Victoria cache needing a little help from a friend....

White Rabbit

Well, it appears that our cache in Victoria has gone astray. It appeared that everyone who visited this one enjoyed it and was happy to see an 'actual' cache in the middle of the city. I'm writing in hopes of getting ahold of someone living in the Victoria area who had visited the cache while it was still alive. If someone remembers where it was, is there ANY chance that you could replace this for us? Thanks will be given on cache page. We'd of course fix this ourselves, but live in Portland, Oregon. We'll be in Vancouver for New Year's Eve and a few days after, but we're not yet sure if we can make it over to Victoria.

Please help a good cache!!

Rabbits in Victoria

Thanks in advance!!

I am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

Forgive me if this is out of line but I am so very new to GC that I have a question on this old Victoria cache.

In the description I read this;

"We placed this cache on our vacation up to Victoria B.C. from Portland, Oregon. "

Yet when I read the aproval rules it stated that caches placed on vacation were agains the rules. Are there exceptions? If so what are they.

I am new and just want to understand the etiquete and abide the spirit of the quest. Please set me straight on this one.

Todd

"Patience is for those who lack conviction"

quote:
Originally posted by mav0ric:

Forgive me if this is out of line but I am so very new to GC that I have a question on this old Victoria cache.

In the description I read this;

"We placed this cache on our vacation up to Victoria B.C. from Portland, Oregon. "

Yet when I read the aproval rules it stated that caches placed on vacation were agains the rules. Are there exceptions? If so what are they.

I am new and just want to understand the etiquete and abide the spirit of the quest. Please set me straight on this one.

Todd

"Patience is for those who lack conviction"

First of all, welcome to the game Todd. Many successes.

Second, this cache was placed back in 2002, when the "vacation" rule did not yet apply. As such, it has been grandfathered, or allowed to remain as is. It is part of Victoria geocaching history, so it was important that it be replaced as soon as possible, to avoid being archived. (We hope that some kind admin can UN-archive it now. That's up to you, White Rabbit!) That task was accomplished this evening. We hope that it can be un-archived, so that many more can enjoy this neat cache.

Washington State Geocaching Association

How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

Just curios,

Rather than unarchiving a cache that had to be replaced anyways, why not leave it archived to make it conform to the rules and post a new cache with references to the old one simply for historical purposes.

Then the cache would not only comply with the rules but maintain its history. The added find for others would encourage a repeat visit as well that I suspect people would enjoy anyway.

Just my two cents.

Keith

Bear & Ducky

I understand what you're saying, Keith, but in my view, another replacement cache is NOT the same cache. If the Original page is unarchived, and the container replaced, then it retains much more of it's "History" than would happen if there were just a reference to it on a new cache page. I'm sure there are Southern Ontario caches that are as important to you as this one is for many of us here.

As far as the rules go, I am made to understand that if someone volunteers to maintain a "vacation" cache, then it conforms, or so I am told. I have volunteered for that.

I think as long as someone volunteers to look after a cache, the caches left by our guests are great. I remember doing Rabbits in Victoria waaay back. I believe it was the first local cache page with a unique psycadelic(sp?) background.

These visitor caches have added a welcome bit of foreign flavor to our area. How is lucyandrickie's, "Gift to Victoria" doing?

Yes we do have those in our area but in the case of vacation based I have never seen any allowed to persist.

At anyrate I agree that if someone locally takes responcibility for the cache then it would be the best solution.

Perhaps in some sense ( and to provide accountability of the cache to you in case there are problems) gc.com could benefit from a service that allows you to transfer a cache? so caches that you no longer can maintain for one reason or another could simply be passed on and keep their history going.

I am not assuming your looking for it and may not want that in this situation, but I can think of a few caches where the owners seemed awol and other cachers began to take a more active role (well all the role) of caring for it. Would be nice to request that transfer in cases where it makes sense.

Next time I'm out that way I'll certainly stop by this cache. Thanks for keeping it going.

Keith

Bear & Ducky

As local cachers will be taking over maintenance of this cache, it is very important to let cache seekers know this fact so they know who to contact should a problem arise. Normally they would contact the cache owner, which will likely not be appropriate in this case.

We ask you do two things prior to the cache being unarchived. Please have the cache owner modify the cache description to include reference to the fact that you (the local cacher) should be contacted should any future problem with the cache arise (need maintenance, gone missing, log book full, etc).

Also, please post a note to the cache page yourself indicating you (the local cacher) are now the caretaker. This will alert those on the watch list the cache is back in the game.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to adopt the cache. I am sure your local cachers, the cache owner, and future visitors to Victoria will be pleased.

Please email me when these notes have been made and I will see to it your adopted cache is unarchived as soon as possible.

Cache-Advance

Geocaching.com Admin

Thank you soooo much. This really does mean a lot to us. Team Three(MarinerBC & Team Giblert) will now be the current active caretaker of the cache (Thank you, thank you, and ummm....thank you). When we placed this cache, there was no 'traditional' caches in the city of Victoria, they were mostly virtual. There was no 'vacation' rule that I was aware of. The overwhelming success of this cache is amazing. We're glad that so many Cachers have had a chance to find this one. We've gotten many good reviews of it. I'm changing the description on the cache page right after I post this.

Again, big thanks to everyone!!!! What a great community of people!!!

EDIT: Cache won't let me edit the details until it's un-archived! I'll get on it as soon as possible!

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

These visitor caches have added a welcome bit of foreign flavor to our area. How is lucyandrickie's, "Gift to Victoria" doing?

I wasn't given advance notice of where this one would be. As eroyd is aware, I'm not good at finding caches, so the pressure was really on. So far, Gift is hanging in there as well.