Canadian Travel Bug race?

white_owl

quote:
Originally posted by WCoaster:
Originally posted by SylvrStorm:

Rules clarification request:

On the http://members.shaw.ca/jcoutu1/rules.html, rule 3 © & (d) seem to only apply to cachers who are participating in the race, with violation resulting in that person's entry being disqualified, but no impact on the other racer, whose bug they moved illegally. Right? Which also means that, for instance, a cacher who is not involved in the race could move a bug through multiple successive caches, or over 50 miles.

You are correct on your interpritation of the rule.

You can steer all you want, but it is all for not if your not moving forward!

Okay, another clairifcation questions if I may...

So I could go and find my own bug and collect it and take it with me to Toronto next week, but I couldn't take anyone else's as I'd be moving them more the 50miles. Is that right?

My gut response when I read this was that no, you can't do that. If you have a bug in the race, you can't move any race bug over 50 miles. But then I went back and re-read the rule, and you're right, that one only applies to other racers' bugs. So I'd say yes, you could move your own race bug as far as you want. Of course, the restriction on consecutive moves still applies, so you'd have to drop it off in one place and leave it there.

Just my opinion, and you should get an official ruling on this, but I'd say you're right.

quote:
Originally posted by Xcountry-duo:

quote:
Originally posted by WCoaster:
Originally posted by SylvrStorm:

Rules clarification request:

On the http://members.shaw.ca/jcoutu1/rules.html, rule 3 © & (d) seem to only apply to cachers who are participating in the race, with violation resulting in that person's entry being disqualified, but no impact on the other racer, whose bug they moved illegally. Right? Which also means that, for instance, a cacher who is not involved in the race could move a bug through multiple successive caches, or over 50 miles.

You are correct on your interpritation of the rule.

Okay, another clairifcation questions if I may...

So I could go and find my own bug and collect it and take it with me to Toronto next week, but I couldn't take anyone else's as I'd be moving them more the 50miles. Is that right?

Yes as the rule is written you could take your own TB to Toronto. You would not be able to move it again though until it had been logged two more times by other cachers.

quote:
Originally posted by Acuracura:

Since this is a _Canadian_ TB race, why don't we use the _Metric_ system?

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at http://www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Because Geocaching uses miles to measure Travel bug distances. It's easier to stay with miles that convert to kilometres.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone can go to a Tupperware party but it takes a special skill to hunt plastic containers in the wild.

quote:
Originally posted by white_owl:

quote:
Originally posted by Acuracura:

Since this is a _Canadian_ TB race, why don't we use the _Metric_ system?

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at http://www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Because Geocaching uses miles to measure Travel bug distances. It's easier to stay with miles that convert to kilometres.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone can go to a Tupperware party but it takes a special skill to hunt plastic containers in the wild.

I see. I guess I'll just use a calculator to convert the miles to kilometres. Thanks for clearing that up.

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm under the impression that all bugs have now been distributed - the zero mile bugs either just haven't been picked up from the event cache yet(hence they still appear to be there) or they haven't been dropped at another cache yet. In other words, the only way for you to get them would be to track down the geocachers who participated in the starting event cache...

i have a question regarding the bug we got at the start of the race.. the rocket... some person took the bug from the place we left it in mission hills cache.. this person never logged that he had the bug and then they placed the bug in the Kanaka Creek Cache and still has not logged it not to mention he took it in the WRONG direction... we sent him 2 emails and he has not responded.... my question is would it be against the rules if we took it back and put it in the cache we orignally left it in.. its not like we are moving it forward more then where we placed it but we want this bug to have a fair chance in this race .......

so what do you think?

SteelHead[bC]

Personally, I think it would be fair to move a bug back to the cache it was in, if it had been removed and not logged. I'm sure it was a mistake by the cacher who moved it in the wrong direction, but it could also have been another racer who was trying to mix-up the game a bit. Of course that is just paranoia, because it was MY BUG! AHHHH, I had no idea the Rocket was lifted and moved and messed up! Thanks for posting it! You never know these things if people don't log the bugs in and out! Guess I should keep track of the cache logs. Well thanks for the info, and my vote is, yes, yes, yes....it is fair! Whether is meets the rules, I'm not sure, but it is fair. Thanks for looking out for the Rocket (even if he is disliked by a few in those parts!)

