THE GEOPIRATE HAS LANDED IN BC

canadazuuk

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Trekker:

Vancouver Transit Geocache

Plundered by:

http://www.piratecaching.com/images/pirate1.jpg

ENCRYPTED: CUNEZNQHR

A man with a GPS knows where he is...A Man with two GPS's is never sure!

Are you accusing a local cacher? Pharmadude of all people. Shame on you! I don't know him but know people who do and I'm positive he'd NEVER do that. I think you owe him an apology matey!

I'm sorry but after I picked myself up off the floor I read on and now I'm mad. So there is someone out there who thinks its fun to steal our caches. who do they think they are and to hit one of the most popular cache there is here. What is going on here and how can I get on the band wagon to catch this group.

Goofy

Giggles, Goofy, Grumpy & Graceful.....Not

Well, I have the container and the pen and logbook, plus the note 'the pirate' left... pics to follow ASAP tomorrow once I return home.

The cache contents were moved to another location, and I have a hand drawn diagram of where they are at...

Geo-Trekker, I find it awfully strange that you don't have a find in about 4 months, and yet have pounced all over this...

Pharmadude is not involved. Grab a grip.

After a restful night's sleep I've discovered what the problem is...

It's all Canadazuuk's fault. icon_wink.gif

If he had given the cache container to the CEO (Mrs.G) instead of the COO this would all be sorted out by now. The CEO would have "sniffed" this pirate out yesterday already. You gotta go straight to the top with these issues! icon_biggrin.gif

Hi zuuk.

I haven't had a find in over four months because I've been out of the country working and I just returned on the 5th of September. You can even ask Mariner BC and Cacherunner, they knew of my absence.

The fact that I "pounced" on it was because I was upset that this had happened to one of Vancouver's best caches. I was looking forward to hunting upon my return, then this happens.

If Pharmadude isn't involved, I apologize...Though the evidence is circumstancial and favors Pharmadude.

Now it's curious that the picture on the piratecaching page has been removed.

Anyhow, the cache police will get to the bottom of this.

Zuuk, If you are looking for a parter in crime I am always available to help.

Happy Hunting,

Geo-Trekker

So is it Jomarac5?

Link to Vancouver Transit:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7d0749fb-d20d-49fd-95e8-c9424f73ffeb

Seekerbc posted on September 17th an email from the geocaching.com notify bot of a find by Jomarac5 and in the message he was talking like a pirate (ye, arrr, matey). That post has since been edited by Seekerbc who now claims he knows who it is followed by "Hey J5".

- edit - this is not an accusation or a flame. this post is simply an update after seeing some developments in the investigation of this mystery.

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Arrr!!! I do sometimes talk like a pirate and I've said many times in these forums that I love a good pirate story. But I don't steal caches. Nor do I condone the actions of those who do.

BTW: I visited a couple of my own caches after Zuuk called me last night and one of them had also been visited by the pirate.

Fair winds to all and may the pirates who steal caches be hung from the yard arm by their thumbs.

I found an interesting log on one of the cache pages Zuuk did in Washington. Seems like he invited the trouble here.

The cache page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=54787fb9-7bd2-40aa-b11c-14abf60f7378

(Corny Cache)

quote:
Canadazuuk logged:

September 8 by canadazuuk (202 found)

The so-called pirate was here too eh? Still a loser. Try this in Canada.

Left a STAR WARS RUBIKS CUBE HEAD (were only available in Canada). Took nothing.

Who knows if this is even 'the same' individual or member... in Bellingham, the caches were looted,and nothing returned (at least initially).

The pirate needs to be concerned that they may be found responsible should someone tamper with caches in an even MORE distructful way, and leave the blame with the pirate cacher.

What if someone left Anthrax in a cache container? Hmmm.....

quote:
Zuuky wrote:

The pirate needs to be concerned that they may be found responsible should someone tamper with caches in an even MORE distructful way, and leave the blame with the pirate cacher.

What if someone left Anthrax in a cache container? Hmmm.....

I don't get this Zuuk. It's just a little bit over the top. Come on, if it comes right down to it, whats to stop *anyone* from leaving something evil in a cache? If anyone did, I doubt that they would leave any kind of calling card.

quote:
The so-called pirate was here too eh? Still a loser. Try this in Canada.
I also find it a bit odd that you would challenge these guys to come up here.

Thems pirate maps are the best bit of treasure ize seen in a cache in a yarn. Are they's printed on the tattered rig'n's of Ol'No beards lost ship.

Cap'n Urch'n, yur welcome to plunder any of my caches in that way. I spect you won't be reburri'n them too far away.

eroyd, you have to see one of these notes, they're very cool.

I'll try to get some better pictures of them. One of my caches was hit by this Urchin as well and when I first went to check on the cache (didn't have my camera with me), I was a bit miffed when I first saw the note.

But after reading it and following the instructions on the map I found the cache contents less than 30 meters away. There was another note saying that the finder could keep the box to place a cache of their own, I thought, "this isn't so bad". No harm has been done and there could possibly be a new cache coming out soon. I put everything back the way that I found it and left it for the next person who visits my cache. If this is the extent that this pirate is going to play his game, then I'm fine with it.

