Canadian Travel Bug race?

white_owl

quote:
Originally posted by boreal jeff & sons:

I'd like to see this race extended, up to March 2004, just to give a TB the chance to visit the eight provinces. There's no hurry for this unless there's something I don't know about the sponsors and their donated prizes.

Every hour spent Geocaching is added to the end of your life.

I'm a sponser and have enjoyed watching the race. My prize will be there no matter when the race ends. It would be nice to see one actually reach the intended goal.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

WCoaster/Boreal Jeff/White Owl,

As we quickly approach the end date of the race, I'm looking through the forum and there are a number of posts to extend the race. Is there any official word on this yet?

I checked the race site but didn't see anything posted there on this topic.

I was thinking of heading out to Up, Up and Away today and noticed that Canadian Torch is still there, logging a whopping 14.49 miles so far and taking second prize for the least distance travelled (other than the ones that never even seemed to start the race). There's no hope for this TB unless the race is significantly extended.

So, what's the official ruling of the Rules Committee?

No matter where you go, there you are

It has been decided by the Rules Committee the prizes will be awarded October 31, 2003 as stated in the rules. Winners will be announced at that time.

I will be leaving my TB in the race to see how long it takes to complete the goal of visiting eight provinces/territories. I am also willing to keep the web page updated to reflect the status of any other TB's that want to stay in the race. If interest in the web site wanes, I will discontinue it. If you want your TB removed from the web site, then let me know.

Every hour spent Geocaching is added to the end of your life.

quote:
Originally posted by coast2coast2coast:

icon_confused.gifI was wondering if My TB..The Moose is Loose and ....The Hayley Hedgehog TB are still in the random draw?

Yes they are. All entries who don't win 1st, 2nd, 3rd or "most miles" will be in the draw.

WO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone can go to a Tupperware party but it takes a special skill to hunt plastic containers in the wild.

I think that the race has been a good one, and would like to thank the organizers for all their effort. What I can't understand how so many travel bugs have gotten "lost," including mine. Is this a west coast phenomenon - stealing travelbugs? It's not like the person who takes them can use them. Oh well. Next race I'll just have to enter a BUNCH of bugs and hope that at least one makes it until the end of the race.

Fizbot

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=37304

AND THE WINNER IS .....

On behalf of the 2003 Canadian Travel Bug Race committee, I would like to thank all those who made this event possible.

Most of all, the race sponsors who's generous contributions made the prizes possible.

Groundspeak http://www.Groundspeak.com/

GPS Central http://www.gpscentral.ca/

GPS City http://www.gpscity.com/canada

Geocaching Hiking Sticks & Staffs http://geo-hikingstick.com/

Bumble Buttons http://bumblebuttons.com/index.asp

Canadian Geocoins http://www.geocoins.ca/

USA Geocoins http://www.usageocoins.com/

We would also like to thank all the participants. We hope everyone had as much fun as we did and we hope to see you all in the 2004 Race.

And finally, we would like to thank all the Geocachers who have moved the bugs.

And now for the winners.

1st place

004 Smokey by junglehair with 5 provinces

$125.00 gift certificate from GPS Central

Hiking stick from Geocaching Hiking Sticks & Staffs

T-shirt from GPS City

2nd place

012 Eastbound & Down by Marvin from mars with 4 provinces and 2838.14 miles

$75.00 gift certificate from GPS Central

Hat and Micro cache container from Groundspeak

Buttons from Bumble Buttons

$30 USD gift certificate from Geocaching Hiking Sticks & Staffs

3rd place

009 Perpendicular Migration by PDOP's with 4 provinces and 1383.12 miles

$50.00 gift certificate from GPS Central

Hat and Micro cache container from Groundspeak

US GeoCoin

$30 USD gift certificate from Geocaching Hiking Sticks & Staffs

Most miles from the non-winners

019 I am Canadian by Team 35th Tecumseh Rovers with 3058.52 miles

5 Canadian Geocoins from Canadian Geocoins.

(An interesting note here is that ‘I am Canadian' has more miles that any of the ‘most provinces' winners!)

The 5 random winners are

002 Green Folks Bug by boreal jeff & sons

005 The Moose is Loose by coast2coast2coast

011 The Rocket by jackbear

014 Canadian Torch by StAlbert4

020 The Downunder-ground traveler by fizbot

1 Pocket Kit and 1 GeoPatch from GPS City

Coincidentally, the second number drawn was my own but I didn't feel right about that so I threw it aside and drew another number.

Again, a big thanks to all and we hope to see everyone in 2004. Watch this forum around February or March 2004 for news on next year's race.

My best,

White Owl

white_owl@sympatico.ca

Anyone can go to a Tupperware party but it takes a special skill to hunt plastic containers in the wild.

SO WHERE ARE THEY FROM???

I thought it would be interesting to make a list of where the Travel Bugs' home provinces (area) were.

