Urban Challenge-how cool is this?

KimAndMollie

I was skimming my issue of Runner's World Magazine, and came across an article about this sport, and was immediately intrigued! http://www.urbanchallenge.com

The only thing is, there are no challenges in Canada (yet). I've emailed them to see if there is the possibility of putting one on here. It sounds like the sport incorporates some of the elements of caching. You don't necessarily have to be a runner to do it either! I'll see what I can find out.

My question is this: after going over the website, would any of you consider doing this?

Let me know! icon_biggrin.gif

Found it!

I think this could work here. We do already have multi-caches though. Granted, it isn't an organized event to race to the finish line. The only issue I have with this (and colour me a tree hugger) is that finding the cache, for me at least, is really secondary to hiking/biking a nice new area and enjoying myself outside. That said, I'm working on a cache that will encompass some of the competitive ideas but with a more intellectual twist.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Hey C-A

Like you, I cache for the journey and the views, not so much for the cache itself. I choose the places I cache, and I can say that a good 90% of my finds have been to places I wouldn't normally have gone.

The reason that this Urban Challenge thing appeals to me, is it could add a different element to our sport. I think the difference with this is, it involves clue solving, and a knowledge of the city invloved. It seems to be based on how efficiently you can get to the landmarks and checkpoints. I'm not sure that it would be considered caching per se, but it sounded like something different for cachers to try. icon_smile.gif

Speaking of intellectually challenging caches, have you seen any of the Team KFWB caches here in Victoria? Although I like the idea of the challenge, I don't know if I agree with the idea of caching for cash. They HAVE come up with some good puzzles and problems, but you have to wonder about the motivation. Anyway, this is longer than I intended it to be. Thanks for the comments! icon_biggrin.gif

Found it!

When I was still living in South Africa they used to have an organized thing like this there as well. I remember the one was in Cape Town and it looked really fun and competitive. They showed it on TV on one of the sport/running programs. It's sort of like a mini Amazing Race. Very cool!

I emailed them to see if they would be interested in putting on a race in Canada, as there don't appear to be any here. Even if they don't, I'm sure we could organize something similar. I told them that I know a lot of runners who would be interested in the adventure, and a lot of adventurers who would just like a different kind of challenge-I'll let you guys know what I find out. Happy hunting! icon_wink.gif

Found it!

They're interested in putting one on in Canada-here's what they said:

'We would love to come up north this summer. To consider it, we would need a

good local coordinator and $20,000 in local sponsorship committed to the

race. Would you be interested in tackling the project?'

Never having done something like this, I'm not sure I could tackle this. I could talk to the running club I belong to, and see what they advise in terms of securing sponsorship, etc. To be honest I wasn't expecting such a prompt reply!

If anyone had any advice or ideas, post 'em here! icon_biggrin.gif

Found it!