I hope that I come across a cache that has been plundered by Urchin if a new lock & lock box is what there is to look forward to. I'm sure my kids would get a big kick out of this -- when I told them that our cache had been pirated their first reaction was similar to mine, they were a bit upset, but when I explained to them how it was done, they all thought it was very cool.

Obviously, someone is having a bit of fun here and I don't have a problem with it being done this way.

I love a good pirate story.

I have deleted a bunch of user notes from this cache page. The cache page is not an appropriate place to carry on this conversation.

Please feel free to continue a nice conversation here, but do not clutter that cache pages with notes.

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

I am with Jomarac5 on this, I think it adds a fun dimension to an already fun sport, as long as the cache is still actually accessible and not merely stolen.

I also think Hydee is being a bit of a busybody deleting the notes, what's it to her if the cache page is "cluttered", if the notes are not offensive & the cache owner did not delete them on their own?

mho.

"Thank you for calling Mom's Travel Service. Guilt Trips our specialty. Where would you like to go today?"

Cachewidow, nice to hear that you see the fun in this as well. I don't think that it's fair however to give Hydee a hard time about deleting the log notes -- there were a lot of accusations and finger pointing going on and it's possible that the cache owner complained about his cache page becoming a forum discussion. If it were my cache, I probably would have deleted the logs myself.

Dagg, are you suggesting that the pirate is PAT?!?

Good lord, this is starting to resemble an episode of 'As the Cache Turns' or something.

I think the Pirating idea is kind of fun... provided that the pirateer who moves it chooses an appropriate location that doesn't turn a 1 Difficulty into a 5, for instance.

Also, I find it interesting that tomorrow happens to be 'Talk Like A Pirate Day'... odd coincidence?

Talk like a Pirate Day

----

Mr Peabody and his fabulous WABAC Machine.

Perhaps we've misunderstood the pirate all along. It appears the Pirate is just adding a new element to the geocaching game. Although it is rather rude to move all the contents (especially the log book) of a cache without asking the owner, it would make it a little more interesting. It kind of turns the traditional cache into a multi, whether the owner intended it to be a multi or not.

Instead of moving all the contents, why not just leave the pirate note and hand-drawn map so those who want to try it can go look for the treasure, and those who just want to visit the cache can do so without being disappointed. To the pirate(s), if you happen to be reading this, please consider my suggestion.

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by RobertM:

I think the pirate should have left Zuuk an auto-focus camera.

Remember though, if I post any higher quality photos, Groundspeak would still have a non-exclusive right to do with them whatever they will... haven't you read the terms and conditions today?

quote:
Zuuk wrote:

Groundspeak would still have a non-exclusive right to do with them whatever they will...

Do we need to call on the moderator to keep this thread on topic Zuuky?

This is not a discussion about the terms of use.

Haven't heard what you think of this pirate yet. Care to share your views?

Tunnels Jom, Tunnels... Why would I need to read an off-topic remark about needing an auto-focus camera?

Remember to be impartial when applying 'the law'.

What do I think about this version of the pirate?

It is said that we have two ears and one mouth, and should therefore do more listening.

It wasn't off topic Zuuk. A few of your pictures were pretty fuzzy. The comment was valid as it related directly to the topic at hand. The poster was just trying to get a clearer view of the evidence.

And I have ten fingers -- so maybe I should be typing just that much more.

But enough of this small talk stuff -- what do *you* think of this version of the pirate?

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on September 18, 2003 at 01:31 PM.]

Hi Jomarac,

Although displeased and upset with the piracy at first, this has turned out to be quite amusing. I am not encouraging the pirates to frequently plunder caches, but once in a while it might make for an interesting adventure.

Moreover, had the pirates been malicious then maybe my opinion would change, but since the swag is "Safe" not "Stolen", it adds another facet to our evolving sport.

Of course amidst the forums there has been much finger pointing in regards to identity of the pirate. I'm sure you now know how it feels to be wrongfully accused J5. It was disheartening when my name appeared as a possible culprit for the Fake Team KFBW GPS Cache. Man, was I irate.

Also (Don't take me the wrong way but..) you and a few other cachers (Robert M, Zuuk etc.)

go about as if you are the "Geocaching Gods" and tend to be very officious. Yes indeed you have been Geocaching for quite some time though I've been Geocaching since Nov. 2001, much longer than most of you. I am not saying that I'm better than any of you, personally I think we are all equal. I am just sticking up for myself and for the sake of our sport.

It would be nice to build a good rapport with you but your attitude can sometimes stink and unless it changes (It really hasn't though and I'm not really expecting it to) I will not think highly of a select few of my 'caching peers.

Just to reiterate, don't take me the wrong way on my comments...consider it constructive criticism.

My apologies if I've gone off on a tangent but it just had to come out.

Back to the topic of piracy - Arrgh

Happy Hunting,

Geo-Trekker and Geo-Dog

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Prior to even Geo-Trekkers post, I have requested that this thread be closed.

Furthermore, I did not appreciate ALL my pictures being included in this thread when they are already available on the cache page.

What's the point of posting the pictures on a private / members only cache page where the majority of the users can't see them?