the owner you should never place a cache on private property nor have it in such a place that seekers would have to cross PP. That leaves public areas such as City Parks/Greenbelts, Conservation Areas, Provincial or National Parks etc. Unlike our brethren in the U.S., we, so far, have not had to get permission from park managers. Despite this we should always strive to choose sites that do not in any way cause any damage to Flora and Fauna. Remember also our slogan, "Cache in, Trash out"

quote:
And finally do i need maps to geocach or to hide cachs?

Only your GPSR and providing an accurate set of coordinates.

Good luck and happy caching, Olar

Guest P38manCdn

I have lived in a number of areas in Ontario -- from Windsor to Ottawa so im familiar with many parts of this province. I have just picked up 6 topographical maps of certain areas of southern Ontario, south of an east-west line from Tobermory. I found the maps have helped me narrow may search for cache areas and look closely at specific locations on the maps. I will now drive to these locations and walk around to check it out. You may know natural localtions in your area that you can check more closely for a cache site.

A good road map of ontari owill show the conservation areas and other parks so you can spot general locations to check fairly easily.

Be fore-warned -- topo-maps are about $18 including tax.

[This message has been edited by P38manCdn (edited 16 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by P38manCdn (edited 16 January 2002).]

Nice advice there Olar and Welcome to geocaching Rap-ptor. Lot's of us do geocache hunting during winter.It is sometimes more challenging just by getting to the

cache.Sometimes it will be snowed over.I suggest you find a few caches before stashing one.You don't need a map but you can get a general idea from mapblast or others when going for a hunt.A few pointers icon_wink.gifGet a compass this will help when getting close to the cache follow the compass bearings,bring spare batteries,and DON'T forget to take a waypoint at your starting point(car).Bring a copy of the cache description.Spare clothing and water is also a good idea.Have fun.300mag icon_smile.gif

Nice advice there Olar and Welcome to geocaching Rap-ptor. Lot's of us do geocache hunting during winter.It is sometimes more challenging just by getting to the

cache.Sometimes it will be snowed over.I suggest you find a few caches before stashing one.You don't need a map but you can get a general idea from mapblast or others when going for a hunt.A few pointers icon_wink.gifGet a compass this will help when getting close to the cache follow the compass bearings,bring spare batteries,and DON'T forget to take a waypoint at your starting point(car).Bring a copy of the cache description.Spare clothing and water is also a good idea.Have fun.300mag icon_smile.gif

Winter caching is great! It hides the caches and makes the hunt more challenging. Or you see footprints. They either lead to the cache (not so good) or are spread throughout, never finding the prize. It is cool to see that others are looking! Anyway, don't let the white stuff stop you.

Enjoy, as I do!

quote:
Originally posted by adleus:

... Anyway, don't let the white stuff stop you.

Don't let the snow stop you, but plan on it slowing you down... a lot. We logged a cache today that required a 40 minute search of an area that would only have required a few minutes in the Summer.

Finding a small container under a few feet of snow in rugged terrain certainly adds to the challenge.