Cache Pictures showing sideways on Android

6 minutes ago, geotracters said:

When logging caches, sometimes I upload pictures, but they always appear sideways. Is there a way to fix this or is it just a bug?

Where are they showing sideways? When I go to your gallery the only ones that may be sideways are the pics of geocache logs. When I view the actual log the image was in the same orientation. 

So can you give an example?

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Where are they showing sideways? When I go to your gallery the only ones that may be sideways are the pics of geocache logs. When I view the actual log the image was in the same orientation. 

So can you give an example?

Do you mean how i take the picture or how the picture looks on my screen?

1 hour ago, geotracters said:

Do you mean how i take the picture or how the picture looks on my screen?

How do they look on the screen after you upload them because I don't see any of that in your gallery. Except for the cache logs but maybe that's just how you take the photos of them.

18 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

How do they look on the screen after you upload them because I don't see any of that in your gallery. Except for the cache logs but maybe that's just how you take the photos of them.

I take the picture on my camera app,not the geocaching app, when I upload the picture to my log before uploading it, it appears sideways, even though it looks normal when I view my photos, my most recent picture isnt popping up yet but it happened to that one too

21 minutes ago, geotracters said:

Just logged a cache a few days ago and uploaded a picture, this is what it looks like on the app when I upload it and what the picture looks like in my photos app. Again I have no idea why this happens.

Thank you for sharing those images. I just checked my gallery, and my log photos uploaded from my phone, via the Geocaching app, are showing the correct orientation.

4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Thank you for sharing those images. I just checked my gallery, and my log photos uploaded from my phone, via the Geocaching app, are showing the correct orientation.

Then how come mine are showing sideways? Could it possibly be a bug or an error in the code? I'm on Android and my version is 9.1.0 if that helps.

6 minutes ago, geotracters said:

Then how come mine are showing sideways? Could it possibly be a bug or an error in the code? I'm on Android and my version is 9.1.0 if that helps.

My Android version is 12. I just tested a photo upload on a brand new log, and it is still oriented correctly. Sorry I'm no help!

Clearly yours are sideways (and I can see them in your gallery). I just don't have any ideas why!

On 4/30/2022 at 5:56 PM, geotracters said:

When logging caches, sometimes I upload pictures, but they always appear sideways. Is there a way to fix this or is it just a bug?

What happens if you rotate the phone 90 degrees counter-clockwise and then take the picture?

https://intercom.help/livelocal/en/articles/4038760-why-do-my-images-appear-sideways-or-upside-down

Edited by kunarion
4 hours ago, kunarion said:

What happens if you rotate the phone 90 degrees counter-clockwise and then take the picture?

https://intercom.help/livelocal/en/articles/4038760-why-do-my-images-appear-sideways-or-upside-down

Tried that just now, it makes the picture upside down

Edit: tried it both clockwise and counter clockwise, both had the same result

Edited by geotracters
44 minutes ago, geotracters said:

Tried that just now, it makes the picture upside down

Edit: tried it both clockwise and counter clockwise, both had the same result

So it's the phone.  Well according to the article above, it's issues with phones and websites that don't automatically fix photos.  I haven't seen a lot of Forum posts about this effect, but I do encounter sideways avatar photos around here. :anicute:

What phone is it?  Android is at version 12.

I'm currently using various camera Apps on an iPhone 8 for some photos, and I see an occasional photo is sideways.  But I never directly upload from a phone without first re-sizing it in another App, which seems to help prevent problems (plus upload is much faster once it's a smaller file).  Most often, I send all photos from both my camera and phone to my PC, then re-size, rotate (if necessary), and do a web site upload of the best shots to my logs, whether or not I originally posted the logs via App.  If after that I see one of my photos rotated in a log, I click "edit" on that photo, and rotate it on the web site.

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

So it's the phone.  Well according to the article above, it's issues with phones and websites that don't automatically fix photos.  I haven't seen a lot of Forum posts about this effect, but I do encounter sideways avatar photos around here. :anicute:

What phone is it?  Android is at version 12.