British Columbia ... 8 bugs

Alberta ... 3 bugs

Saskatchewan ... 0 bugs

Manitoba ... 2 bugs

Ontario ... 6 bugs

Quebec ... 0 bugs

Nova Scotia ... 0 bugs

New Bruswick ... 1 bug

Prince Edward Island ... 0 bugs

Newfoundland ... 0 bugs

Yukon ... 0 bugs

Northwest Territories ... 0 bugs

Nunavut ... 0 bugs

New York ... 2 bugs

Ohio ... 1 bug

United Kingdom ... 2 bugs

A special greeting to our international contingent.

In next year's race, it would be great to see at least 1 entry from each province/territory as well as a greater international participation.

To the Organizers & Sponsors of the Canadian Travel Bug race - a big thank you!

Our poor little travel bug (by my reckoning) was in 2nd last place icon_frown.gif but we had fun following the other racers icon_cool.gif.

The Canadian Torch will hopefully go on to have lots of other adventures. And we look forward to participating next year (and getting a little further ohh.gif in the race.

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)

The winners's list has now been sent to the sponsors. It took me an extra day to do this because I had to double check on something... YUP! This is right!

The first and second place winners (junglehair; Smokey and Marvin from mars; Eastbound and down) are brother and sister!

And another entry, Monkey see owned by The Old Bat, is their mother.

This is just too freaky!!!

Lets see what wild and wierd things we can do next year.

WO

Wow, I can't believe that Smokey actually won the race! Thanks to the organizers for setting up this great race, and to all those that helped Smokey along.

And yes, it's true - the second place winner (Eastbound and Down) is owned by my brother Marvin From Mars - although I don't like to admit that! Mom always did like me best! tongue.gif

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Well congrats to the winners. We didn't realise that there was another UK entry, Who was that? Guess they must have gone further than Hayley Hedgehog did. Will enter next year, with a new faster hedgehog. This hedgehog is, as I speak, getting race advice from a tortoise and a hare. icon_biggrin.gif

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Yahoo....

Huey didn't get out of BC... as a matter of fact, he's still in SomberHippie's pocket, near as I can tell. :D Still, an enjoyable time spent watching.. and hoping.. and well.. dreaming.

Rest assured, Huey will be resurected and I'll have to attach JATO packs or sumpthing to get him moving just a bit faster.

Cheers! :)

Yahoo....

Huey didn't get out of BC... as a matter of fact, he's still in SomberHippie's pocket, near as I can tell. ;) Still, an enjoyable time spent watching.. and hoping.. and well.. dreaming.

:) He is. He's sitting next to me now

I vow that for the next race I won't pick up a single TB. Ever.

I have to be the most forgetful person on the face of the planet. Maybe I'll remember that next time.

I'll get Huey back out there. I've been trying to all weekend with no luck actually getting out to a cache.

Yay - my geocaching hiking staff arrived last weekend, and it looks great! I contacted El Diablo and arranged to pay for an upgrade to the staff I won. I requested a natural limb rather than the wood dowel staff, and had him add my junglehair stamp and a Canadian Flag to the staff.

Once again thanks to the organizers for arranging such great prizes, and of course to El Diablo for doing such a great job!

Here's a picture of the winning travelbug (Smokey) with my new hiking staff.

c0a0612e-6189-445e-b263-8c645c3aa2b5.jpg

Has there been any discussion about a second GCC2C TB race yet?

There will be a 2004 race. We are looking at an early April start time. Keep looking at the forums in late January or Febuary for details.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and support.

WO

White Owl, any news yet? I've got my tags and a durable TB now........just waiting for the official confirmation and start up date. :)

A couple of questions:

1) have TBs been sent in yet? If not, where could they be sent to?

2) will the race rules be the same, or similar?

3) are there any limits to how many entries can be registered to a cacher? (my son would like to join, but doesn't have his own account)

4) when would the start date and end dates be?

Thanks,

DocMagoo

A couple of questions:

1) have TBs been sent in yet? If not, where could they be sent to?

This information has not been released yet but we have a start point. This year's race will be run from East to West

2) will the race rules be the same, or similar?

Very similar, only a few changes and clarifications

3) are there any limits to how many entries can be registered to a cacher? (my son would like to join, but doesn't have his own account)

Hmmm! Good point. We'll discuss this and get back to you.

4) when would the start date and end dates be?

Nothing final yet. Maybe around mid April to mid October???

We'll post here when we've finalized the details.

White Owl

The Race Committee is looking for a East Coast contact to start the race in one of the Maritime provinces and to serve as member of the race committee.  If interested, please contact me.....

Todd here in Halifax, I just got into Geocaching prior to getting blasted this winter. I am really enjoying it and can't wait for spring. I would love to start the race.

LMK Todd

Edited by dragonflys

Okay everyone. I'm updating the web page:

Race Wepage

Still some details to work out but I'm trying to get a May 1 start date.

We already have a East Coast contact. Thanks to all that responded. Geocaching is alive and well in the Maritimes.

Sponsors: If there is anyone out there that would like to contribute prizes, etc, Please let us know.

Edited by boreal jeff & sons