Logging hints and clues

Lone Digger

I was just wondering why we fellow cachers continue to spoil the hunt for other cachers by leaving hints and clues in our on-line logs. If the cache owner wanted to post additional clues then they would. Don't you think that just because you had difficulty finding the best parking or trail or the cache that others will make the same mistakes. I find that it takes something away from the whole exploring experience if I find clues contained within the logs. We as cachers are all guilty of it at some point (myself included) and I just think that it should stop. An example of this would be several cachers had difficulty finding the first portion of a multi cache yet the next cacher logged an entry telling future seekers of it's exact location effectivly ruining the experience. Before you log your find on the website please think about how it will effect future cache seekers. Whether you encrypt it or not your hints are still out there for all to see. Lets leave the distribution of hints and clues to the cache owners.

I think I know what your getting at. And for the greater part, I agree.

However, encrypting logs is a useful option.

As well, there are occasions where the cache hider just isn't 'with it'. For example: They tell you where to park in the hint, or which trail to take. I hope I'm like the majority of cachers who don't look at the hint until it's required, or you've arrived within 50 feet of the cache...

Then we have the people who have to post the co-ords that THEY got. Normally it's not a problem, but I can think of one cache that it totally defeated the purpose of. The whole point of that cache was that due to 'poor japanese translation' it wasn't exactly at the posted location. It was supposed to be a challenge. As soon as someone posted corrected co-ords, everyone was finding it. If the cache is meant to be a 'puzzle' don't spoil it for others.

*steps down off soap box*

Wulf

This is a tough one. Sometimes the cache hider doesn't do a good job marking the actual cache coords (doesn't spend the time averaging, etc.), in which case publishing the coords you found is a public service to future searchers. I can see your point in the case of the "Japanese Translation" cache, but unless it's explicitly specified NOT to publish any alt coords, I don't see the problem and as I've stated I can see the benefit.

As for not publishing any clues in your log entry, to me it all depends how you describe your experience. The longer a cache stays active, oftentimes the "easier" it's going to get anyway...think about how often you look for "cacher tracks" when you get close to the target. If no one writes about their experiences, then all we'll have is a bunch of "TNLNSL" log entries on every cache. I don't know about y'all, but I like reading about other's experiences on the hunt, and if I had an exceptional time I like to write and share mine. The key is writing about your experience in such a way that you don't provide blatant spoilers. I DO print others' logs when I bring the printouts with me and I have no shame about referencing them along the trail if they're helpful.

Your points about not spoiling a cache with your entries are well taken, but if you're artful in your entries it doesn't have to be a problem. I suspect your "complaint" is of folks who aren't artful and don't "get it"...on that front, I DEFINITELY see your point and generally agree with you.

FWIW, my $.02...

-Dave R., Biloxi, Miss., USA, October's Alberta guest cacher icon_cool.gif

Just an overall response to this. The cache owner has the optionof editing or deleting the posted log...I know they are emailed to me when someone posts a find of one of mine. It is up to the owner to moderate the log.....

I know I have emailed finders to ask them to change their log(s) and have been emailed myself to do the same...

Just my opinion.

Team Happy face - DyverDown, Scubaweeble and The Ham Boy (It's a LONG story)

Team Happy Face raises another good point I forgot about. I too have Emailed cache loggers on some of my caches when they've posted blatant spoilers in their logs...I've asked them to alter the verbiage in certain ways so that their logs remain descriptive but don't give away the solution. I'll give them a day or two to make their log mods before I delete them. This has always been successful...the couple-three times I've had to write such notes to folks they've always been compliant, and generally apologetic for the inadvertent spoiler as well.

-Dave R.