I'm currently using various camera Apps on an iPhone 8 for some photos, and I see an occasional photo is sideways.  But I never directly upload from a phone without first re-sizing it in another App, which seems to help prevent problems (plus upload is much faster once it's a smaller file).  Most often, I send all photos from both my camera and phone to my PC, then re-size, rotate (if necessary), and do a web site upload of the best shots to my logs, whether or not I originally posted the logs via App.  If after that I see one of my photos rotated in a log, I click "edit" on that photo, and rotate it on the web site.

My phone is the Motorola G8 power.

I might as well turn the picture 90° then save that image and upload it on the geocaching app, then the image will turn and appear normal (hopefully). Thanks for the help!

I am having the same issue. I uploaded my profile picture from my phone and had to edit it one the geocaching web page to show upright. When I upload from my phone or take a photo through the app in a log. It appears sideways. It is good to know that I am not the only one having this problem. Now how to correct this.

Images can store camera rotation in their EXIF data (in the "Orientation" field.)

If we have some picture that we want to rotate, we can either (1) have the computer move all the pixels around (lots of work), or (2) change the EXIF Orientation field to say that the image should be rotated 90 degrees (not very much work.)

Likely the phone's camera is using the orientation field to communicate rotation, but the Geocaching app/website isn't respecting that. Sounds like a bug!

Edited by Hügh
  • Helpful 1
On 5/29/2022 at 7:06 PM, Hügh said:

Images can store camera rotation in their EXIF data (in the "Orientation" field.)

If we have some picture that we want to rotate, we can either (1) have the computer move all the pixels around (lots of work), or (2) change the EXIF Orientation field to say that the image should be rotated 90 degrees (not very much work.)

Likely the phone's camera is using the orientation field to communicate rotation, but the Geocaching app/website isn't respecting that. Sounds like a bug!

I agree, this definitely sounds like a bug. Just to make sure I have it straight though, the orientation of the photo corrects itself when it's actually posted with the log, yes?

If that's the case, then I would argue the impact is very limited. Also, as kunarion points out, there's always the option to rotate photos on the website. Since we prioritize bugs that have a significant impact on gameplay, we sadly cannot promise a quick fix for this.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, worrellsquirrel said:

Just to make sure I have it straight though, the orientation of the photo corrects itself when it's actually posted with the log, yes?

It doesn't look like it.

That said I should clarify that this isn't a problem affecting me; my earlier post was more-so just a guess as to why @geotracters' photos were getting rotated. See, for example, GL178A43K, GL177294E, and GL1771711, to name a few of the examples.

17 hours ago, Hügh said:

It doesn't look like it.

That said I should clarify that this isn't a problem affecting me; my earlier post was more-so just a guess as to why @geotracters' photos were getting rotated. See, for example, GL178A43K, GL177294E, and GL1771711, to name a few of the examples.

Ah, thanks, I see that now. 

@geotracters @TrailDrifter9.3.0 is the latest version of the app, could you try updating to that? 

I also don't see what version of Android you two are using. Can you provide that information for us?

Thank you!

• Helpful 1

Hi all,

After discussing this issue with our engineers, it’s unfortunately complicated by the thousands of different Android devices and how they handle photo EXIF data differently when it comes to orientation.

Some phones might save a photo in the portrait orientation (vertical), but will add the EXIF orientation when you hold your phone in landscape mode (horizontal). Other phones will not make any changes to the EXIF data and just save the photo as you take it (i.e. in 16:9 vs 9:16).

Using Choose from library instead of Take photo should allow the image rotation to be handled in the way intended by the manufacturer.

Hopefully this helps!

• Helpful 3

We are also experiencing this issue since we began Geocaching. We are using a Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro and our currrent Geocaching App version is 9.21.0.

For us, even Choose from Library doesn't work properly with pictures taken using the stock Camera app, and they appear rotated.

However, we quickly found a workaround back in the days:

You can edit the photo you've taken in your Gallery app and crop it (you don't have to crop much, just a tiny bit) and then attach the cropped image.

This cropped image then has the correct orientation.

In the attachments, you can clearly see that the stock Camera app (left) writes the wrong EXIF data, but the cropped image (right) has the correct data.

GCImage.png