Grrrrrrrrr...

jackbear

quote:
my question is would it be against the rules if we took it back and put it in the cache we orignally left it in..

so what do you think?

SteelHead[bC]

I have corresponded with SteelHead via private e-mail to get further details.

I believe that, since the bug was not logged and a reasonable effort was made by SteelHead, it would be allowable to return the Rocket to The Mission.

WO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The GCC2C cache page is still up and running and I'm wondering if any of the TBs are still there? It currently lists Moose is Loose, Polar Express, East and Down (?) as being in the cache still. If they are, I wouldn't mind rescuing them from their current residence.

The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message icon_wink.gif

While out caching today i came across a travel bug in one of the caches we found.....i brought it home to log it in,then found out that it was in the race.....i live on vancouver island and the race started on the mainland...now why would it end up over here?????????? i thought they wanted to go across canada.....maybe there should be some kind of a tag put on the bugs stating their mission

quote:
Originally posted by peetz:

While out caching today i came across a travel bug in one of the caches we found.....i brought it home to log it in,then found out that it was in the race.....i live on vancouver island and the race started on the mainland...now why would it end up over here?????????? i thought they wanted to go across canada.....maybe there should be some kind of a tag put on the bugs stating their mission

Peetz,

I've been following that one too. According to the rules of the race, racers who own a TB may grab another racer's TB and actually move it backwards, but not exceeding 50 miles. I think in this case, someone moved a competitor's TB in the opposite direction (trying to make it a non-contender). In answer to your second question, the racers could embellish their TBs with any directions they felt would improve their odds at making it across Canada. Then again, I'm just someone who has picked up a few of these TBs and has been watching the race with interest. One of the moderators of the race could confirm my thinking....

The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DocMagoo:

quote:
Originally posted by peetz:

Peetz,

I've been following that one too. According to the rules of the race, racers who own a TB may grab another racer's TB and actually move it backwards, but not exceeding 50 miles. I think in this case, someone moved a competitor's TB in the opposite direction (trying to make it a non-contender). In answer to your second question, the racers could embellish their TBs with any directions they felt would improve their odds at making it across Canada. Then again, I'm just someone who has picked up a few of these TBs and has been watching the race with interest. One of the moderators of the race could confirm my thinking....

_The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message_ icon_wink.gif

Who is to say what "backwards" really means in this race. I would say that travel from Vancouver to another province could happen by driving, in which case you would want to move the bug geographically closer to the potential destination, but if it travels by air, all you need to do is get it to an area frequented by geocachers who fly. Victoria seems to have a much larger and more active geocaching membership than Vancouver, so this could be a very good strategic move by someone. We'll see in a couple months I guess.

Well it looks like a few more bugs were finally picked up form the event cache and hidden. That is good news.

To those with concerns about some of the TB's movements. The race organizers knew that it is big bad world out there and some TB's will not make it out alive. So be it!

Have fun everyone and enjoy the race.

quote:
Originally posted by boreal jeff & sons:

What a delima I'm in. Two of the racers have made it to my Algoma5 Cache here in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

So I'm trying to determine what type of person I am. Should I help them along by moving them east or hinder them by putting them in one of my remote caches?

I'm glad you chose the neutral ground of just giving them some air, then putting them back to let fate decide their course.

Go Smokey Go!

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Here's a funny Great Canadian Travel Bug Race story.

Way back on July 26 I set out from home to find two new caches that came up near my home...

Cash Cache and Geocaching Essentials.

I had no intention of grabbing TB's but I found a Great Canadian Travel Bug Race (GCTBR) TB in each of the caches so I thought "What the Heck!".

I knew I was heading to Sault Ste. Marie and driving back to Calgary so I thought I would many chances to drop these bugs along the way.

Suprised boreal_jeff by dropping them both in his Soo Lock cache Algoma5.

Upon arriving back in Calgary and logging my finds, what do you think I found in my OWN CACHES On Final 28 and Company's Leaving 28. A GCTBR TB (Great Canadian Bear and X-Country Duo Racer) in each cache!

Now this is wierd.... What makes it even more odd is that these are my only two caches within the Calgary city limits!

How do I get caught up in this stuff? icon_eek.gif

"You should learn from the mistakes of others as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

icon_wink.gif Actually, I dropped both of those TBs Balloonatic since I was on my way to Red Deer. I had bookmarked both at the beginning of the race after I helped Red Bear on July 7th. They were great caches by the way. My thinking for both were that if they were placed close enough to the airport, someone would "jet set" them and get them moving. Hmmmm....so far it hasn't worked.

Of course, I also had to go and visit GPS Central in Calgary. GPS Central almost became my only "No find" on the trip. I forgot that Calgary's layout has quarters (ie. SW, SE, NW, NE).

Maybe I should look into converting Company's Leaving 28 into a TB Hotel. The only one we had in Calgary has been plundered. It would only take 10 mins to drive to the Airport from this cache. 5 mins if the Rocket Scientists at the Calgary Planning Department had made Beddington Trail merge onto north bound Deerfoot.

icon_mad.gifWhat's up with that???

"You should learn from the mistakes of others as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Me as well...

It's disappointint - the person (caveguru) who has my TB has visited 13+ caches since he got it but hasn't dropped it off because he's looking for one with "high mobility".

I can't understand why it would take 5+ weeks to find such a cache, nor can I understand why he thinks that it's better for the TB to sit with him and have zero mileage/activity instead of someone else having an opportunity to pick it up and move it.

Needless to say, I don't have much hope... icon_frown.gif

I see some of the TB's are still sitting at the coast. Mine as well. It appears that I can move mine as far as I want but not the others (50 mile rule) If I were to take another Cacher(grandson) to the coast and picked up the TB's would he be considered as a particapant? Would like to see all the TB's on the move.If this is Legal maybe we could get certian people to put thier collection in a cache so I/He could get them all at once. Then we could move them towards the BC/ALTA boarder. Good or bad idea??

quote:
Originally posted by pprefont:

Me as well...

It's disappointint - the person (caveguru) who has my TB has visited 13+ caches since he got it but hasn't dropped it off because he's looking for one with "high mobility".

I can't understand why it would take 5+ weeks to find such a cache, nor can I understand why he thinks that it's better for the TB to sit with him and have zero mileage/activity instead of someone else having an opportunity to pick it up and move it.

Needless to say, I don't have much hope... icon_frown.gif

My TB was picked up by fear1 weeks ago. I've sent him/her a e-mail but didn't get a response.

Is it a strategy by some race entrants to interfere with other bugs so their bugs have a better chance of winning. I could of done that when two of the race travel bugs showed up in one of my caches in Sault Ste. Marie. But I choose not to because it was not in the spirit of the race.

How do they get moose to cross at those yellow road signs?

[This message was edited by boreal jeff & sons on August 12, 2003 at 11:53 AM.]

[This message was edited by boreal jeff & sons on August 12, 2003 at 12:10 PM.]

Well I've mailed the person who has my travel bug (Hayley Hedgehog) a couple of times and no response. Doubt that I'll see her again. Will place her in the UK travel bug graveyard soon. Would love to say its been fun racing but when you don't even get off the starting line, it's very dissapointing.

Good luck to all the other contestants and hope those still in it have a fun race. icon_smile.gif

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Unfortunately, our race travel bug is suffering the same dire consequences as pprefont (and in the same hands). Hopefully, he is monitoring the discussion group and will release both of them back into the wilds.

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)

quote:
Originally posted by DocMagoo:

Hmmm...I don't get ppl that don't look up the directions for the TBs they pick them up. I wonder if Bear Bell and Smokey will recover from going stateside?

_The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message_ icon_wink.gif

I wouldn't be too concerned about these race TB's yet. It could end up being a good move.

How do they get moose to cross at those yellow road signs?

Things are looking up! icon_wink.gif

After being stalled for 7 weeks the Canadian Chinook has finally been set free!

Sure it's 34 miles west into a cache with a 2.5/3 difficulty/terrain rating but at least it's out there!

I don't knows why caveguru felt the need to sabotage the bug but I'm sure karma will pay him back some day...

PS: Id appreciate any help from people on Vancouver Island to get it moving...

I was just in SSM on the 19th and was thinking of sending my wife into Algoma 5 for the two bugs to bring them back to the Kitchener area of Southern Ontario. My wife, because I'm on crutches and even that one was two far.

But it was 30 degrees out © with a 39 humidex so I opted out. Good thing seeing how they were gone!

Even though you enter the wrong waypoint....you're still in the right spot!

Just like to get this thread back up to the top of the list and I have a question...

The rules of this race state...

4). Finish:

a). The first TB to log 8 of the 13 provinces and territories of its choice will be the winner.

;). In the event of a tie, for any finishing position, the TB with the most miles logged will be declared the winner.

c). The race will be deemed completed on October 31, 2003 if no TB's have completed the race by then. The race committee reserves the right to modify this date if circumstances should dictate.

It's not perfectly clear who would win if no TB's hit 8 provinces.

Is it the TB with the most provinces or the TB with the most mileage?

In other words, if the race were to end now would Smokey with 4 provinces and 2731 miles win or would I am Canadian with 3 provinces and 2972 miles win?

I would think that provinces logged would take the prize!

Just curious. icon_rolleyes.gif

Not that my opinion matters in this, but I'd agree that the bug with the most provinces logged should take the prize.

But what about that clause about modifying the date if circumstances should dictate? I'm curious if the race committee has discussed changing the date, and if they do, what do they change it to? Or do we make it sudden death, so it goes on until a bug hits 8 provinces regardless of how long that takes? I understand that could be a problem if it takes too long, but I think we could extend it a fair bit yet. Would 1 year from the race start be too long? I know winter will effectively shut some caches down, but with some of the bugs now in Eastern Canada I'd think we could have a 'real' (8 province) winner before next summer.

Thoughts?

SylvrStorm

I was wondering about this the other day also. I would like to see an extension of the race deadline - not just because my TB (Kung-Fu Hamster) isn't winning, but just because it has been such fun watching all the other bugs travelling around that I would like to see it carry on.

I agree with SsylvrStorm that the discussion around extending the race deadline should be opened up.

quote:
Originally posted by balloonatic:

In other words, if the race were to end now would Smokey with 4 provinces and 2731 miles win or would I am Canadian with 3 provinces and 2972 miles win?

I would think that provinces logged would take the prize!

You're correct. If the race were to end today, Smokey would take first place because of having the most provinces. There are 5 bugs each with 3 provinces and second and third place would go to 'I am Canadian' and 'Xcountry-Duo Racer' respectively based on the miles.

The 5 Canadian Geocoins for 'A non-winning travel bug who has traveled the most miles' would go to 'Jeep Race Bug' regardless of the number of provinces visited.

Smokey 2731.31 miles 4 provinces

I am Canadian 2972.77 miles 3 provinces

Xcountry-Duo Racer 2590.21 miles 3 provinces

Bear Bell 2467.43 miles 3 provinces

Perpendicular Migration 1269.17 miles 3 provinces

Cape Cod 883.03 miles 3 provinces

Jeep Race Bug 2543.21 miles 2 provinces

I hope this clears things up.

White Owl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Based on White Owl's post I think we should end the race this afternoon. icon_wink.gif

The last log on my racer was:

Friday, September 12, 2003

Tripper1 retrieved it from Foxes Den by Dustywalker:

Oh dear looks like this little fella is taking a small side trip. He is waiting for his passport then he is off to Portugal for the winter perhaps he will make his way back to Canada next year.

I've emailed Tripper1 - hopefully the wink in the log is enough to save my racer....